Question on enzymes involved in cellular respiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

treeclimbingmonkey

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To what extent should we memorize all the enzymes involved in the Krebs, glycolysis, glucogenesis, pyruvate decarboxylation, pentose phosphate pathway, and electron transport chain? It is just a lot of enzyme names that I have to memorize and am not sure if I should invest time in memorizing them if it is not required.
 
I would definitely know them. Theres a lot of discrete on them. Also know which enzymes connect the cycles. Pyruvate dehydrogenase takes pyruvate from glycolysis and makes acetyl-CoA for citric. Also which enzymes do substrate level phosphorylation. Those important enzymes i would memorize at the bare minimum
 
So what I did was draw glycolysis from glucose to pyruvate with enzymes, arrows indicating if the rxn is reversible or not, and what goes in and out (ex atp, nadh) then i drew glyconeogenesis next to it. That helped because theyre the same with a few exceptions. Cac is easier because most if the enzymes are named by their reactant. Etc isnt to bad only 4 complexes. Know nadh ->comp1->3->4 fadh2 comp2->3->4
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we need to known the complex number or like the names NADH reductase, ubiquinone, succinate dehydrogenase, cytochrome C, cytochrome oxidase/reductase. I know for sure we need to ATP synthase just not sure about the other few.
 
It wouldn't hurt. I personally memorized them because I didn't study for my mcat last year and obviously did bad so I memorized all minute details this time so I can get high/low yield questions.