Fat Doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morehouse

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on overweight or fat doctors? Imagine being an overweight cardiologist or general practitioner and telling your similarly-overweight patients to lose weight or their hypertension will accelerate.

I think fat doctors are a perfect example of individuals who don't practice what they preach. Spare me the phrase "just because you're fat doesn't mean you're unhealthy", we all know that's a lie.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your thoughts on overweight or fat doctors? Imagine being an overweight cardiologist or general practitioner and telling your similarly-overweight patients to lose weight or their hypertension will accelerate.

I think fat doctors are a perfect example of individuals who don't practice what they preach. Spare me the phrase "just because you're fat doesn't mean you're unhealthy", we all know that's a lie.

Agreed. As a patient, I wouldn't take very seriously a doctor who asked me to watch me diet and regularly exercise if he/she were overweight. That's like having your personal trainer being overweight.

The goal of a doctor is to keep others healthy, and I think appearing unhealthy yourself is almost contradictory to our profession. Either lose weight or become a surgeon.

I should be studying biochem and genetics, but I'd rather procrastinate and respond to this. I agree with you on this point, that most doctors need to be healthy and at a reasonable weight for patients to be able to take them seriously with a few notable exceptions:
1) pediatricians - over weight people in this specialty might appear more "jolly" a-la Santa Claus and have better rapport with kids

2) Ob/Gyn - since a big part of their job is dealing with people who are in good health but are trying to pop out a kiddie its not necessarily hypocritical for them to take care of patients.

In reality, it would be difficult for me to tell patients to eat healthier, quit drinking, quit smoking, or quit doing drugs if I had the same problem as them (my bs-o-meter would explode from being too overworked).

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. As a patient, I wouldn't take very seriously a doctor who asked me to watch me diet and regularly exercise if he/she were overweight. That's like having your personal trainer being overweight.

The goal of a doctor is to keep others healthy, and I think appearing unhealthy yourself is almost contradictory to our profession. Either lose weight or become a surgeon.

:laugh:

What surprises me is how some of the people I went to med school with are letting themselves go so fast. Okay, a few friends are starting to go bald at a young age which isn't easy to prevent, but unless you're a resident being forced to work 100 hours a week for a few years or churning 3 jobs to make ends meet (I know doctors that only earn 5000 dollars a year so having multiple part-time jobs isn't uncommon), well you should have time to have exercise at least once a week. I go figure ice skating once a week.. and I'm well, kind of underweight.

There is one person I knew from med school that used to have a really athletic body and used to play American football and now he's getting chubby. Every time I see him he pulls on more and more weight. I know that when you are a resident you don't have much energy to stay fit, but it's just 4 years of your life and you will have some time off to try to stay fit. Even if you have 3 jobs you will still have 8 hours of freebie time on a weekend or something to go to the gym.

He doesn't understand calories in / calories out? Shouldn't need to exercise too much to maintain weight...

At the hospital where I train there is a pulmonologist who chain smokes. Go figure.

I should be studying biochem and genetics, but I'd rather procrastinate and respond to this. I agree with you on this point, that most doctors need to be healthy and at a reasonable weight for patients to be able to take them seriously with a few notable exceptions:
1) pediatricians - over weight people in this specialty might appear more "jolly" a-la Santa Claus and have better rapport with kids

2) Ob/Gyn - since a big part of their job is dealing with people who are in good health but are trying to pop out a kiddie its not necessarily hypocritical for them to take care of patients.

In reality, it would be difficult for me to tell patients to eat healthier, quit drinking, quit smoking, or quit doing drugs if I had the same problem as them (my bs-o-meter would explode from being too overworked).

It isn't even ok in those fields. Heck, pediatrics it is especially NOT ok. You can be jolly and kind without being fat.

Surgery isn't good to be fat either. Being on your feet all day is tough enough when you aren't carrying extra pounds. Plus, fat people are absolutely AWFUL to do surgery on.

He doesn't understand calories in / calories out? Shouldn't need to exercise too much to maintain weight...

NOOOOOO NOOOO NOOOOOOO

MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED

Calories In/Calories Out is a myth.

Think about wild animals--Do you ever see fat cheetahs or fat hyenas on the Discovery Channel? No? Think about why that is. (Hint: It's not because they're counting their calories).

Last edited:
NOOOOOO NOOOO NOOOOOOO

MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED

No, it's not. It's just not all of the puzzle. But for the vast, vast majority, basic calories in vs. calories burned is absolutely correct.

