Fall Quarter Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eight143

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking 20 units my first quarter in dental school. I'm planning out my schedule right now so that my family will know what to expect of me when I start school (I'm married with a 2 yr. old).

I'm not a super smart guy, so how much time should I set aside for studying per day/per week without compromising my time with my family? Assume that I would like to get straight A's and not just pass. Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

It's impossible to know for sure how much studying you're going to need to do. If A's across the board is your priority, your best bet might be explaining to your family that you're going to be scarce until you get your bearings; then start out your studying in overkill mode, and gradually pare it back until you find out a) a comfortableish balance between family time and study time, b) you have to sacrifice a little family time to get the grades you want, or c) you're willing to let the grades slide a little in order to keep the QT with your family. Good luck! :D

Looks like we are in the same boat eight143. Something I have done to make it easier on my family, I've already started to study. I got an Immunology text book from the library and also a Micro one as well. I also got the Kaplan study guide for NBDE part 1 and have been reading that. My studies may be misdirected, but this summer I have lots of free time. Better to study than watch Ricky Lake and Judge Judy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all your response!

Craig: what year are your dental decks. Do you think I will profit from it this early. I don't want to study stuf that might just go over my head.

Brand: I agree with you on having misdirected studies. It's kinda hard if pressure is off. How's that kaplan study guide. Do you think it is a helpful tool despite the fact we haven't officially started dental school yet?

Again, thanks to all!

the decks are a great thing! Even if you don't buy mine, i would get a set if your looking for something that will benifit you! They shouldn't be over your head, with a basic sciences background. Some of the dental anatomy may in deed seem foreign, but you will pick up on it quickly! Mine are the green ones, I am not for sure of the year but they don't change much. Mine aren't the new ones but the ones that were out before those!!! But again, the info doesn't change much!

CRAIG