1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Family Medicine In Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Epidemic, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Epidemic

Epidemic Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

I'm a Canadian student at an American med school. I'm contemplating coming back to do family med with the possibility of doing the 1 year emergency medicine training. What's family med like in Canada in terms of hours, compensation, etc. Also what is do you see in the emergency department? I ask because here in the States a lot of people complain that the ER is simply a primary care clinic for people without insurance.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rbrun

rbrun arbie
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i noticed the same thing when i lived in the states - backed up EDs with a lot of uninsured patients. the backlog here, from what i have gathered, is due more to the lack of FPs than any other reason. patients show up in the ED when a simple, scheduled visit to their family doctor would have better handled the problem.

3. leviathan

leviathan Drinking from the hydrant
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The EDs are the same here in Canada. Low volume acute patients, high volume "back pain x 15 years" emergencies presenting at 1pm when walk-in family clinics are still open.