And I don't get your wildlife analogy. You don't think cheetahs or hyenas burn their calories off? Did you ever take physics?

NOOOOOO NOOOO NOOOOOOO

MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED

Think about wild animals--Do you ever see fat cheetahs or fat hyenas on the Discovery Channel? No? Think about why that is. (Hint: It's not because they're counting their calories).

So many facepalms

Actually, you're wrong. There is a plethora of evidence that those who are fit but fat have much lower cardiovascular (and overall) mortality than those who are not fit and skinny. So just because someone is fat doesn't mean they are unhealthy... they do however often go together- just don't jump to conclusions.

Doctors as a whole tend to be much fitter looking than the average population. That said, it is easy to realize why some doctors aren't fit. The hours worked aren't exactly your typical 9-5, especially in residency (where they are more like 9am to 5pm the next day.

No, it's not. It's just not all of the puzzle. But for the vast, vast majority, basic calories in vs. calories burned is absolutely correct.

And I don't get your wildlife analogy. You don't think cheetahs or hyenas burn their calories off? Did you ever take physics?

I think the analogy is getting at 2 points: the fat ones don't make it and there isn't a plethora of food in the wild. It's not like the cheetah can just go to the Safeway in the next savanah and pick up some antelope and cheetos.

The calories in calories out idea doesn't take into account how different foods affect satiety and fat deposition.

Didn't we already have this conversation once before? It appears you have gone back to your erroneous thoughts.

I totally don't have time to get into this right now, but I'll just leave it at this: Read Good Calories, Bad Calories.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the analogy is getting at 2 points: the fat ones don't make it and there isn't a plethora of food in the wild. It's not like the cheetah can just go to the Safeway in the next savanah and pick up some antelope and cheetos.

The calories in calories out idea doesn't take into account how different foods affect satiety and fat deposition.

Neither of those points do anything to help support his initial idea in that post.

And no, it doesn't take into account nutrient partitioning and all that jazz, but it's a good benchmark overall. Kind of like how BMI doesn't take into account body composition, but for the average joe it's a good tool.

Neither of those points do anything to help support his initial idea in that post.

And no, it doesn't take into account nutrient partitioning and all that jazz, but it's a good benchmark overall. Kind of like how BMI doesn't take into account body composition, but for the average joe it's a good tool.
It's the food they're eating. They don't eat refined carbohydrates. Neither does any other wild animal.

Explain these ostensible paradoxes: Eskimos. Massai. Pacific Islanders who eat insane quantities of coconuts. These people all eat large quantities of saturated fat, which is calorically dense (9 kcal/g) and they should theoretically be fat according to your Calories In/Calories Out. They're not fat. Why?

But don't take it from me, read the book.

Edit: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/health/08fat.html?pagewanted=all
I literally just now googled this, and only had time to skim it. This article alone should let you know there's something not right with the idea of calories in/calories out.

Last edited:
I'll just chime in here and say the following:

1. Calories in/calories out will by and large dominate body fat in humans. Eat 1000 calories per day and you will lose a substantial amount of weight. Eat 4000 calories a day and you will gain a substantial amount.

2. Clearly the types of foods play a role with satiety, fullness, and etc., but eating a 200 calories worth of carrots vs. 200 calories worth of pizza is the same thing calorie-wise. In the case of the carrots, you may feel more more full whereas you may want to keep eating more pizza. 100 calories of apple juice will leave you less full than 100 calories of an apple. These influences, however, pale in comparison to the effect of total calories.

3. Genetics/disease also play role. Diabetes or metabolic syndrome will make you fat, but the purpose of this thread was moreso targeted to doctors who over-eat and under-exercise.

To sum up my presentation, the major dominating factor in weight gain, assuming an un-diseased individual with "normal" genes, is the total caloric consumption. Type of food also has an effect, though not as large.

Thank you for listening. I will be putting this on my resume as a poster presentation.

I can related to gaining weight.... as an undergraduate I got very stress out in the first two years and all I did was eat.... I use to eat M and M while studying..... gained 50 pounds...
Now I realize to eat balance and work out.... I lost weight but not enough still working on it.

