False Humility Sucks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine2006

Happy Pisces
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are people in here and docs in general that are so falsely humble that they bring attention to their humility (ironic isn't it). In the diploma frame thread there are people saying look at me I'm not even framing my medical diploma. These people are probably the same ones that were too affraid to cheer too load at their med school graduation.

Not me! It took me an extra 4 years compared to the standard student, an extra year of undergrad, 2 years to get an MS, and extra year of med school due to health and other issues that almost took my life. I am proud of my accomplishment of getting a medical degree and I cheered loud at my graduation and so did my classmates. I'm spending big $$ to frame my diploma. In med school I lost a father, a friend, and my pet dog. All of them wanted to be at my graduation and this week I celebrate for them.

I am proud but not obnoxiously so. Things are put in perspective when you almost die while in pursuit of your art and you lose people close to you. I am M.D. and I want the world to know I made it. So go ahead and call me vain but all you know is my glory but don't see my story. I deserve to be vain at least till residency starts and then I'll be humbled again:D

Members don't see this ad.

There are people in here and docs in general that are so falsely humble that they bring attention to their humility (ironic isn't it). In the diploma frame thread there are people saying look at me I'm not even framing my medical diploma. These people are probably the same ones that were too affraid to cheer too load at their med school graduation.

Not me! It took me an extra 4 years compared to the standard student, an extra year of undergrad, 2 years to get an MS, and extra year of med school due to health and other issues that almost took my life. I am proud of my accomplishment of getting a medical degree and I cheered loud at my graduation and so did my classmates. I'm spending big $$ to frame my diploma. In med school I lost a father, a friend, and my pet dog. All of them wanted to be at my graduation and this week I celebrate for them.

I am proud but not obnoxiously so. Things are put in perspective when you almost die while in pursuit of your art and you lose people close to you. I am M.D. and I want the world to know I made it. So go ahead and call me vain but all you know is my glory but don't see my story. I deserve to be vain at least till residency starts and then I'll be humbled again:D

Congrats to you... you perservered.

Hey, I'm proud too. Everyone celebrates their accomplishments in a different way, and I personally think those people who loudly chastise their colleagues for being proud of their accomplishments (calling people obnoxious or rolling their eyes at those who choose to frame/hang their diploma) are being the most arrogant. What is more arrogant that scrutinizing or dictating how someone on their own educational level should or should not feel?

Feel good, feel proud, high-five yourself! If becoming a physician was easy, there wouldn't be such high standards for admission to this field. Plus, as you alluded to, some of us have had to sacrifice much, much more than others to get here which makes that piece of paper all the more sweet. Others who eased into med school or didn't have to give up much may not fully understand. As long as you aren't cutting in front of people in line at the bank or parking in handicapped spots just 'cause you're now a bas-a$$ MD, enjoy this feeling of accomplishment.

Well, seeing as you went through a lot to get your degree, I will say go ahead and frame it. You ought to be proud of yourself.:thumbup:

These people are probably the same ones that were too affraid to cheer too load at their med school graduation.

I won't be "affraid" to ever cheer about loads... but at graduation?

In med school I lost a father, a friend, and my pet dog. All of them wanted to be at my graduation and this week I celebrate for them.

Your dog wanted steak, not a big noisy room full of strangers.

Seriously though, sorry to hear about your trials, and congrats on making it through. Enjoy your time off before internship.

good for you...but get over yourself. you are no different than everyone else. sorry to hear about your troubles, but there is no need to share them while putting down everyone else (indirectly). in the end, your patients are not going to care about your life story OR if your diploma is framed...they just want a competent, compassionate doctor.

good for you...but get over yourself. you are no different than everyone else. sorry to hear about your troubles, but there is no need to share them while putting down everyone else (indirectly). in the end, your patients are not going to care about your life story OR if your diploma is framed...they just want a competent, compassionate doctor.

Yeah, we all (or most of us) may be docs on here....what is your point?

Hey, if the OP had to sacrifice a lot to get to this point and wants to go into the locker room and cheer, let him--I don't think that is overtly arrogant or that he needs to "get over himself." When a team finishes a season, they congratulate each other. The OP isn't out there demanding anything in terms of respect or awe from the general public, he's on a physician message board with a bunch of his peers feeling good about himself after a long, long road (longer than most of us have had to travel, certainly, even if it is for the same result). How is it that in the pre-allo and even the allo forum, everyone is so supportive and encouraging, but you get here and want to stomp all over your colleage because he's proud because he made it and is a physician? That's like completing a marathon and then standing at the finish line chastising slower finishers for celebrating their accomplishment. What do you gain from taking that away from anyone??

Hey, if the OP had to sacrifice a lot to get to this point and wants to go into the locker room and cheer, let him--I don't think that is overtly arrogant or that he needs to "get over himself." When a team finishes a season, they congratulate each other. The OP isn't out there demanding anything in terms of respect or awe from the general public, he's on a physician message board with a bunch of his peers feeling good about himself after a long, long road (longer than most of us have had to travel, certainly, even if it is for the same result). How is it that in the pre-allo and even the allo forum, everyone is so supportive and encouraging, but you get here and want to stomp all over your colleage because he's proud because he made it and is a physician? That's like completing a marathon and then standing at the finish line chastising slower finishers for celebrating their accomplishment. What do you gain from taking that away from anyone??

