Favorite apps to recommend to patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HockeyPsyGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any mobile apps you tend to refer to patients for xyz* that you think stand out or see patients respond well with? How about for inpatients getting discharged?

*(Meditation, yoga, stress management, journaling, something strongly evidence based, other xyz's)

Members don't see this ad.

I first read this thread as, "Favorite apps to apprehend patients." Haha, which could go one of two ways depending on which definition of the word apprehend you go with.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I first read this thread as, "Favorite apps to apprehend patients." Haha, which could go one of two ways depending on which definition of the word apprehend you go with.
Lol. The mind sees what it wants to see...

Reactions: 1 user
I use Headspace. Should use it more often-- helps me cut down on that excessive and often useless mind chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My talking tom can be nice for little kids who are shy or have selective mutism. Very interested to hear if anyone has any other hidden gems.

I use Headspace. Should use it more often-- helps me cut down on that excessive and often useless mind chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I like headspace too. But you need to pay after a 30-day trial. I paid for it since I really like it. Not sure if patients are willing to

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's other free meditation apps similar to headspace. I liked it for that little 10min meditation course for a week or whatever. It was good for a beginner then you can probably switch to another app that is free.

The American Psychaitric Association put out some interesting thoughts on apps and a nice framework to approach picking:
https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/practice/mental-health-apps

Before recommending any, may be worth checking to see where your patients' data is going and make sure they are aware. Sometimes the price of a free mental health app is your mental health data?

All that said, the VA has a nice suite of free apps that won't steal your data or make false claims: https://mobile.va.gov/appstore

Reactions: 2 users