Pacific Islanders who eat insane quantities of coconuts. These people all eat large quantities of saturated fat, which is calorically dense (9 kcal/g) and they should theoretically be fat according to your Calories In/Calories Out. They're not fat. Why?
You're participating in a logical fallacy here. How do you know that the Pacific Islanders aren't eating just enough calories to survive? The effect of coconuts has more to do with satiety than overeating. Coconuts are high in fat and fiber. If you've ever had a couple hundred calories of coconut milk, you'll understand what I mean. That stuff will make you feel full for hours. It is an amazing additive to protein drinks, especially pre/post workout. Plus it is full of MCTs.

Well I suppose we shouldn't listen to our surgeon general then LOL.

Regina-Benjamin.jpg

Type of food also has an effect, though not as large.

This is exactly backwards--type of food has the greatest effect. Look, you're ignoring the most important factor here--insulin. Insulin, insulin, insulin. To boil it down to its very simplest, carbohydrates increase insulin secretion, which in turn increases fat storage. Seriously, read Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes.

You're participating in a logical fallacy here. How do you know that the Pacific Islanders aren't eating just enough calories to survive?
I'm oversimplifying this cause I don't have time but there was a big study done in New Zealand wherein a large segment of the population of one of these islands was moved to New Zealand, and their weights+ health problems skyrocketed.

In short, read Good Calories, Bad Calories.

To everyone touting the Calories In/Calories Out idea:

Read Good Calories, Bad Calories!

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Challenging-Conventional/dp/1400040787

but eating a 200 calories worth of carrots vs. 200 calories worth of pizza is the same thing calorie-wise
Calories-wise? Yes. Weight gain-wise? Absolutely not. Why? Pizza is made with flour, carrots are not (I'm assuming carrots are mostly starch).

I eat a low carb diet (well, most of the time--stress led me to eating a hamburger tonight). I'm literally staking my life on the "refined carbohydrate hypothesis." If Gary Taubes is wrong, he's going to kill me. So that tells you what I think about the book.

Last edited:

You mean some people aren't fat because they have an illness that prevents them from being, well, not fat?

I worked with a vascular surgeon who was obese, and a patient called him out on it. Interestingly, this surgeon would tell people to quit smoking and take their diabetes/cholesterol medicine. Never talked to them about eating better or exercising.

I'll just chime in here and say the following:

1. Calories in/calories out will by and large dominate body fat in humans. Eat 1000 calories per day and you will lose a substantial amount of weight. Eat 4000 calories a day and you will gain a substantial amount.

2. Clearly the types of foods play a role with satiety, fullness, and etc., but eating a 200 calories worth of carrots vs. 200 calories worth of pizza is the same thing calorie-wise. In the case of the carrots, you may feel more more full whereas you may want to keep eating more pizza. 100 calories of apple juice will leave you less full than 100 calories of an apple. These influences, however, pale in comparison to the effect of total calories.

3. Genetics/disease also play role. Diabetes or metabolic syndrome will make you fat, but the purpose of this thread was moreso targeted to doctors who over-eat and under-exercise.

To sum up my presentation, the major dominating factor in weight gain, assuming an un-diseased individual with "normal" genes, is the total caloric consumption. Type of food also has an effect, though not as large.

Thank you for listening. I will be putting this on my resume as a poster presentation.

While these conditions might slow down your metabolism (or more accurately shift the balance towards anabolism), #1 above still holds true. Eat less, and you won't be fat. Easier said then done, but still not a valid excuse.

While these conditions might slow down your metabolism (or more accurately shift the balance towards anabolism), #1 above still holds true. Eat less, and you won't be fat. Easier said then done, but still not a valid excuse.
So THAT's the problem with obesity in America. All the millions of people who are fat are just too stupid to figure out they need to eat less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGV9VOOtew&feature=related

Watch this video. That is all.

Want to know something cool? I have a 6 pack now, something I've never had in my life. And I definitely didn't get it by eating less, and I don't run 4 hours a day either. The secret? I cut out refined carbohydrates. BAM. That's it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Banting

This guy was born in the 18th century, and even he figured this out. Sadly, in the 21st century, we can't seem to figure out the same thing.

Last edited:
So THAT's the problem with obesity in America. All the millions of people who are fat are just too stupid to figure out they need to eat less.

Want to know something cool? I have a 6 pack now, something I've never had in my life. And I definitely didn't get it by eating less, and I don't run 4 hours a day either. The secret? I cut out refined carbohydrates. BAM. That's it.

This guy was born in the 18th century, and even he figured this out. Sadly, in the 21st century, we can't seem to figure out the same thing.

They're not too stupid to figure out they need to eat less (they already know this). They are too stupid to fight their desires and actually do it.

