family practice vs. general internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sense

Sensible User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone that was knowledgeable in the area can tell me the difference between general IM and FP. Are there significant differences between the two and what qualities are needed for each. I read the FAQ and it was very informative but I am curious to learn more about IM.

Also, what is your opinion on the job outlooks of both fields. I have heard many times on SDN that midlevel providers are just as qualified in doing the job of an FP so FPs salaries may fall as a result. Would this also apply to general IM or is this less pronounced?

I have been interested for some time in FP but I am also worried that my salary would go down and it would be harder to pay off debt. Is general IM any better than the situation of family practice or am I worried for nothing about both specialties. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

FP = takes care of 'families.' those of ALL ages, including that preverse species known as the pregnant woman.

IM = adults only.

I dont think general IM is any more lucrative than FP or any more immune from midlevel impingement.

Just to pull this string a bit more -

what is ment by general practice? Is it the same as IM or FP?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the way I was told to understand it by a family physician. A general practitioner is given this title when they have completed a pgy1 year and then go out to practice. Some states, however, require two years.

A family physician is not a general practitioner neither is a IM doc. They are specifically specialized in the area of family medicine and Internal medicine.

The terminology seems to get mixed up a lot.

In terms of what you make as a general practitioner? I would think it would be the same as a family practitioner. Your scope of practice is unlimited like a family practitioner. The only difference is 1-2 years of training difference. Bonified general practitioners are generally found in small towns, or rural areas where as long as your hold the title of DO or MD, people will come. Many who have found medicine to no longer meet their fancy and just want to get out as fast as possible also take this route so at least they can practice medicine.

IM training has more depth in adult diseases and spends more time in residency taking care of hospitalized (sicker) patients. And all those subspecialties that you see in the FAQ are not opened to FPs, except geriatrics and sports medicine.

It should be said, however, that as a family practice doc, you might be in charge of taking care of hospitalized patients and possibly even critically ill. Furthermore, ER duties are often delegated to FP.

The above situation occurs most often in rural areas and smaller hospitals. The way medicine is going, however, FP no longer need to work in the hospital especially in large cities. Most insurance plans, will contract out with a IM hospitalist groups.

I personally think I would prefer FP. However, I'm pretty scared about all this talk about midlevel providers taking over their jobs since they can do basically the same job for less. This could drive down the FP salary. I wouldn't mind if I didn't have to pay a $220K debt. Anyone have thoughts on that?

from what I understand, the old GP's are a thing of the past, and I'm sure most FP's, IM's, etc really don't like being referred to as "GPs" since they've done more training than the old GP's. To get a medical license you need to do a 1-year internship (I guess it's 2-years in some states). But to actually have somebody (HMO, insurance company, hospital, etc) pay you to practice (or give you priviledges)you need to have completed a residency (and probably one that at least qualifies you to sit for your specialty exam - whether it's IM, FP, radiology...). There are probably very few people who only complete an internship - perhaps those going straight into research or a career where they don't need to manage patients but a medical license helps. Perhaps this is what Dr. Nick Rivera did - does he only accept cash and not have any hospital priviledges?

Dude don't bother going into FP or IM. PAs and NPs have taken over most of the jobs. In a recent report the Bureau of Labor Statistics has speculated that there won't be any Physicians in FP or IM by 2032. By the way did you know the word Gullible is not in the dictionary.

TheBestEver said:
Dude don't bother going into FP or IM. PAs and NPs have taken over most of the jobs. In a recent report the Bureau of Labor Statistics has speculated that there won't be any Physicians in FP or IM by 2032.
Is there any credence to this claim? Hey bestever you wouldn't by any chance be MacGuyver would you?