Internal medicine board recertification exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dow88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am due for my Internal medicine board recertification exam next year
Needed help from recent exam takers regarding the preparation of exam
What review courses are good especially
b/w MKSAP 19 vs Uworld vs pass machine or medstudy
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am due for my Internal medicine board recertification exam next year
Needed help from recent exam takers regarding the preparation of exam
What review courses are good especially
b/w MKSAP 19 vs Uworld vs pass machine or medstudy
Thank you

Don't re-certify! Joint the NBPAS instead!

National Board of Physicians and Surgeons

Or, I guess, see this thread . . .

Reactions: 1 user
Just took mine last Fall and passed.
There is a huge cyclical sticky thread on the exam, mostly for first time ABIM test takers but still relevant.

My thoughts were posted there. Here's a snippet -
If you have an average knowledge base going into board prep, I'd spend at least six months studying approx 30-60 minutes daily.
It depends what type of learner you are, but I love question banks as opposed to lectures.

The key with question banks is to read the full answer explanation even with questions you got right. Understand more of the right answer in depth along with ALL the wrong answers. Here and there, find something about it that interests you and look it up in UpToDate.
I mostly used question banks to study and retain knowledge (not timed). A month prior to the exam date, I took a couple timed practice tests (NEJM question bank).

For questions where you have no clue to the answer, practice using UpToDate (in real-time) and give yourself only 30-45 secs to find the answer. It will help you pace yourself for the exam. Assuming you have not accrued extra time answering some questions quickly, I estimate you have about 30 secs per 2 minute question to find an answer on the open book test. I believe I got a small handful of questions correct this way for bizarre/rare diseases where I had narrowed it down the answer to two choices, or a quick fact lookup (a know it or don't question). For more complex management questions, you won't find your answer in time in UpToDate so don't bother.

Use AnkiDroid/Anki to make any necessary flash cards as you go along with the questions. They don't expire like flash cards in the question banks, can be combined with other learning materials, and are highly customizable since you make them yourself. Take turns going through a question bank by organ system/discipline, and then review a set of flash cards from prior material. I wound up with 1063 flash cards over a one year time frame, and could go through a batch of one specialty flash cards (50-150 cards) fairly quickly after a while.

So, this is a fairly active process. One is not simply consuming the question banks, reviewing the answer and moving on. It is much more involved than that. It is active learning and retention through repetition. Some nights after work I might only get through 10-15 questions, then I'd review a batch of previously created flash cards.

Every question you get wrong studying, is one you'll get right on the real exam. So focus, as opposed to avoiding, where you are scoring the worst. That's your highest yield even though it certainly doesn't feel good at the time.

Banks I used/tried:

NEJM knowledge plus
Well written questions of moderate to high complexity
Good explanation of right and wrong answers
Nice that it recycles your incorrect answers until you get it right. (But this memory did not persist - hence Flashcards!)
Has two high quality practice exams which I used a few weeks prior to the exam date.
You can reshuffle your questions to review again, but not by organ system.
You can't reset the question bank in order to focus on areas you have the least knowledge.
CME/MOC included

UWorld
Well written questions of moderate to high complexity
Good explanation of right and wrong answers
Some answers have wonderful algorithms, flow diagrams, tables. These are absolutely amazing.
For some reason despite the complexity of some questions, I felt the bank a bit more real world value to my practice for infrequent but expected scenarios. I liked that and find myself still (infrequently) using my flash cards from this question bank.
You can review all your questions, albeit answers marked, by organ system.
You can reset the question bank once. Do this near the end of your studying program (1 month?). Since there are no separate practice exams, this provides an opportunity for timed practice exams or reviewing all the material once more.
The visual format is the same as the exam. I felt very comfortable with the exams graphical interface on exam day.
No CME/MOC

Medstudy
Significant number of questions seemed poorly written or with silly scenarios in order to get you to the question at hand.
Some questions seemed overly simple, some oddly complex.
Still had learning value though.
Answers less detailed
I stopped using it. Maybe you'll like it more than I did. That is when I reset my UWorld bank to review some of my worst performance areas.

Looking back, I'd just use UWorld and Board Basics. Start a minimum of 6 months out (I recommend 8-12 months).
The key is how you use them. Don't just consume the questions. Make studying an active process.

Key ways to use the materials:
Make flash cards (AnkiDroid) and review them often. It gets faster as you retain more.
Practice giving yourself 30 secs in UpToDate to find the answer to questions you don't know.
EKG test bank for free in App stores
Read all answers for every question in the question bank, even if you get it right
Explore topics of interest in UpToDate to expand and solidify your knowledge. It's a good break from the monotony too.
Take note of UpToDate's differential diagnosis section while you are there.
Alternate flash cards with question banks to improve your attention span.
Repetition with the flash cards to ensure you remember the answers come exam time.
Focus on your worst areas, but rationally balanced by their percent representation on the ABIM topic breakdown.
Take a couple practice exams to learn how to time yourself.
Consider adding NEJM if your base knowledge is poor as noted by your UWorld score ( <55-60%???)
Consider going deeper into Board basics if your knowledge base could be better.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.