Family Members Who Attended A Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stratus2675

Bronx Bomber
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of an edge do you think it gives (if any) an applicant who has had family members who attended a Med School?

I have a classmate that mentioned she has 2 sisters who went to the same med school. Once she told me that, I figured she was a lock to get in.

Members don't see this ad.

I figure some schools practice a bit of legacy in giving family members a little bonus, but that's not going to come even close to the importance of GPA, MCAT or combined ECs.

I had a school refund my application fee because I had a family member who went there.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. If they ask you whether your family went there, it's a good bet they have a legacy program of some sort. This doesn't mean acceptance, but a friend of mine got an interview guarantee for the school her dad attended.

Otherwise, they don't care.

I heard that it depends on how old/how much money the connection has given the school...

ie, if your siblings went there for med school but are still doing their residencies - probably not that big of a chance. BUT, if your parents went there and have donated...probably bigger chance and they'll probably get a letter asking for donations soon after you send in your secondary.

then again..this is all just hearsay...

What if it's your fiancee that graduated from there a few years ago? Not much help, hunh?

I don't think having "MDs in your genes" should matter. If anything, it helps reinforce your perspective of the profession, much like getting first hand clinical experience does.

You absolutely have to know what you're getting yourself into. You need inspiration. You have to have a good role model. Those things come easy when family members are physicians, but not much easier than if you have friends or neighbors who are.

I really admire those students who had to search beyond their own backyards for that stuff. To me it demonstrates determination and dedication, not just the ability to follow branches of the family tree.

daphne said:
I really admire those students who had to search beyond their own backyards for that stuff. To me it demonstrates determination and dedication, not just the ability to follow branches of the family tree.

First of all, people with doctors in the family are not just "following branches of the family tree". Did it occur to you that maybe there is a common interest? MEdicine is not an easy path; its not like getting a plum business position bc of who your daddy is. You still have to put in all the hard work and I doubt many people default to medicine.

Secondly, determination and dedication are not products of what your parents do, but of how hard you work.

For what its worth, I have gotten interviews at all schools where a family member attended (three different ones), but the fact that my mom graduated from one of these schools and is currently on the faculty did not get me in. In fact, I personally think it may have made them scrutinize me more because they didnt want to give "special favors".

kiwie07 said:
agreed - i know for a fact that for residency matches (at harvard), it's harder if you're already connected b/c they don't want to be accused of favoritism/nepotism. but then it also depends on the residency etc directors for that year.
I was told that the only thing that they consider if you are related to an alum or faculty at an institution is that they give "professional courtesy". Which adds up to they will look at you but if you do not have the grades, scores, and ECs then your out of luck.

stinkycheese said:
First of all, people with doctors in the family are not just "following branches of the family tree". Did it occur to you that maybe there is a common interest? MEdicine is not an easy path; its not like getting a plum business position bc of who your daddy is. You still have to put in all the hard work and I doubt many people default to medicine.

Secondly, determination and dedication are not products of what your parents do, but of how hard you work.

For what its worth, I have gotten interviews at all schools where a family member attended (three different ones), but the fact that my mom graduated from one of these schools and is currently on the faculty did not get me in. In fact, I personally think it may have made them scrutinize me more because they didnt want to give "special favors".

Amen to that. My dad happens to be a family practice physician, and that provided me with a decent amount of exposure to medicine (in addition to exposure I gained on my own accord) as well as a realistic view of a medical career. But if anything, my dad kind of tried to encourage me NOT to go into medicine... after all, things are a lot different (*cough* way worse *cough*) for doctors now than what they were 30 years ago when he got his MD! Of course he's happy that I chose medicine because he knew it was what I really wanted, but I can say it was DEIFNITELY not just following branches of the family tree.

How far removed can the relative be to have an effect. My grandfather went to tufts and gave them lots of money. However, I don't they will refund my secondary fee if I get rejected :) , knowing their money troubles and all. What about the time when they went to medical school or if they are even alive anymore. My grandfather went to medical school before WWII, and has been deceased for quite some time.