Favorite program so far

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by phdderm, Dec 22, 2008.

1. phdderm

I thought it might be nice if we talk about the program we have liked the most so far after interviewing there. Sometimes programs are not as good or as bad as they look on paper. So far which program has impressed you the most and why?

2. opencomedo

opencomedo Blissfully Ignorant
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Or, if you don't want to name the program (for various reasons), what did you like about your favorite program.

3. Palintology

5+ Year Member

Somewhat surprisingly to me, the University of Iowa. I'd heard great things from residents who'd interviewed there in previous cycles, but I was just blown away by this program. They have new facilities with art everywhere (e.g. huge hand painted derm textbooks from the early 1900s), tons of space (they even have a really nice room just for rotating medical students), their program director was awesome (more engaging/pleasant than any I've encountered on the trail so far), their faculty in general seemed really cool and approachable, their residents were great, they make all sorts of research opportunities available (basic science and clinical) without forcing it down resident's throats, it's a fairly big program, they have 1-2 half days of non-structured academic time per week (e.g. to go read, catch up on paperwork, etc.), 2 months elective time, etc. I also appreciated the fact that that they gave a really thorough and honest appraisal of their program. I've left some interviews not feeling like I had a good enough sense for the program as a whole, but that wasn't the case at all at Iowa.

I guess the only negative would be the location, but Iowa City actually seemed pretty cool -- sort of like a more low key version of Ann Arbor. I'm only about half way done interviewing so I can't say that I'll rank this place number 1, but I'll definitely rank it very highly, which I wouldn't have said prior to attending the interview.

#3 Palintology, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  4. sensitive skin

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Palintology, I agree with everything you've said. Iowa is exceptional.

You did not mention how beautiful the patient rooms and surgical wing is. I have yet to run across a more physically appealing derm clinic. The beds are plush and comfortable, in a big room where the patient is obviously the center of attention. The hallways are expansive. The surgical wing is neat -- there is a pre-surgical waiting area so patients don't have to sit in the waiting room with an occluded, Emla'd face. Everything is sparkling and new.

The town is neat, if you enjoy college towns. Few chains, and many original cafes and shops. Lots of young people. New construction if you're looking for contemporary housing.

5. Palintology

5+ Year Member

I forgot to mention that Iowa has a sweet moonlighting + locum tenens system, also.

6. gobluemichigan

Go blue!

need I say more?