Fast-track out of IM institution?

Started by mud_phud
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mud_phud

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'll be an intern this July and am considering fast-tracking (just graduated MD/PhD). I'm wondering if it is possible to fast track out of the institution I'll be at for IM. My wife does not want to stay in the city of my IM program for the next who-knows number of years so fast-tracking at the same place is not really an option. Anyone have personal experience with this or know of somebody who has done this? I've heard of this for less competitive specialties (hem/onc and ID specifically) but have not heard of this for cardiology.

Oh, if it matters, my research was not in cards but I am well published and will be at a competitive residency.

Thanks.
 
Of course it is. You just apply for fellowship during intern year. You have to get support from the residency. Most residencies will allow it. Some, for logistical reasons, won't- for instance, if the residency is backloaded. It's also probably a good idea to get a few weeks in the subspecialty before you apply for letters.