Favourite song/type of music you listen too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
S.Asia is deeply rooted in music, so let's hear what you guys and gals are listening too or your type of music.

Bollywood:
I only bought the Taal, Dil Chahta Hai, and Lagaan cds. Mohabbatein was also good, as well as Fiza. I'm not a Bollywood type of person, so I don't know the latest tracks over there, but if anyone knows of any other tracks that are as good as the ones that I mentioned, please let me know.

Rap/HipHop:
Anything by Biggie/Tupac/Ice-Cube. Right now I'm totally into Jay-Z's Black Album (Track 10 - Public Service Announcement). 50 cent is ok (Candy Shop is not bad). But my anthem is, and forever will be, Dre's Still Dre. Can't forget about Snoop's Drop it like it's hot :cool: . Funny thing happened to me with Jay-Z's Dirt off your shoulder, some girl was giving me all smiles at the train station when I wen to pick up my mom. She couldn't have been smiling at me, but more like, a brown dude into Jay-Z :p .

Indian Classical:
Well, I am heavily into the instrumental side of Indian music. I love the sitar, santoor, surbahar, sarod, and sarangi. Ghazals are ok too (Bhimsen Joshi, Salamat Ali Khan, Nasar Hussain). Favourite artists are Ravi Shankar (Monterrey Pop Festival - Raga Sindhi Bhairavi), Ali Akbar Khan (Journey track on the same titled album), Imrat Khan (Surbahar in Raga Darbari, performed at the Royal Albert Hall), too many to list. I taught myself to play the sitar (after recieving 7.5 hours of instruction of Sa-Re-Ga), and play a lot of "freestyle" music (mostly in Raga Darbari or Yaman Kalyan). Anyone else play an instrument here? Most of the desi girls I know were forced to learn the harmonium. I don't know how, but I learned how to play the piano (one semester in high school), so I guess I could transfer the skills somehow...

Dance:
Sash - Equador, DJ Tiesto - Adagio for strings, Bennasi Bros, DJ D'Agostino

European Classical:
Dvorak's symphony "New World", Carl Orff's Carmina Burana

Desi fusion:
RDB (Aja Mahi is my fav) and Sukhshinder Shinda (Balle, Sohni Lagdi,, and another song with Cheshire Cat, forget the title at the moment).

Members don't see this ad.

Bollywood—hmm…I don’t know if these guys still have albums…but a couple years ago they were pretty big in India…so check out the ‘Bombay Vikings’. Movie songs…I still like Tum Bin, Pukar, and DTPH…. the one’s you listed are pretty good….movies nowadays don’t really have good songs… except one or two that are even worth listening to ….I need to get me some of the Desi Fusion stuff…except I don’t really know where to get them from….??

Classical Music—I have to say I never tried it…. It’s really great that you play the sitar…my mom used to in college, but she never did for us…its sealed in a big wooden box back in india… I wish I could learn how to play something..anything…but I don’t have the patience….

Right now I have an assortment of songs by--- Linkin Park, Trapt, Evanescence, Phantom Planet, Hoobastank, Green Day, U2, Switchfoot, Jimmy Eat World, Gavin de Graw, Nickelback, Richard Marx, Daniel Bedingfield, 3 Doors Down, Michelle Branch, No Doubt, Yellow Card and I’m going to go buy Ryan Cabrera’s album….And of course…the best “put you in the dancing mood” songs by the Black Eyed Peas…..!! I used to like Maroon 5 music…but now it’s getting old…..
Hmmm...do i prefer rock?.....YESS!!! I AbsoLUtely LLOve...IT!!
:) :) :) :) :)

^ you want some desi fusion stuff? I can hook you up with that, no problem. Most of the the time I just search through google for punjabi artists, and usually there are a bunch of people hosting mp3s. Try "cool goose music", that site has a bunch of people hosting songs, but you gotta know the artist or title of the track you are looking for. I'll try and find some links for you.

