I want to work in family medicine/ primary care.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted830324

I am a current freshman in college and I go to a community college. I have though about going to medical school but I really don’t see myself going that route and have read that if you want to go into primary care you shouldn’t go to Med school because you rack up so much debt. I love the concept of primary care and would like to build up a good relationship with patients and be trusted even though I won’t be an actual physician. I have thought about earning my Associates Of Science and then transfering to a four year and getting my BSN. Would it be wise to try and work as a nurse in a primary care physicians office after passing the NCLEX? What really made me second and third guess going to Med school was when I bought an MCAT prep book. I don’t think I could do well on the MCAT. Should I just go the NP route since I just want to do primary care?

Members don't see this ad.

What really made me second and third guess going to Med school was when I bought an MCAT prep book. I don’t think I could do well on the MCAT. Should I just go the NP route since I just want to do primary care?

Yeah, with that attitude you won't. Stop second guessing yourself - you're young and have plenty of time. If you want to be a primary care doc, go for it. Sure, there's debt and you don't get paid as much as a surgeon, but better to do something you love than make money and hate your life. There's nothing wrong with being an NP either, but do it because you want to, not because you don't think you will make it into med school. Good luck.

Agree with blizzard. I did well as a PA(almost 200k range back in 2006-2009) but I went back to medical school. I Would have questioned myself forever if I never went back.