Family medicine salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dylanh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the affordable care act took place many more people have insurance. that means many more patients for GPs. does this mean that the salary of fp pa will also increase? I am interested in fp and was wondering if 100k+ will be the norm anytime soonin the near future ?

Members don't see this ad.

unlikely that it will the norm. remember all the newly insured folks have Medicaid.
FP range 75-85 to start with cap around 110 or so for most folks after many years.

Depends if your FP is actually on a salary or is independent, also where you practice makes a huge difference in patient pathology. A PA working for an independent FP in a rural or under served area area will earn a lot more in money (and will work twice as much) than a PA working for a salary at a low income hospital clinic or at a college infirmary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends if your FP is actually on a salary or is independent, also where you practice makes a huge difference in patient pathology. A PA working for an independent FP in a rural or under served area area will earn a lot more in money (and will work twice as much) than a PA working for a salary at a low income hospital clinic or at a college infirmary.
agree. the rural medicine fp pas I work with take call, see hospital pts, do treadmills, have a pt panel, etc.
The urban fp pas I work with write rx refills all day long and treat low acuity same day walk in pts.

More people might be covered, but you have higher deductables to deal with, and that still keeps folks away because they still have some large out of pocket expenditures. And hey, that's less money for cigarettes and pay per view fights. Oh and alcohol, lotto tickets, junk food, coffee runs, and all the other stuff that our culture prioritizes over letting money burn a hole in a savings account.... If you are even lucky enough to have a job in the first place.

More people might be covered, but you have higher deductables to deal with, and that still keeps folks away because they still have some large out of pocket expenditures. And hey, that's less money for cigarettes and pay per view fights. Oh and alcohol, lotto tickets, junk food, coffee runs, and all the other stuff that our culture prioritizes over letting money burn a hole in a savings account.... If you are even lucky enough to have a job in the first place.

meaning?

?

Meaning people still have very high costs even though they have coverage. Basically, in the new landscape people have insurance plans that cover some basic preventive measures, but also come with high deductibles. I used to have great insurance coverage, but because of the new health care law, my employer seized the opportunity to change employee coverage to "match" what is offered under the ACA, and now I have a high cost, high deductable plan. And many of my patients don't have jobs, and with little income, even if they could cover premiums after receiving subsidies, they still have to eat the cost of the high deductible before their insurance kicks in.

do u see the $$ going up for Primary care pAs?