Favorite Snacks while on call..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so what do ya like to munch on when you are on call?...

Members don't see this ad.

caffeine....any shape, size, or form :D

I'm thinking cookies, particularly the Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Chunk kind.

1. Anything free
2. Anything the change in my pocket can buy in the vending machine

Pudding and ginger ale from the "patient nourishment" fridge. :thumbup:

I like to keep a cold 6 pack of Natural Ice in the fridge.

one hospital I rotated at as a resident sold these amazing rice krispy bars with M&Ms in them....mmmm they tasted good at 3 am

i also liked hot tea (most hospitals are freezing), apples with peanut butter, and string cheese

The second half of the Subway or Quizno's footlong that's left over from the previous day.

Oh, that and med students. Mmmm...med students.

mmmmmmm diet mountain dew..........green caffeine goodness

Homemade trail mix: almonds, dried cherries, bittersweet chocolate chips

We like to do "ice cream rounds" at my hospital. The cafeteria has a nice sundae bar.

Anything pasta...yes, it's a "snack" when I am on call.
For serious, no time to chew moments, a twix bar or kitkat does wonders to my blood sugar

Hmm... depends on which hospital I'm at.

Either diet soda and some vending machine fare (usually M&Ms or pretzels) which depends on what they stocked it with (county hospital...never know what you're gonna get)

or
cookie/brownie and diet soda from the 24 hr "cafe" OR ice cream from the patient food stock at the academic center

Cheetos from the vending machine.

1) Coffee
2) Tea
3) Coffee
4) Sugar
5) Chocolate
6) More of any of the above prn

Cold leftover pasta? Pasta salad? Or microwaved hot pasta with sauce?

(Pasta is my favorite food! :thumbup: )

I can deal with the leftover pasta--sometimes I cook a batch and eat it for a week. Not a big fan of cold though...and no, not microwaved sauces. Nothing like the smell of tomatoes, olives, onions and garlic...And it really gets me through the day. I know in biochemistry, it's supposed to make you feel lethargic with all that carbs in, but--I don't know--a good pasta is a great pick-upper for me! Maybe that's because I'm a noncoffee person. Haha! When packing pasta, I learned the secret is to separatethe noodles from the sauce

pop tarts from the vending machine. 400 calories for only $1.25!

mmm...nice....i always wondered why hospitals are so cold :(

Free coffee is always good.

When I was on call as a resident, I frequently made a fresh pot of coffee in every nurses' station that I had to round on. Even if I didn't drink it, it scored points with the nurses...which often meant fewer pages later that night. ;)

Peanut%20Butter%20285.jpg

TypesBrands_NabGrahams.jpg

...on a rough night, generally my fingernails.

...on better nights, chocolate pudding or the graham crackers from the patient nourishment refrigerators.

...on best nights, when I had time, the cafeteria was open, so whatever I could find there, hopefully it was the mint chocolate chip Edy's ice cream on tap.:)

We like to do "ice cream rounds" at my hospital. The cafeteria has a nice sundae bar.

Two questions, Where are you? And, do they need surgery residents?

I have a serious question (well, kind of;)).

Quite a few people managed helping themselves from the patient nourishment fridges. It sounds like it is quite a common thing to do for a resident in the US. Aren't you subject to some sort of disciplinary action if you are caught doing it? how do the nurses react when they see you do it?

I help myself to patients' bread sometimes, but I never tried anything from the patients' fridge (trust me, there were times when the temptation was certainly there!). It is just even when I get a couple of digestives and a cup of coffee from the patients' trolley, some nurses look at you as if you were a baby killer or something. Of course, other nurses could even get a hot meal for you from the patients' trolley:). So, on the balance, I just try to avoid using anything intended for patients unless offered by nurses.

I have a serious question (well, kind of;)).

Quite a few people managed helping themselves from the patient nourishment fridges. It sounds like it is quite a common thing to do for a resident in the US. Aren't you subject to some sort of disciplinary action if you are caught doing it? how do the nurses react when they see you do it?

I help myself to patients' bread sometimes, but I never tried anything from the patients' fridge (trust me, there were times when the temptation was certainly there!). It is just even when I get a couple of digestives and a cup of coffee from the patients' trolley, some nurses look at you as if you were a baby killer or something. Of course, other nurses could even get a hot meal for you from the patients' trolley:). So, on the balance, I just try to avoid using anything intended for patients unless offered by nurses.

Depends on the nurse and you.

I've been told off before and ignored at other times.

Most of the times I try not to be obvious about it so its probably not noticed.

At my hospital we have an unlimited food allowance. I figure since the stuff in the nourishment rooms come from the same cafeteria where I am allowed to get as much stuff as I want, I can go ahead and grab what I need. It is their fault for not being open late enough, right? Actually, I don't typically eat on call between dinner and breakfast, but I do make sure to stock up on drinks. I only have to steal food from the floors if I miss dinner (they are serious about closing at 1830, come 1 second late and you are apt to find everything locked up). Most of the cafeteria staff is pretty nice to us and if they have anything not locked up they won't say anything if we take it (they figure we will either "pay" for it later by having them ring up extra stuff on our cards next time, or they just don't care).

When I do need a snack, I like the Kashi bars they have, or a bag of chips.

coffee. lots and lots of coffee