You mean some people aren't fat because they have an illness that prevents them from being, well, not fat?

I worked with a vascular surgeon who was obese, and a patient called him out on it. Interestingly, this surgeon would tell people to quit smoking and take their diabetes/cholesterol medicine. Never talked to them about eating better or exercising.
That's because smoking and diabetes are bigger issues than just obesity, at least for a vascular patient. Our average general surgery patient probably weighs more than our average vascular patient.

No, they lack the willpower to change themselves or the society that favors cars, sedentary jobs, soda, beer, and pizza.

Why are the people in China thinner than the people in the US, on average?

Must be a massive epidemic of metabolic syndromes.

I don't usually listen to a doctor who is massively obese, but as a medical student who has PCOS and hypothyroidism I can relate to my patients who have trouble loosing weight despite proper diet/exercise- I don't have to shop in plus size stores or anything but I will never be at my "ideal body weight/BMI" either.

They're not too stupid to figure out they need to eat less (they already know this). They are too stupid to fight their desires and actually do it.

I stuff my face every time I eat now. I eat until I'm full (often until I'm beyond full) and I eat whenever I'm hungry. I've never had less body fat in my life. Have you ever tried to not eat, to eat less than you want? It's ridiculously hard. And people don't have to torture themselves like that. Because we're supposed to eat when we're hungry.

No, they lack the willpower to change themselves or the society that favors cars, sedentary jobs, soda, beer, and pizza.
Some of them lack willpower/don't care, for sure. But I see plenty of overweight people who workout religiously.

^ I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you're eating a ****ton of lettuce and bananas.

^ I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you're eating a ****ton of lettuce and bananas.

No, I'm not eating refined carbohydrates. That means flour, sugar, rice, bread, etc. I eat a ****ton of protein and fat. I also eat a lot of vegetables, and only small amounts of fruit.

Get cuttin so the nurses be mirin and the PAs be jelly

Male PA's are typically better-looking. Not sure about the female PA's, don't see many of those except middle-aged 40 year old ones.

I stuff my face every time I eat now. I eat until I'm full (often until I'm beyond full) and I eat whenever I'm hungry.

Look, I'm no physiology expert, but it might be that protein/fat gets metabolized faster (as in used, not stored) than carbs. So you might get away with eating more calories, because your body can burn them. Then point remains, if you eat the number of calories your body is burning, you won't get weight. If you eat less, you'll lose weight. Everybody has a different basal metabolic rate, so every individual should eat the # of calories that they can burn. If eating a different type of food allows you to eat more calories, then that's fine, just stay within your calorie limit.

Have you ever tried to not eat, to eat less than you want? It's ridiculously hard. And people don't have to torture themselves like that.

Yes. It's called will power. I'm not suggesting people skip meals or eat 10% of what they're used to. If someone is overweight and currently not gaining, dropping their consumption to 80% of what they currently eat will lead to weight loss. Simple thermodynamics. I think it's ridiculous to go on any strict diet, but it's equally ridiculous to eat what you want, when you want, and without any quantity limits.

Because we're supposed to eat when we're hungry.

Not sure where you got that from. Evolutionarily, humans were given a redundant hunger and storage mechanism to make sure they never starved to death. That is because food was never readily accessible, and you were supposed to feel hungry whenever food was available. Today, with food ALWAYS available, this mechanism has led many people into obesity. I think our brains need to control how much we eat, not our primitive hunger mechanism.

Finally, if you truly are "stuffing your face" everytime you're hungry as "you're supposed to", I promise that this bad habit will catch up to you one day. Maybe when you're in your 50's or after a sports injury that significantly decreases your activity, but you'll find yourself not knowing how to regulate that amount of food you take in, and start to gain weight rapidly. Come back to these forums in a few decades and report back to us. Should be interesting.

That's because smoking and diabetes are bigger issues than just obesity, at least for a vascular patient. Our average general surgery patient probably weighs more than our average vascular patient.

Point well taken. A lot of DM is caused or worsened by obesity, and if a patient is obese, I think that should be part of the discussion. But I agree that smoking is a bigger issue.

edit: screw it. i don't want to dip my feet into the deep pool.

I stuff my face every time I eat now. I eat until I'm full (often until I'm beyond full) and I eat whenever I'm hungry. I've never had less body fat in my life. Have you ever tried to not eat, to eat less than you want? It's ridiculously hard. And people don't have to torture themselves like that. Because we're supposed to eat when we're hungry.

