favorite handbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snuffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a handbook to carry in my pocket during my upcoming third year rotation & next year's electives. Any favorites? I've seen a few references to Gordon's Obstetrics, Gynecology & Infertility (5th 2001) on SDN, but not by anyone specifically interested in OB/GYN. I wonder if some of the therapeutic options will be outdated in an edition that's almost 4 years old? I've also looked at the Washington OB/GYN Survival Guide and the british Oxford Handbook of OB/GYN (2004). There is also the Current Clinical Strategies book (2004). I have a PDA, but find it faster on the wards to just use a book. Any experience with any of these? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd highly recommend the "red" book (Gordon) for your OB/Gyn rotation. It has the most information you would need on the wards as a 3rd (or 4th yr) student, in the most portable form.

I still carry mine around with me! :) (and I'm a PGY-2)

Best of luck with your rotations!

Thanks, Trillgirl. That's what I wanted to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
The "Red Book" is a fabtastic resource, as is "PEARLS for OB GYN," but if you are into palm resources then look at "Pocket OB-GYN" by Skyscape as it is a valuable resource for your rotation as well.

Good lucks

Definitely the Red Book!! I'm a PGY-2 OB/Gyn and mine is always in my coat pocket, plus I write pearls from morning report in the blank notes pages. I'd be dead if I ever lost it! BTW, you can usually get them free from drug reps, so be on the lookout...

Stef
AMC PGY-2

Agree redbook is good
also go to
www.skyscape.com
for OB/GYN palm programs they have Washington manual also try to find OB pearls and Gyn pearls these are a must to know. Skyscape also has PDA version of OB/GYN Recall a great addition
Diane