chiddler

5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
What role does stomach have, if any, in fat digestion? Lipase is secreted by the pancreas, right? So I think not much action happens in the stomach and most in intestines.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
What role does stomach have, if any, in fat digestion? Lipase is secreted by the pancreas, right? So I think not much action happens in the stomach and most in intestines.
Yup. Fat digestion begins primarily in the duodenum. I don't know about the stomach, but there is some fat digestion in the mouth (lingual lipase). Duodenum is the primary site for sure though.

SH3

Oct 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Status
Medical Student
Yup. Fat digestion begins primarily in the duodenum. I don't know about the stomach, but there is some fat digestion in the mouth (lingual lipase). Duodenum is the primary site for sure though.

:thumbup:

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Lingual Lipase remains active in the stomach (supposedly).

Lingual Amylase is the one that is inactivated by acidic pH.

I knew there was a reason I hated those two.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Lingual Lipase remains active in the stomach (supposedly).

Lingual Amylase is the one that is inactivated by acidic pH.

I knew there was a reason I hated those two.
Is Lingual Amylase different from Salivary/Alpha Amylase?

icewave667

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2012
Status
Medical Student
lingual lipase is in saliva but doesnt get activated until it's in a pH 4 environment so it's inactivated until it's in the stomach

pancreas secretes lipase. is found in small intestine doing its job

Aug 14, 2012
Status
The churning of the stomach breaks lipids into smaller droplets to increase the surface area for interaction with bile. You could get by fine without that though. There's a lot of "safety net" function throughout the body