Thank you very much for your kind support. I have always found it ironic when certain people are capable of being supportive and encouraging of their patients but are aweful to their peers.

Thank you very much for your kind support. I have always found it ironic when certain people are capable of being supportive and encouraging of their patients but are aweful to their peers.

Congrats on what you've accomplished-- sounds like a hard road. I would turn this around a bit though: why pick on people who want to be humble about it? I didn't read the "I'm not even framing my diploma" thread, but I can relate. For some reason, this graduation is not a big deal to me... maybe because I'm older now and it's no longer a symbol for transition to adulthood, and maybe because I'm SO ready to get out and start working, maybe because it's not the toughest accomplishment in my life. I'm going to graduation because my parents want to go, but I refuse to buy any of the bling... it reminds me of Jostlins in high school. This is something that means different things to different people-- I won't rain on other people's parade if they want to invite 30 relatives and order an extra gown to take home, but on the flip side I don't know why lack of excitement would qualify as false humility.

Congrats on what you've accomplished-- sounds like a hard road. I would turn this around a bit though: why pick on people who want to be humble about it? I didn't read the "I'm not even framing my diploma" thread, but I can relate. For some reason, this graduation is not a big deal to me... maybe because I'm older now and it's no longer a symbol for transition to adulthood, and maybe because I'm SO ready to get out and start working, maybe because it's not the toughest accomplishment in my life. I'm going to graduation because my parents want to go, but I refuse to buy any of the bling... it reminds me of Jostlins in high school. This is something that means different things to different people-- I won't rain on other people's parade if they want to invite 30 relatives and order an extra gown to take home, but on the flip side I don't know why lack of excitement would qualify as false humility.

There is a difference between being humble, or not overtly excited about graduating and criticizing your peers. Humble people generally don't outwardly rail their colleages for celebrating their own accomplishments. The most humble people are probably not even posting on this message board. I don't see why it is anyone's business or why anyone would even care how their colleagues celebrate (or don't celebrate) graduating from medical school, which although it may mean different things to different people, is still quite an accomplishment that not many people will ever have a chance to experience. Yet they are here, and the name calling continues.

Maybe you should try selling your sob story to Lifetime network?

How is it that in the pre-allo and even the allo forum, everyone is so supportive and encouraging, but you get here and want to stomp all over your colleage because he's proud because he made it and is a physician? That's like completing a marathon and then standing at the finish line chastising slower finishers for celebrating their accomplishment. What do you gain from taking that away from anyone??

actually the analogy you proposed would be correct if i were to stand at the finish line chastising finishers for celebrating their accomplishment while they boasted about how many pairs of shoes they went through, the injuries they suffered, etc. my point being, at the end of the day, everyone has a story. a humble person doesnt make people aware of their plight.

you graduated medical school but cant spell worth a damn... 'affraid' and 'aweful'

you graduated medical school but cant spell worth a damn... 'affraid' and 'aweful'

You're taking this thread very personally. What is it in you that can not celebrate another person's accomplishment? It smacks of pettiness on your part.

You're taking this thread very personally. What is it in you that can not celebrate another person's accomplishment? It smacks of pettiness on your part.

although i am being petty, i am not taking it personally. people supporting the OP is exactly why i dont like people in medicine...they usually are too full of themselves.

my only point in posting in this thread is to say that thousands of people graduate from medical school each year...and INBD. i dont give props to people just because they have a diff life experience/journey/route in becoming a doctor...its really annoying that they gloat about it.

...its really annoying that they gloat about it.

Nobody is gloating. There is a huge difference between what you claim and pride. It's okay to feel pride in accomplishing something big.

You are correct, you are very petty.

Nobody is gloating. There is a huge difference between what you claim and pride. It's okay to feel pride in accomplishing something big.

You are correct, you are very petty.

haha, thanks for your unsolicited input!

I might frame it if I had the money...but as it is, its a mute point.

you mean "moot"

There are people in here and docs in general that are so falsely humble that they bring attention to their humility (ironic isn't it).

I don't understand what the above statement contributes to your post, except to criticize people who try to be humble. Some people choose not to celebrate graduation and you choose to celebrate it loudly. Who's better???

But congrats on ur accomplishment, as well as to the people who are falsely humble. ;)

Man this sounds like a country song.

Sorry for your trials. We all had some in our own way. Congratulations on graduating and go yell and scream!! You deserve it Doctor!

Yep, false humility would suck.

But there is certainly nothing wrong with someone being truly humble.

Not all humility is false. Just because you can muster it up doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Actually, I was a high school dropout. As you might guess, I had to work pretty hard to make it to medical school. My previous degrees sit in a filing cabinet beside my high school certificate...somewhere. I didn't frame them because they were not what I wanted to achieve, only part of the process of getting there. I wanted to be a physician. Now that I have my MD, I have considered 1) Placing them all on a wall together; or, 2) Putting the MD in the drawer beside them.

Congratualations on getting your MD, it sounds like it hs been a struggle and you should be proud of yourself. However, don't assume that everyone that doesn't shout from the rooftops about their new degree is insincere. My degree doesn't define who I am, it just defines what I career I chose.

ditch