False Caries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGeek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Operative procedures can damage and/or cut odontoblastic processes. This damage can definitely cause the degeneration of the odontoblastic processes. Wouldn't xrays show this degeneration as a false decay???!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

...What?

Radiographs don't image odontoblast processes, they image mineral density. If the dentin is solidly mineralized, it'll appear normal on films; if it's demineralized, it'll appear radiolucent. The presence of absence of odontoblasts has nothing directly to do with it.

aphistis said:
...What?

Radiographs don't image odontoblast processes, they image mineral density. If the dentin is solidly mineralized, it'll appear normal on films; if it's demineralized, it'll appear radiolucent. The presence of absence of odontoblasts has nothing directly to do with it.

Don't odontoblasts lay down & maintain the dentin??!! Doesn't the degeneration of odontoblasts affect dentin in any way???!! Plus, it seems calcium salts get deposited in and around degenerating odontoblastic processes and this can cause the dentin to become transparent. The calcium salts may even obliterate the dentin tubules.

"Calcium salts get deposited in and around [them]...and may even obliterate the tubules."

OK, so we've got more mineral being deposited, and you're suggesting that will cause the dentin to become less radiopaque? I don't know how to phrase it any more plainly than my last post, but what you're describing simply doesn't happen, for the reasons I gave before.

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis said:
"Calcium salts get deposited in and around [them]...and may even obliterate the tubules."

...you're suggesting that will cause the dentin to become less radiopaque? ...

I am not speculating. I just wrote what my book says. My book says that process causes dentin to become transparent. You know more about teeth & xrays. So, I guess I am wrong.

DrGeek said:
I am not speculating. I just wrote what my book says. My book says that process causes dentin to become transparent. You know more about teeth & xrays. So, I guess I am wrong.
To be fair, sometimes you see a dark radiolucent rim around intact resin restorations, but to my understanding that's typically because the dentin-bonding agent is layered too thick. I'm pretty sure I've never seen an intact amalgam, or indirect restoration, with a radiolucent rim like you're describing.

What book are you using?