Family Med / Emergency Med Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hdt123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does FM residency prepare you for having to work in an ER every so often? I didn't know if I should be looking into EM fellowships for after my FM residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably program-dependent. IMO, if you want to do any ED work as an FP, you should consider doing an EM fellowship or (better yet) a combined FM/EM residency. Without EM board certification, job options for FM (even w/an EM fellowship) will likely be limited to rural/underserved areas. If you're mainly interested in a rural practice anyway, this may not matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Please to a search. Has been discussed before ad nauseam

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I am hoping this is the right place to ask this question but let me know if not. I am currently planning to work as a rural family practitioner after med school/residency, but from most of my conversations with current physicians and what I've seen shadowing, most of them do rotating weekends in the ER. Does a basic FM residency prepare you for having to work in an ER every so often? I didn't know if I should be looking into EM fellowships for after my FM residency? I also saw there are two programs that do a combined FM/EM residency. From your experience would you say someone looking to do rural FM should be looking into EM fellowships or dual residency programs? I should note that as an HPSP student my military FM residency wouldn't really reflect that of a typical rural FM setting and that is part of my concern. Any advice is appreciated!
Depends how strong the ED education is at your FM program and the number of electives open to you. Potentially you can get enough knowledge without having to do the fellowship route, but I think the fellowship will help if you don't have enough procedural skills

Hey all, I am hoping this is the right place to ask this question but let me know if not. I am currently planning to work as a rural family practitioner after med school/residency, but from most of my conversations with current physicians and what I've seen shadowing, most of them do rotating weekends in the ER. Does a basic FM residency prepare you for having to work in an ER every so often? I didn't know if I should be looking into EM fellowships for after my FM residency? I also saw there are two programs that do a combined FM/EM residency. From your experience would you say someone looking to do rural FM should be looking into EM fellowships or dual residency programs? I should note that as an HPSP student my military FM residency wouldn't really reflect that of a typical rural FM setting and that is part of my concern. Any advice is appreciated!
doesnt say where you are. are you looking to practice family medicine in the fort lee virginia area by any chance? if so i may have just the jobe jobe for you

doesnt say where you are. are you looking to practice family medicine in the fort lee virginia area by any chance? if so i may have just the jobe jobe for you
Outside of Richmond, that's not too far from where I want to be. Anymore info about this job?