Favorite Hobbies You May Have to Give Up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not going to lie, this is probably the strangest hobby I've ever heard, but you must have some crazy comfy sweaters!

Anyway, a few more words of encouragement:

I've played sports my whole life, mostly high-level soccer (semi-pro at the highest) and was pretty much prepared to give up playing for med school. I don't play at that level anymore, but I still play in 2 pretty competitive indoor leagues in med school, play intramural sports (kickball tournament this weekend!), and still find time to watch 1 or 2 shows here and there (right now it's AHS and Inkmaster). I find time to have dinner with my fiancee most nights of the week and have a very energetic dog that I take care of. I also go to pretty much every lecture and am at average and quickly improving. I did give up some things, like video games and most television because it was just too time consuming and I don't really get much out of them. People will probably have to either give some stuff up or cut back, but it is absolutely not necessary to give up the things that you really 99% of the time. Like someone said before, once you learn what works for you and how to manage your time you really can have a life outside of med school. Residency on the other hand, is a different story...

I also took 3 years off. It's a little tough getting back into the swing of things, but it was tough for everyone whether they took time off or not. Honestly the only thing that still bothers me/I'm not accustomed to is not having an income. It's weird going from a steady income and not having to worry much about money to living on a budget.

I think I remember you saying you'll be coming to KC in the fall. If so, we have a Tae Kwan Do club and several professors are blackbelts. Not the same as Aikido, but might work. Google also says there's a dojo about 10 minutes from campus, so hopefully that helps!
not this year lol. Hopefully to some school starting in 2017 after my gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to continue roller skating, and my plan was to pick up roller derby again. I refuse to give up cooking since I prefer real food. I am learning how to prepare lots of meals ahead of time to cook them more efficiently. I will probably not have much time for reading novels, so I am binge reading whatever I can now.

Powerlifting meets maybe
this
I'd imagine it wont be hard to maintain strength but actually peaking hard for a meet... may be challenging.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to lie, this is probably the strangest hobby I've ever heard, but you must have some crazy comfy sweaters!

Lol, it's not that strange! Most people who knit or crochet or spin know that french angora is a luxury yarn! Most of the angora in the US comes from China too where they abuse and torture the animals, so it's unusable in my book. I just ordered some from France actually, and it was 40$ per ball of yarn! While I may have three rabbits, they don't always produce wool fast enough and you can't pluck it before it's been released from the follicle.

I do have some pretty comfy cowls, and I'm saving all my yarn to make a blanket now...THAT will be really comfy

Lol, it's not that strange! Most people who knit or crochet or spin know that french angora is a luxury yarn! Most of the angora in the US comes from China too where they abuse and torture the animals, so it's unusable in my book. I just ordered some from France actually, and it was 40$ per ball of yarn! While I may have three rabbits, they don't always produce wool fast enough and you can't pluck it before it's been released from the follicle.

I do have some pretty comfy cowls, and I'm saving all my yarn to make a blanket now...THAT will be really comfy

Angora coat ceremony instead of a white coat ceremony lol

Reactions: 3 users
Angora coat ceremony instead of a white coat ceremony lol
Haha, that would be rough in summer.

80502-angora-rabbit-meme-is-it-humid-sUMu.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
Here is a picture of one of my rabbits and the a picture of the yarn that I made from his wool :)

Unfortunately, he is brown, but I may have to get a white bunny so we can make that angora coat ceremony a reality

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1415590123.389500.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1415590157.055723.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Any chance you wanna sell some yarn...? Was gonna make a scarf/beanie set fr my SO for Christmas... he would love this stuff.

Any chance you wanna sell some yarn...? Was gonna make a scarf/beanie set fr my SO for Christmas... he would love this stuff.

Does he like REALLY furry accessories? Angora makes a huge halo, so it ends up being very fluffy and very furry...here is a picture of a cowl that I made using angora and royal alpaca so you can see how furry it really is:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1415591753.954411.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1415591799.108610.jpg

Also, I would love to sell some, but I am trying to save up enough for a throw blanket! I can suggest my other favorite angora yarn, which is a French Angora yarn from France. It's what my cowl above is made out of, and it come in 4 colors - all undyed and the highest quality. It's called Angora Absolu by Anny Blatt, and you can order it from their website. This is what it looks like:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1415592098.317297.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1415592162.189461.jpg

It can be purchased here, though the website is in french so I would use google chrome and have it translate it for you!

http://www.annyblatt.com/boutique/fils/144-angora-absolu/2025-angora-absolu-caviar/