Some of them lack willpower/don't care, for sure. But I see plenty of overweight people who workout religiously.

Last edited:

Well this must be like the fastest ban ever.:laugh:

I think doctors should strive to be as healthy as possible just as they encourage their patients to live. However, I think that they deserve a break for being human. Some people may struggle with weight and may fluctuate between healthy weight and overweight. I don't think that disqualifies them from being a doctor. They can still be great doctors. I shadowed a family doctor who struggled with his weight, and when he spoke with people about weight he had empathy for how difficult it can be for someone who is obese to lose weight, and could encourage them because he had done it, and was doing it.

I think it's harsh to call 'hypocrite' unless the physician doesn't care about losing weight and doesn't plan on trying, but still tells patients how it is. Everybody is a little bit of a hypocrite about something. Self-improvement is how we become less hypocritical. There are a lot of things physicians tell patients that physicians themselves don't do. I wonder how many depressed physicians would seek help or take anti-depressants? It kind of seems like admitting weakness in medical culture.

Also, medical students are generally in their early twenties and many at that age can eat how they want with little consequence in weight gain. So judge all you want, but it gets harder to stay normal weight as you get older.

And the tone from many here that overweight and obese people are inferior in some way than normal weight people concerns me. It's not excusing their responsibility to be healthy by admitting that it is harder for some people to lose weight, even very hard working people. Not all fat people are lazy.

Why are the people in China thinner than the people in the US, on average?

Must be a massive epidemic of metabolic syndromes.
Im chinese, I eat a lot and I dont gain weight. Except for this one time I stayed home 3 months like a coach potatoe, and my aunt kept feeding me even though Im full. I gained 20 pounds. I think people are getting fuller in China, but we are still a developing country, which means on average people dont get a lot of food... Im 128 pounds right now.... 5'7.5

I think doctors should strive to be as healthy as possible just as they encourage their patients to live. However, I think that they deserve a break for being human. Some people may struggle with weight and may fluctuate between healthy weight and overweight. I don't think that disqualifies them from being a doctor. They can still be great doctors. I shadowed a family doctor who struggled with his weight, and when he spoke with people about weight he had empathy for how difficult it can be for someone who is obese to lose weight, and could encourage them because he had done it, and was doing it.

I think it's harsh to call 'hypocrite' unless the physician doesn't care about losing weight and doesn't plan on trying, but still tells patients how it is. Everybody is a little bit of a hypocrite about something. Self-improvement is how we become less hypocritical. There are a lot of things physicians tell patients that physicians themselves don't do. I wonder how many depressed physicians would seek help or take anti-depressants? It kind of seems like admitting weakness in medical culture.

Also, medical students are generally in their early twenties and many at that age can eat how they want with little consequence in weight gain. So judge all you want, but it gets harder to stay normal weight as you get older.

And the tone from many here that overweight and obese people are inferior in some way than normal weight people concerns me. It's not excusing their responsibility to be healthy by admitting that it is harder for some people to lose weight, even very hard working people. Not all fat people are lazy.
:thumbup:

The problem here is CaptainSSO is trying to apply the concepts of a bodybuilding diet (which I've been following for the better part of a decade) to the general public. As I said, food selection certainly plays a role, and a huge role if you're trying to really change your body composition to the point of becoming extremely aesthetic. But for the vast majority of blobs out there, that's putting the cart before the horse.

CaptainSSO, realize that not everyone has the same goals, and that although plenty of people post on the bb.com forums, they still represent the vast, vast minority in this country.

Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to say! :thumbup::)

Because for nearly all of human history, we had to work pretty hard for our food. Now we don't. We have more food (in the US) than we know what to do with.

I don't.

:thumbup: This is 100% accurate, and he's providing you all with evidence (although coming off a little to cocky while doing it) and you are all batting it down.

Research shows if you compare a low carb vs low fat diet, you lose much more weight on the low-carb. The way we are being taught now is that weight loss is not JUST A DIET issue. It is a combination between exercising well, dieting properly while still getting all the necessary micronutrient throughout the day, and eating in proper intervals(this keeps the insulin down- opposing anabolic pathways such as glycogensis and lipogenesis).

Problem with dieting and exercise is they require changes in patients BEHAVIOR, and that why they don't stick- research hows most patients start to diet and exercise, and 1 year later they're back to doing what they are doing.

But hey why listen to us- you're all doctors or going to be doctors, do the research.

Status
Not open for further replies.