Favorite Showbiz Shrink

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMS@1987

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is your favorite shrink on TV or in a movie? Mines Dr. Molly Clock, the attending psychiatrist from Scrubs, I think she's hilarious. I also like Meryl Streep in Prime, that was like the one and only time I have ever seen the LCSW license in a movie.

Members don't see this ad.

The shrink from Private Practice because she reminds me of myself in a scary way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frasier.

People say I remind them of him (albeit much younger), I haven't yet decided if that's an insult or a compliment.

For entertainment purposes though, he's definitely my favorite.

JockNerd and I had our intro to clinical psych class a couple years ago with a dude who looks exactly like Frasier (or an evil Santa Claus)

JockNerd and I had our intro to clinical psych class a couple years ago with a dude who looks exactly like Frasier (or an evil Santa Claus)

*Exactly*

Hannibal Lecter.

The end and good day.

Come on now, you forgot Dr. Phil, LMAO. Although I must admit Hanibal Lecter is a great choice.

Dr. George Huang (played by B.D. Wong) in Law and Order: SVU.

What, no one here was inspired by Dr. Jason Seaver?

My parents always refer to my brother and I as Niles and Frasier, respectively, so I'll have to go with the good Dr. Crane.

Eeh... I'm not so sure you would want to be like Fraiser... He was also a homicidal manic (Sideshow Bob ;) ).

Members don't see this ad :)
Eeh... I'm not so sure you would want to be like Fraiser... He was also a homicidal manic (Sideshow Bob ;) ).

True, but he was also a starship captain! (Captain Morgan Bateson, Star Trek: TNG :D)

I like Monk's therapist...I forget his name. He's great a setting the boundaries!! :laugh:

Oh I've changed my mind. I'm gonna have to go with the shrink from Nip/Tuck (you know, Brooke Shields)

I'm going to have to go with Frasier. Hannibal Lecter is a close second, though.

I like Monk's therapist...I forget his name. He's great a setting the boundaries!! :laugh:

Dr. Charles Kroger! I enjoyed the episode where his son got stuck buried in a car with Monk. :smuggrin:

I agree with RayneeDeigh...definitely the shrink from Private Practice. It's good to see a portrayal of therapists as real people who are just as screwed up as everyone else...maybe more :D

Don't limit me Biogirl! Who are you to say what my goals are?

;)
Yes, but if you're going to emulate a homicidal manic, why pick one who's only achievement has been atttempted murder?;)
:laugh:

Not my favorite but the first one I remember seeing on TV was Bob Newhart

That shrink from "Tell Me You Love Me" is pretty good. You can tell that the writers of that show did their homework.

However...

The WORST shrinks were portrayed by Michael Douglas and Oliver Platt in "Don't Say A Word" back in 2001. It also starred Brittany Murphy as this faux-psychotic chick. In one scene Platt's character was presenting the case to Douglas's character as a consult/second opinion and he rattled off a ton of meds (a random coctail that shouldn't have been mixed) and mispronounced half of them. He pronounced 'droperidol' as "Drop-er-doll".

*chuckles.

Oh my god I love Tell Me You Love Me. She does that role so well you'd think she really was a shrink.

Plus, it's just a damn good show. I cry at least once an episode, haha.

I vote for the psychiatrist played by Barbara Streisand in the Prince of Tides -"Her fingers were like butter!" :laugh:

Or maybe the psychiatrist played by Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting. "It's not your fault" accompanied by the big hug! :laugh:

ahhhh! i forgot about Dr. Huang! damn you Thrak! lol:laugh: but I actually think I'm going to change mine. I think mine is Sister Peter Marie Reimundo, from the HBO show Oz, she was awesome. Dr. Clock is a close second though.

Anyone else hate the psychiatrist on SVU? I get irritated everytime I hear him speak.

I vote for the psychiatrist played by Barbara Streisand in the Prince of Tides -"Her fingers were like butter!" :laugh:

Or maybe the psychiatrist played by Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting. "It's not your fault" accompanied by the big hug! :laugh:

YES! Robin Williams was great even though he blurred boundaries, attacked his patient, self-disclosed about his dead farting wife....but this is one of my favorite movies!!! Thanks for bringing it up.

However, didn't Barbara Streisand bang her patient? I was told that was like, the number one 'no no' in the therapist/client relationship. (we mustn't do the sexy-time with the patients!) :laugh:

Anyone else hate the psychiatrist on SVU? I get irritated everytime I hear him speak.

HA! I dislike him in that, "so bad I find him hysterical" kind of way ... like the way he sort of squints every time he speaks, as if the answers to all the great psychological questions are on some distant cue card ...

Mine is Libby from Lost...although, I'm still not entirely sure whether she was a psychologist or if she made it up, and I guess I will never know because she died. She might have also been unethical, because she kind of treated and made out with Harley...hmm...but they were traumatized on a magical island so who knows...

HA! I dislike him in that, "so bad I find him hysterical" kind of way ... like the way he sort of squints every time he speaks, as if the answers to all the great psychological questions are on some distant cue card ...

Yeah. Less so his acting ( it isn't great, but it could be worse). Moreso the fact that he pretty much is the embodiment of all the pseudo-science crap that discredits the field.

Yeah. Less so his acting ( it isn't great, but it could be worse). Moreso the fact that he pretty much is the embodiment of all the pseudo-science crap that discredits the field.

Agreed. He sounds like the cover of Psychology Today. I'm surprised they didn't give him a beard to stroke, or at least glasses, so he could chew on the stems.

Dr. Charles Kroger! I enjoyed the episode where his son got stuck buried in a car with Monk. :smuggrin:

AH! Thanks paramour...it was bugging me that I didn't remember!

I loved that scene. I wonder how many psychologists have real, true breakthrough moments with their clients like that or whether it's mostly tiny baby steps. I would have to assume the latter. I guess I'll find out in a few years! :rolleyes:

How about Dr. Leo Marvin from 'What About Bob?'

How about Dr. Leo Marvin from 'What About Bob?'

Oh come on!!! I was reading through the whole thread, and was so happy that I would be the first to say Dr. Marvin.....then BAM, there it was! The very last post.

Anyway, I completely subscribe to both Baby Steps and Death Therapy....thanks Dr. Marvin!!!

Dr. Leo Marvin: Are you married?
Bob Wiley: I'm divorced.
Dr. Leo Marvin: Would you like to talk about that?
Bob Wiley: There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him.
Dr. Leo Marvin: So what you're saying is that even though you are an almost-paralyzed, multiphobic personality who is in a constant state of panic, your wife did not leave you, you left her because she loves Neil Diamond?

A little off course of this thread but I wanted to mention that HBO has a new show called "In Treatment" starting on the 28th. It goes every night and the psychologist meets with a different patient and you get to see his own therapy sessions as well.

Might be interesting.