Favian: Fresh Start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello i am a 26yo male from miami fl. i just recently sold my business in order to persue something i feel is much more worthy to me and something i have had a passion for, for quite some time. at present i managed to take a low paying job in surgery as a sacrifice to persue my goal. i did not do to well in highschool in fact i did not graduate until recently this august my gpa will be a low 'C' and i am concerned that it may hinder my chances to enter a good college. could you please give me some suggestions or guidence as to what actions i should take to begin pre-med and how do i begin to take the appropriate steps to financialy keep myself a float. your time and advice would be greatly appreciated...
SINCERELY
FAVIAN

[This message has been edited by medicalstudent.net (edited August 23, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Good to hear from you and thanks for your message.
You do have one of the more unique situations I've encountered. I think it may be wise and perhaps necessary for you to begin in a community college and transfer to a 4 year university your junior year. This would definitely be financially easier on you and
sounds like it'd be a good transition. You sound like you'll be eligable for a ton of loans so if you enroll full time you should
keep afloat financially.
Another option is to go straight into 4 year college, but keep in mind it is more costly. Moreover, the transition for you may be
rougher.

I think that if you endure, and excel in college, and rock the MCAT, you can use your experience to your advantage. Paint it as
a mountain you climbed, and let it be an example of your character and dedication.

It's going to be a long and tough road. Good luck on the journey and let medicalstudent.net know if we can help you in any way.

Best,

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

hello Dr henderson.
first and foremost i am gratefull that you found and took the the time out neccessary to respond to what i consider is a critical moment for ne..i think that its admirable that someone of your caliber can help and guide those in need....
Dr henderson i would like to ask one more question if i may in reference to my working...do you feel it would be more to my
advantage that i go to school full time and not work..As you said this is all new territory to me and i would like to do whats best at any expence..

by the way a quote for those reading.

SUCCESS IS NOT DOING EXTRAORDINARY THINGS SUCCESS IS SIMPLY DOING ORDINARY THINGS EXTRAORDINARLY WELL.

Going to school full time is always the best option, if possible. This keeps your grades up and that is more important than getting $1000 more in student loans if it means getting into medical school or not.
Sincerely,

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net