-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Favorite vet terms
Started by CoffeeQuestionMark
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Borborygmus ... and "cat burrito" (you know ... wrapping the cat in a towel).
We don't have cat burritos in human medicine even though it's a super-cute term!
*Purrito
A close cousin of clipnosis.
Ooh. That reminds me that I used to appreciate the word rhinorrhea as well.Last night I discovered "galactorrhea" (excessive or inappropriate milk production).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually, I think cat burritos are called straightjackets in human medicine...Borborygmus ... and "cat burrito" (you know ... wrapping the cat in a towel).
We don't have cat burritos in human medicine even though it's a super-cute term!
Fundamentally the same function
Hands down best muscleMy favorite muscle will always be the omotransversarius.
Bumping this because we learned about bougienage in medicine and it's my new favorite.
Learned a new one: splanchnopluere.
Also I’ve had Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious stuck in my head all day because my anatomy professor sang it with “celioacomesenteric ganglion and plexus” instead yesterday. I will never forget the structure!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Pfft. Margo plicatus is still the best. It's so latin-y.I used to like Margo plicatus until I found out that it’s where Gasterophilus like to hang out and I saw them in my cadaver in comparative anatomy...![]()
This is one of those times where I feel like I was probably taught what/where this is and should know it, but I have absolutely no recollection of it whatsoevercelioacomesenteric ganglion and plexus
I experience these times quite frequently
Parasite names are fun!
"Parelaphostrongylus" and "Cheyletiella" are some of my favorites to say.
"Ctenocephalides" I've heard at least three different ways. I say "TEN-o-sef-AL-ih-dees", but I've heard "TEEN-oh-sef-AL-ih-dees" and "TEN-oh-SEF-al-EYE-dees". I think my class decided any way is OK as long as you say it consistently in front of clients.
Finally, my path professor threatened the class with having to write out "Macracanthorhynchus hirudinaceus" 100 times if we exceeded the allotted space on essay questions.
"Parelaphostrongylus" and "Cheyletiella" are some of my favorites to say.
"Ctenocephalides" I've heard at least three different ways. I say "TEN-o-sef-AL-ih-dees", but I've heard "TEEN-oh-sef-AL-ih-dees" and "TEN-oh-SEF-al-EYE-dees". I think my class decided any way is OK as long as you say it consistently in front of clients.
Finally, my path professor threatened the class with having to write out "Macracanthorhynchus hirudinaceus" 100 times if we exceeded the allotted space on essay questions.
I think my class decided any way is OK as long as you say it consistently in front of clients.
You ain’t never say that in front of clients... you be like, “Your cat got the fleas, yo” and then they be like, “But he doesn’t go outside! I’ve never seen a single flea! You must have put that on him.”
Ctenocephalides... they’d look at you like you done grown an extra head, that’s what.
well duh, it’s because it’s from your clinic’s lobby, obviously.You ain’t never say that in front of clients... you be like, “Your cat got the fleas, yo” and then they be like, “But he doesn’t go outside! I’ve never seen a single flea! You must have put that on him.”
I once had a client with really bad flea allergy dermatitis, flea anemia, and Dipylidium caninum, and the owner was convinced we “transplanted her dog with fleas to sell more flea products.”
Whoops 🤣. And here is where it's obvious that I never intended to be a clinicianYou ain’t never say that in front of clients... you be like, “Your cat got the fleas, yo” and then they be like, “But he doesn’t go outside! I’ve never seen a single flea! You must have put that on him.”
Ctenocephalides... they’d look at you like you done grown an extra head, that’s what.
I'm still bitter over having to attempt to spell Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae on a bacT test last year. 🙄Finally, my path professor threatened the class with having to write out "Macracanthorhynchus hirudinaceus" 100 times if we exceeded the allotted space on essay questions.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the flip side, I do not like the word “lymphoid”...it’s like the medicine version of “moist” 
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Really?? I've never had that reaction to it before. Interesting.On the flip side, I do not like the word “lymphoid”...it’s like the medicine version of “moist”![]()
Caseous would be more alikened to that for me.On the flip side, I do not like the word “lymphoid”...it’s like the medicine version of “moist”![]()
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Caseous lymphadenitis!Caseous would be more alikened to that for me.
Stranguria is one I just learned 😀
Discospondylitis is one of my favourites 🙂