Fastest Secondary to Interview Time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aleyna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had the experience to say, or knew anyone with the experience to say, which schools are especially fast?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone had the experience to say, or knew anyone with the experience to say, which schools are especially fast?

U Pitt often gets back to people within 48 hours or fewer.

Also, at least one school (U Mich, I think? If not, can someone correct me?) actually sends out interviews to the star applicants before they even turn in their secondaries...

Sub'd USC sec 2 days before Dec 1 deadline, got invite 1-2 days later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanderbilt somehow manages to go back in time to invite you before you fill out the secondary.

It's not so much funny as it is a really good system. Vanderbilt only requests secondaries from those they interview. Makes a lot of sense to me actually. It's their way of finding out more about you without wasting your time and money. I personally think a lot of schools should follow suit.

It's not so much funny as it is a really good system. Vanderbilt only requests secondaries from those they interview. Makes a lot of sense to me actually. It's their way of finding out more about you without wasting your time and money. I personally think a lot of schools should follow suit.

Secondaries are also a great way for schools to earn a few extra bucks. Sure, they're preying on anxious and excited little pre-meds, but that's just one of the
facts of the process. If a school only interviews 800 students, then that's only 800 secondaries that they get (and only 800 application fees), but if a school sends secondaries to 3,000 applicants, that's a whole lot more money coming in via fees.

I wonder if schools that send secondaries AFTER interviews have higher fees to compensate for this...

I resonate with you all.

I understand that admissions committee can be overwhelmed by the shear volume of applications. Still, if they're going to ask for a secondary app, and another ~$100+ in fees, I think they at least owe it to us to read the application, and maybe state why you're not qualified, as opposed to the form letter to tell you you're rejected. They could have ran the numbers through their magic equation filters from looking at your AMCAS app.

I have SOOO much more respect for the schools that actually perform some sort of a screen on the AMCAS application. Even though I'm dissappointed I haven't heard from UCLA and UCSF about a reject or secondary yet, they have climbed the charts in my books. -- I was an August MCATer, so all my papers got processed very late. I'm losing hope though.

I feel really scammed by this whole process.

Furthermore, I don't understand the complaint that this country and the world is short of good doctors. It doesn't make the school any less prestigious if they accept say 0.4% as opposed to 0.2% of the applicant pool. You'd think that with each student spending close to $60,000 a year, they could hire a couple extra profs.

I just don't understand.

I hope there will be some sort of a reform on this process in the near future. Any lawyers out there with an opinion on this?

The schools are really preying on desparation. I've spent about $5,000 and have yet to go on a single interview. I also know my cost is below average so far.

after turning in their respective secondaries, i got a upitt interview and a duke interview in less than a day.

OSU invites some people the second they turn in their secondary application, even if they're not complete (i.e. if references are missing or whatever). They do some auto-invites based on pure stats. And I think there's another school or two that does this, though I forget which.

I would have to say Vanderbilt is the fastest, since you really can't beat getting your secondary and interview at the same time. What is also amazing about Vanderbilt Med Admission is that on top of them only getting money from those who interview, their secondary fee is also one of the least expensive at only $50!

I agree with JP7. It is a scam--considering the $$ sent to each of these universities with secondary applications, the very LEAST they could do is acknowledge your application and send out a generic e-mail or something, saying, "Thanks, but we've chosen not to interview you." To not even hear from them is totally rude and bogus and I don't care how many apps they receive. It is typical of what happens when you apply for a position in corporate America, but at least then you're not sending in money with the application. You'd think Medical Schools would be above that behavior.

Man, and all along I thought my Downstate response was fast, took them about 3-4 weeks to get back to me with an invite.

The only thing I got faster was a rejection from Rochester lol.