Fats in stomach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What role does stomach have, if any, in fat digestion? Lipase is secreted by the pancreas, right? So I think not much action happens in the stomach and most in intestines.

Members don't see this ad.

What role does stomach have, if any, in fat digestion? Lipase is secreted by the pancreas, right? So I think not much action happens in the stomach and most in intestines.

Yup. Fat digestion begins primarily in the duodenum. I don't know about the stomach, but there is some fat digestion in the mouth (lingual lipase). Duodenum is the primary site for sure though.

Yup. Fat digestion begins primarily in the duodenum. I don't know about the stomach, but there is some fat digestion in the mouth (lingual lipase). Duodenum is the primary site for sure though.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lingual Lipase remains active in the stomach (supposedly).

Lingual Amylase is the one that is inactivated by acidic pH.

I knew there was a reason I hated those two.

Lingual Lipase remains active in the stomach (supposedly).

Lingual Amylase is the one that is inactivated by acidic pH.

I knew there was a reason I hated those two.

Is Lingual Amylase different from Salivary/Alpha Amylase?

lingual lipase is in saliva but doesnt get activated until it's in a pH 4 environment so it's inactivated until it's in the stomach

pancreas secretes lipase. is found in small intestine doing its job

The churning of the stomach breaks lipids into smaller droplets to increase the surface area for interaction with bile. You could get by fine without that though. There's a lot of "safety net" function throughout the body