Family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saluki

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I was reading through the interview feedback, and a frequently asked question was "Tell me about your family".... If your parents were evil and abusive and going away to boarding school was the best thing that ever happened to you, what do you say? Do you tell 'em the truth or do you fudge?
Don't get me wrong... I'm not wanting to lie, but it seems like that is supposed to be one of the lighter, more easygoing get to know you questions, so to say I'm the child of the antiChrist doesn't seem the best foot to get off on....

Members don't see this ad.

mashce said:
OK, I was reading through the interview feedback, and a frequently asked question was "Tell me about your family".... If your parents were evil and abusive and going away to boarding school was the best thing that ever happened to you, what do you say? Do you tell 'em the truth or do you fudge?
Don't get me wrong... I'm not wanting to lie, but it seems like that is supposed to be one of the lighter, more easygoing get to know you questions, so to say I'm the child of the antiChrist doesn't seem the best foot to get off on....

you tell them you don't have a good relationship with them but that having to do things on our own has taught you what you are made of. They will see that it's a sensitive topic and, if they have any tact, they will move on.

Tell the truth. I have a great relationship with my parentals, but they always ask me about my sister. She is a "WILD CHILD". They get the point that she and I are total opps and they do not pry.

mashce said:

I have a pretty messed up family too. Be honest about your family. It came up in every interview I went on and it is viewed as a strength if you can work past it and still get where you are today. Many people who have had traumatic childhoods grow up to have a chip on their shoulders, so this is the only thing that would not look good in an interview. Anyone who finds the question "tell me about your family" an easy question is either in denial or is only superficially answering the question. Honesty is key in the interview. Good Luck!