Family medicine internship for PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lejeunesage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the official requirements for an internship:

A minimum of four years of graduate medical education from an allopathic or osteopathic medical school are required. Residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation consists of one year of general clinical training (internship / PGY1) followed by three years of physical medicine and rehabilitation training (PGY2-4). Most residents complete a preliminary medicine, transitional, or surgical internship to fulfill this requirement. Other acceptable internships can be done in family medicine, pediatrics, or a traditional osteopathic internship.

Has anyone ever heard of a resident doing their first year in family medicine?
I tried to look for family medicine internships but all I could find were categorical programs.
Would a family med program that didn't fill during the scramble be open to taking a resident for just one year?
Or is this route only open to people who want to go into family medicine and then change their mind?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall it's going to be program dependent as what would be acceptable.

As far as I know there are no FM internships. Residents going into PM&R do intern year as a TY / PM / PS.

Now if you choose a different specialty and then want to switch into PM&R at some point in your residency then it depends on what specialty you choose and if your rotations meet the requirements for a preliminary internship for the PM&R program that you want to go to.

Thats really all there is to say about it.

As stated above, there are no FM internships. The statement the OP copied is referring to people that match into FM and then opt to change specialties.

I do not know of any FM program that would take someone for just one year, even if they had an empty space. I'd imagine most would prefer to hold onto hope they could match someone late or off-cycle.

Many TY programs can be similar to FM's intern year, as can a few prelim medicine programs. Obviously prelim surg and prelim peds are going to differ though.