FAP and getting married during the app cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am eligible for FAP. I am planning to apply in 2023. There is no way I can afford app fees on my own income. I am tentatively planning to get married Nov 2023. The need to report spousal income will place me above 400% FPL and thus not eligible for FAP but I still can't afford the app fees. We are in a high COL area and pay an arm and a leg for rent, which places us on a tight budget for other stuff.

Will the act of getting married mid-cycle affect FAP eligibility?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope. Just apply and get approved some time in 2022. They will only look to spousal income as of 12/31/21, and your benefits will be good until 12/31/23.

Assuming your information is accurate and complete at the time of submission, there is no requirement, or even ability, to update it once approved.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mind it will probably affect financial aid at most places, which will cost a lot more than any effect on fap

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind it will probably affect financial aid at most places, which will cost a lot more than any effect on fap
But it is far easier and more affordable (in terms of interest rates) to take student loans than it is to borrow (credit card) for application fees and expenses.

Reactions: 2 users
But it is far easier and more affordable (in terms of interest rates) to take student loans than it is to borrow (credit card) for application fees and expenses.
True, and @voxveritatisetlucis' point had nothing to do with OP's question, but he's not wrong. If OP might be eligible for financial aid, the smart financial move would be to put off getting married until after MS4, UNLESS the spouse will make less than the parents, and schools won't look at parental income or assets if the student is married, in which case OP is doing exactly the right thing!

Last edited:

That's true, but I'm turning 30 soon and having kids is a concern, which outweighs this in our situation.

I really appreciate your reply. I am sure this is a question that applies to many people given how many people get married in their mid-20s which is also about the average age for matriculation!

I have the same concerns! I just applied for FAP to avoid this problem since if approved, benefits are eligible until 12/31/2023. We're doing elopment pics in early summer of 2023 and getting officially married during M1 (court signing), so I can at least benefit from 1 year of financial assistance. I'm interested in your plans though or any chat group of nontrad, female med applicants if there is one!

I have the same concerns! I just applied for FAP to avoid this problem since if approved, benefits are eligible until 12/31/2023. We're doing elopment pics in early summer of 2023 and getting officially married during M1 (court signing), so I can at least benefit from 1 year of financial assistance. I'm interested in your plans though or any chat group of nontrad, female med applicants if there is one!

I am glad I was able to (indirectly) help!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! :)

I like your idea of doing elopement pictures before getting formally married. This is my rare opportunity to wrangle J to let me take a picture of him. He's a master photo dodger.12 years and I have managed two pictures of us together and two of him on his own. All four because his mom made him, lol.

I don't know of any female nontrad group chats, but we should get something like that going if you are interested! Maybe we can put an ad out on the nontrad forum and then figure something out whether that be a large group PM or a GroupMe or what. We are a growing demographic that share a lot of the same issues and it would be nice to have a community! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Will the act of getting married mid-cycle affect FAP eligibility?
Sorry, I don't have anything helpful to offer, but I just wanted to say that I am also getting married in 2024 and congrats! :)

• Love