BTW, I love Linkin Park as well. How did you like the collaboration between them and Jay-Z? I thought it was well done.

As for rock, do you like "The Cranberries"? They are awesome, but unfortunately they don't make any more songs. I also like the "Tea Party", another great band, however lately, most of their songs aren't that great. I like Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" as well.

It's too bad your mom never played for you guys, you should ask her. But the one thing about Indian Classical music, you gotta be into it to actually appreciate it. I put the mizrab (the metal pick) on my friends' fingers, and they all screamed in pain lol...

For some reason, I can't stand Black Eyed Peas.. too commercial for me....

Members don't see this ad :)
i love trance - tiesto, van **** etc

Hindi music - saathiya, swades, veer-zeara, kyo ho gaya na

I m not into lots of muzic so i wont say much here!!!

parasiteatwork said:
I m not into lots of muzic so i wont say much here!!!
Come on, after downloading all those bollywood filims, and you don't have a favourite song? :D

Yeah!! I do have a few bollywood songs that I like but most of them r from old hindi movies n i m sure u have never heard of them....

^ What is it people say, "Oldies are goldies"?

I love all the songs from Pakeeza. And I know the words to Mere joota hai japanee ;)

sunny123 said:
^ What is it people say, "Oldies are goldies"?

I love all the songs from Pakeeza. And I know the words to Mere joota hai japanee ;)

oh pakeeza, I love those songs, I have kept them on my fav playlist and play them everyday, don't get tired of listening to them again and again
besides that I like some new bollywood songs like
taal, dil chahta hai, dhoom, murder( bheege hot tairre, kaho na kaho)
A.R Rahman is one of my fav music composers
i also like english pop music
in early 90s my fav were michael jackson and madonna but now I hate M.J after all what he did to his face and all his court cases
I like jennifer lopez, chritina aguilera, britney spears,enrique iglesias
eminem, destiny child,mariah carrey, nelly, alicia keys
bare nacked ladies,
among canadians , i like avril lavigne, brian adams, celine dione,Alanis Morissette

Thanx sunny123....i'll chk out the cool goose site....
yeah i've listened to the jay-z and LP collaboration.... i don't know.... i really love LP.... but rap/hip-hop is not among my fav.'s ...i occasionally like some hip-hop songs...but i guess i kinda find thier video's to have too much of unwarranted sex, and bling-bling.... otherwise i like eminem...i think his videos are hilarious...
I know what u mean by black eyed peas being too commercial....but so is everyone nowadays....oh and Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" :thumbup: ...and the cranberries...i like their lyrics... i wish the guys were cuter though....and yeah classical music is an acquired taste... it may be painful till u get to the appreciating phase... but its something you have which is diff. and unique...so :thumbup:

Hiphop videos are not art, it is plain crap. Nothing much to them at all. Hey, did you like Linkin Park's Numb video? I liked the whole comic book feel to it. I thought it was really good.

You like Limp Bizkit? I cna't wait for their new album to come out (especially since they got back their original bass player). :D

Has anyone heard "Kangana" by Dr.Zeus. It is fantastic.

I'm glad you agree that hip-hop videos are crap... coz there are people out there who will argue for their artistic significance... :rolleyes:

LP's numb was good....but isn't he like talking about suicide or something in it....i guess there can be diff. interpretations..... hmmm...the only song of limp bizkit i like is "behind blue eyes"...gosh! have u heard the original of this song ...i don't know some country singer sang it maybe...but when people say that Fred durst spoilt the song by singing it...i don't know what they are talking abt... the robotic--"L-I-M-P...SING IT"...--- in the song is wierd...but i like it nonetheless... :)

alright...anyone saw the movie SHABD?? I guess i shud take this to the movie thread....

