family practise job where i work - j1 waiver potential

Started by doctor-mom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hello
I want to pursue a Fm residency on j1
My questions are "general"

Is it true that is very likely to find j1 waiver in FM ?
Do you consider that there is no discrimination in working environment and Salary being on J1 waiver?
I am Mexican so, do you think that being spanish speaker could help finding such a job because of the population and demand?
Do you know any place to apply for residency where I can take advantage of those facts?
Thank you in advance and I wish the best for you and your career.
 
Hi Oziel,
Yes, its very likely to find j1 waiver jobs
I don't think theres discrimination in working env or salary for j1 - you *might* get it from pts but that too unlikely - if they don't like you, they wont come to you. But that's the clinics problem, not yours. Usually underserved populations have a hige shortage so this is usually not a problem
Yes Spanish speaker will always be in demand
Actually any FM residency... The one in Toledo, OH closed down just a few months ago unfrotnately. Apply wide. I think at any program, the program will be happy to have you for residency.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Oziel,
Yes, its very likely to find j1 waiver jobs
I don't think theres discrimination in working env or salary for j1 - you *might* get it from pts but that too unlikely - if they don't like you, they wont come to you. But that's the clinics problem, not yours. Usually underserved populations have a hige shortage so this is usually not a problem
Yes Spanish speaker will always be in demand
Actually any FM residency... The one in Toledo, OH closed down just a few months ago unfrotnately. Apply wide. I think at any program, the program will be happy to have you for residency.

Thank you a lot for your input, sorry but I missed to check this thread , I have passed both step1(223) step2ck(234), 2014 graduate, my goal is to participate for the next match, unfortunately I don have USCE, I am trying to apply to Jackson Memorial Hops in Miami as observer but this cost 1000 a month and take CS, do you have any recomendation for this purpose, I want to apply broadly and use my spanish as a tool as possible. Regarding the j1 waiver do you think is also very likely for IM? What about specialties?
Sorry for the late reply and Thank you once again. 🙂
 
with this type of spelling, no wonder people look down at FM. But @doctor-mom had a great point about being likable. So what do you think works in terms of likability?