Favorite EM Mnemonic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another "f" for stones: fasting (as in quick weight loss)

My stupid carpal bones one (helps me remember the names of the bones):
"Scabby Lunatics Try Pissing To Trap Captain Hamburger"

One I like from SVMMC for RSI; "PLANES"
Pre-Ox
Lido
Atropine
Non-depol paralytic
Etom
Sux

substitute as needed, but covers the classes and most of the side effects (which I always forget!)

And one more silly one for CAD risks pronounced as "shafted"
Smoking
HTN
Hypercholesterolemia
DM

Members don't see this ad.

Another one for the carpal bones:

Stop Letting Those People Touch The Cadavers' Hands

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to be the grammar police and note that half the stuff in this thread is not technically a mnemonic.

Mnemonics are memory devices. Most of what you are listing are just plain old acronyms.

That being said, all the really funny stuff is the acronyms, so keep it up. :)

But I also have to applaud anyone who comes up with a mnemonic that actually makes reference to the concept at hand. Because I am terrible with just ending up having the mnemonic in my head and not remembering at all what it related to unless it is clever like that.

Slightly different order, but: "Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle"

Pretty funny when the 4th year anatomy elective students were helping us out in lab and none of them could remember the bones themselves, but all knew the mnemonic.

different order too; Say Loudly To Pam Time To Come Home

one we all use all the time = FOOSH

"this old lady foosh'ed on the ice and i'm suspicious of a scaphoid or distal radius fracture"

Fell On OutStretched Hand

one we all use all the time = FOOSH

"this old lady foosh'ed on the ice and i'm suspicious of a scaphoid or distal radius fracture"

Fell On OutStretched Hand

Don't forget about the surgical neck of the humerus when old ladies FOOSH. Also, r/o hypoglycemia, TIA, elder abuse, etc. as etiology of FOOSH.

Another airway menomic:
Ron Walls uses the LEMON law - Look externally, Evaluate the 3-3-2 rule, Mallampati, Obstruction, Neck mobility - in his National Emergency Airway Management Course.

LEMON also has to do with the blue cell cancers.

As for the bones in the hand...don't know if it's been mentioned yet..

some lovers try positions that they can't handle

DFOIC- major subtype of DFO

Done fell out in church.

Ex: 83yo LOL DFOIC.

Time for another SDN Case Conference. Had this one last month.

65yo F who DFOIC. Arrives via EMS with a HR = 34, BP = 80's/40's.

Go.

(P.S.: Necrobump;))

Done fell out in church.

You obviously work in the sugarbetes/don't take mama off life support (Obama death panels!) belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
The whole "aye aye aye", "status hispanicus", "total body dolor" thing seems like something the most unelectable parts of Trump would write. Just sayin'. I'm not a hyper-PC kinda guy, but I feel like it has the potential to lead to trainees or even experienced practitioners writing off whole populations presenting with symptoms that could represent badness that they're at statistically higher risk of. Also, not really mnemonics.

I like THE MISFITS in pediatrics for some of the causes of the undifferentiated sick/shocky kid:

T: Trauma, tumor, thermal
H: Heart disease, hypovolemia, hypoxia
E: Endocrine (CAH, DM, thyroid)
M: Metabolic disturbances (electrolyte imbalance)
I: Inborn errors of metabolism
S: Seizures or other CNS stuff
F: Formula dilution or over-concentration leading to hypo/hypernatremia
I: Intestinal catastrophe (intussusception, volvulus, NEC)
T: Tox
S: Sepsis

The whole "aye aye aye", "status hispanicus", "total body dolor" thing seems like something the most unelectable parts of Trump would write. Just sayin'. I'm not a hyper-PC kinda guy, but I feel like it has the potential to lead to trainees or even experienced practitioners writing off whole populations presenting with symptoms that could represent badness that they're at statistically higher risk of. Also, not really mnemonics.

I'm not sure you know what "unelectable" means.

Reactions: 1 users
I asked for mnemotics on sedation a while back and got some of my personal favorites:

Obvious: B-52 or 5 and 2 = 5mg of haldol and 2mg of ativan

Not so obvious: HAM sandwich = haldol, ativan and morphine
don't forget the benadryl in B-52

Hyperkalemia treatment:

BALD D*CK.

Bicarb, albuterol, lasix, diuresis, d50, insulin, calcium, kayexalate.

Dude. Its tru.

I like THE MISFITS in pediatrics for some of the causes of the undifferentiated sick/shocky kid:

T: Trauma, tumor, thermal
H: Heart disease, hypovolemia, hypoxia
E: Endocrine (CAH, DM, thyroid)
M: Metabolic disturbances (electrolyte imbalance)
I: Inborn errors of metabolism
S: Seizures or other CNS stuff
F: Formula dilution or over-concentration leading to hypo/hypernatremia
I: Intestinal catastrophe (intussusception, volvulus, NEC)
T: Tox
S: Sepsis

Hasn't steered me wrong yet

I'm surprised this version of the carpal bone mnemonic hasn't been posted, given that you literally can't mess up the directional order of the bones with the finger names being incorporated:

"So Long To Pinky, Here Comes The Thumb"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user