Members don't see this ad :)
hopeful05 said:
I'm glad you agree that hip-hop videos are crap... coz there are people out there who will argue for their artistic significance... :rolleyes:

LP's numb was good....but isn't he like talking about suicide or something in it....i guess there can be diff. interpretations..... hmmm...the only song of limp bizkit i like is "behind blue eyes"...gosh! have u heard the original of this song ...i don't know some country singer sang it maybe...but when people say that Fred durst spoilt the song by singing it...i don't know what they are talking abt... the robotic--"L-I-M-P...SING IT"...--- in the song is wierd...but i like it nonetheless... :)

alright...anyone saw the movie SHABD?? I guess i shud take this to the movie thread....
Artistic significance?? People who say such things have no sense what so ever. Rap videos really degrade women, and apparently the majority of the hiphop female population of today have no problem with it. It's all about, where my baby's ddady? Gotta pay dem bills. Rollin on 20 inch rims. Poppin that krystal, in the hotel lobby, till 6 in da mornin. Anyways......

Limp's "behind blue eyes" isn't bad, and yeah, it was a remake from Pete Townshend. Hey, what about P.O.D's "Youth of a Nation"? I really liked that song. They also did a track for Matrix Reloaded, "Sleeping Awake" or something.. that was good too. For some reason, I haven't heard from them anymore.

shardul said:
Has anyone heard "Kangana" by Dr.Zeus. It is fantastic.
I downloaded it, and it's good stuff. 8)

Listen to Raghav's "Teri Baaton". Go to his site, http://www.raghav.com/main.php , and it'll start playing on his main page. He's a dude from Toronto (ye yeah!!), and has a decent voice.

sunny123 said:
Listen to Raghav's "Teri Baaton". Go to his site, http://www.raghav.com/main.php , and it'll start playing on his main page. He's a dude from Toronto (ye yeah!!), and has a decent voice.
I have a song like"chodd diya"..by raghav....its cool....
I like Dil se
"Hum hain is pal yahan"----Kisna
.....most of the punjabi songs by pakistani singers.....

Hey Guys...
Is there any site I can download the songs of "Bend it like Beckham" from?Thanks in advance.

meetlife said:
I am not able to open the link.... :confused:
really? Just left click on the link, don't right click and save as. Once you open the site, the song starts playing automatically in the background.

Or, just click here: www.raghav.com

sunny123 said:
really? Just left click on the link, don't right click and save as. Once you open the site, the song starts playing automatically in the background.

Or, just click here: www.raghav.com
Thanks....its great....

I like atlernative (whatever's on the radio basically)

I sometimes listen to classical instrumental music (both Indian and Western)

nothing but HOUSE/TRANCE & some Alternative Rock ....

booboo said:
i love trance - tiesto, van **** etc

Hindi music - saathiya, swades, veer-zeara, kyo ho gaya na
Hey- if you are a GUY- why do you give us illusions by putting Aish Darlin´s pic as your Avtaar?

^ Read the post DrGarfield, I said if you know the song titles. You do know a modie has a soundtrack right?? I thought you came from India? You don't know movies have songs in them??

PKP719 said:
nothing but HOUSE/TRANCE & some Alternative Rock ....
Tiesto's Adagio for Strings is slick!!

Oh my gosh, I have an obsession with Raghav. And Jay Sean. And Rishi Rich. They are so awesome. And Jay Sean is hott.
Anyway, I listen to anything- except country, heavy metal, and heavy rap. So I guess that's not "anything" is it? :D
When I'm driving though, I listen to 106.1 BLI.. it's a Long Island radio station (and yeah I'm from CT- go figure).. they have good stuff. I don't have a fav. band or anything... so yup...... :)

^ See, I never heard of this Raghav guy until one of my friends was saying how great he was. I went on to his website, and heard "Teri Baaton", and it was good. But I'm not a fan of all his english stuff. He's got a good voice for singing Hindi music (which would most likely be attributed to his Indian classical training back in India).

Saffron, what is his best song?

