FAP and Parental Income as a Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eccesignum

I Narcanned Your Honor Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So having played around with application fee numbers and really hammered it home that applying alone is going to put a nice hurt on my finances (as it is for most, I imagine), I glanced at AAMC's fee assistance program.

...and then promptly lost heart. I'm 34 and haven't been financially dependent on my parents for over a decade, but according to FAP: "The Fee Assistance Program, unlike some federally funded programs, does not draw distinctions based on your dependent or independent status for tax purposes, therefore, parental financial information and supporting tax documentation are required. Parental information is viewed independently from applicant data, but must also fall within eligibility guidelines. This requirement cannot be waived on the basis of your marital status, age, or tax filing status."

My father's income is higher than mine (my mother is retired), but they're not financially involved in this process and I couldn't ask them to be with my father also on the verge of retiring. It's quite disheartening.

Has anyone here been successful at applying for FAP under a similar circumstance?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in a similar situation and was approved this year. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific ?s.

Reactions: 1 user