Famous Cardiologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copacetic

Copacetic Was Here!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im practically in love with cardiology and would like to learn more about the big names in cardiology. Ive been involved with EP research for about 3 years now and i'm wondering if you guys know any big names in cardiology.

the only one i know of is, can you put a name, and also the field they are known for. I will start.

Eugene Downar - EP

....this is going to be fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Sharon Hunt - Stanford
William T. Abraham - Ohio State
Gary Francis - Case Western
Lynne Warner Stevenson - BWH

There are a few for CHF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Helen Taussig and Vivien Thomas for Hypoplastic Left Heart

Braunwald - Maybe the biggest name.

Joseph Loscalzo-Brigham, also Editor in Chief of Circulation

Umm... Willis Hurst... without a doubt the biggest name

It does depend on which area of cardiology you're talking about (EP, interventional, general, lipidology, vascular, echocardiography, etc.). Each has their own stars - some not even actual cardiologists, but they rewrite AHA/ACC guidelines.

Almost everyone agrees Eugene Braunwald is the biggest. I also get somewhat of an impression that a major shift in figures may be in process.

P.S. Follow http://www.theheart.org, and you'll learn the big names quickly.

Last edited:
It does depend on which area of cardiology you're talking about (EP, interventional, general, lipidology, vascular, echocardiography, etc.). Each has their own stars - some not even actual cardiologists, but they rewrite AHA/ACC guidelines.

Almost everyone agrees Eugene Braunwald is the biggest. I also get somewhat of an impression that a major shift in figures may be in process.

P.S. Follow http://www.theheart.org, and you'll learn the big names quickly.

Any examples?

I tend to wander around the preventive cardiology side of the cardiology world.

In that arena, we have Ira Goldberg and Peter Jones - all nationally known lipidology experts. We also have Aaron Folsom, also a nationally known epidemiological expert in cardiovascular risk factors.

I'll try looking into other fields, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Andreas Grundfeldt (spelling) was from Switzerland and was also at Emory in Atlanta supposedly invented cardiac cath.. Unfortunately he died in a plane crash..:(

Jan Evangelista Purkyně -
From my part of the world.

Eugene Braunwald, former editor of Harrison's and namesake of Braunwald's Heart Disease is a giant, probably the biggest name for most people. His name will invariably pop up on most papers published by the TIMI Group. As is Hurst, of Hurst's the Heart. Grundsfelt was the first man to perform cardiac catheterization in the United States, at Emory. As far as electrophysiology, Mark E. Josephson, is the founder of modern electrophysiology and the pioneer of the substrate trigger hypothesis that has led to the emergence of the field of VT ablation. Lee Goldman, who I believe is at UCSF is a big name (revised Goldman cardiac risk index for pre-op risk stratification). Loscalzo is big, Chair of Medicine at BWH and big in pulmonary hypertension, etc. Sam Goldhaber is a major figure in venous thromboembolism. In terms of accomplishments outside of medicine, Bernard Lown along with one of his Russian cardiology colleagues was the winner of the 1985 Nobel Peace Prize, seeking the abolition of nuclear weapons through founding Physician's for Social Responsibility and International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War. I apologize for a list that is heavily skewed toward Boston.

And Tinsley Randolph Harrison was an Internist with a clinical interest in cardiovascular disease, although I don't believe cardiology existed as a well-differentiated field during his time.

Masood Akhtar MD
St. Luke's Medical Center (Milwaukee)
One of the top electrophysiologists in the world currently

Valentin Fuster-Mount Sinai Heart

Andreas Grundfeldt (spelling) was from Switzerland and was also at Emory in Atlanta supposedly invented cardiac cath.. Unfortunately he died in a plane crash..:(
It was Gruentzig and he was a Kraut, not Swiss. Dude invented balloon angioplasty and they named the interventional suite after him at Emory, where he was recruited hard back in the early 80's.

I'd recommend the book "Journey into the Heart" by Monagan. It's basically Gruentzig's rags to riches life story and how cardiology proceeded to dominate all of medicine in the 20th century thanks to the invasive techniques pioneered by he and others in the field. Plus it's an easy read.
ref=sr_1_8

Interventional Cardiology:

William O'Neill, MD. Now at UMiami.

Check pubmed. He's unbelievably well known and regarded. And published.

D712

Dr.Andrea Natale for electrophysiology specifically atrial fibrillation.

myself, in 15 years

okay, just kidding

carry on

The jury is still out over his hs-CRP assay. And I really do mean it when i say it's still out.

Famous? Yes, for his work on inflammation and atherosclerosis, although one Dr. D.F. Davies seems to pre-date most everyone on the concept.

For shame . . .
No one has put Harvey Feigenbaum - authority in echocardiography.