Well, when driving- Elvis is GREEEAAAAAAAAAAAt to give an ear to! Another one of my favourite is THE CORRS- the british siblings´band! they are honey!
The Carlos Santana is out o the world too!
Savage Garden
to the moon and back
wanna be popular
i want you
truely madly deeply
Aerosmith
pink
jamie´s got a gun
i dont wanna miss a thing
Eagles
Hotel California
R Kelly
I believe i can fly
Seal
kiss from a rose
George Michael
Careless whisper
Freedom

Make an album of these- and you can spend your life on it!!

DrGarfield said:
Bend it like Beckham is a Movie- not a song!
Yes,but movie has songs in it........ :confused:

I love "U sang to me byMarc Anthony
If Tomorrow never comes Ronan Keating
HAVE YOU EVER REALLY LOVED A WOMAN by Bryan Adams

meetlife said:
Yes,but movie has songs in it........ :confused:

ya- i messed up! okey!

meetlife said:
I love "U sang to me byMarc Anthony
If Tomorrow never comes Ronan Keating
HAVE YOU EVER REALLY LOVED A WOMAN by Bryan Adams

ya- those ones too!
and Because you loved me- by celine dione,
18 till i die- Br Adams

and one awkward one is Chumbawamba- i get knocked down- but i get up again!

OH! Another really "rad" singer is Mia. You'll find it as M.I.A. She's Sri Lankan, and was a war refugee. She's got some interesting songs.. they're like... eclectic. It's neat. I like "Sunshowers" by her.

"Can't stereotype my thing yo,
I salt and pepper my mango..." - M.I.A.

Go to THIS link to check it out. (Scroll to the bottom where you'll see two music videos by Mia. - Galang and Sunshowers). Check it out! :)

sunny123 said:
^ See, I never heard of this Raghav guy until one of my friends was saying how great he was. I went on to his website, and heard "Teri Baaton", and it was good. But I'm not a fan of all his english stuff. He's got a good voice for singing Hindi music (which would most likely be attributed to his Indian classical training back in India).

Personally, I really like "Let's work it out," "Angel Eyes (feat. Jucxey and Frankey Maxx) and "No I."
"Teri Baaton" was great, and he's got a good voice. I agree that he sings Hindi music really well. :)

... it's so weird being called "saffron"...... :laugh:

sunny123 said:

i like chod diya (sp?) and can't get enough. :D

DrGarfield said:
ya- those ones too!
and Because you loved me- by celine dione,
18 till i die- Br Adams

and one awkward one is Chumbawamba- i get knocked down- but i get up again!

That is a freaky song....
is funny...
the lyrics are interesting :rolleyes: ...what were they thinking...?
but its one of the songs that can really get caught in your head...

saffronrain said:
OH! Another really "rad" singer is Mia. You'll find it as M.I.A. She's Sri Lankan, and was a war refugee. She's got some interesting songs.. they're like... eclectic. It's neat. I like "Sunshowers" by her.

"Can't stereotype my thing yo,
I salt and pepper my mango..." - M.I.A.

Go to THIS link to check it out. (Scroll to the bottom where you'll see two music videos by Mia. - Galang and Sunshowers). Check it out! :)
Saffron (nice name btw :p ), when M.I.A's site is running up again, check it out, cause she has full length songs on it.

www.miauk.com

Also, thanks for Raghav titles Saffron and Arti, I'll check'em out :cool:

Yeah, I've been on that site actually, but thanks! :)
Yes, I love my name too. :D ;)

I salt and pepper my mango. <-- I LOVE THAT LINE. (just don't ask)

Has anyone heard Rock da party by Bombay Rockers and Woh bheegi bheegi raatein from movie Zeher.

Bulla ki jaana mein kaun is sufi song by Rabbi which is quite a sensation in India now a days. I would also reccomend "dont be shy" by trio of girls called Rouge.

shardul said:
Has anyone heard Rock da party by Bombay Rockers and Woh bheegi bheegi raatein from movie Zeher.

Bulla ki jaana mein kaun is sufi song by Rabbi which is quite a sensation in India now a days. I would also reccomend "dont be shy" by trio of girls called Rouge.

Ya- Bulla ki jaana main kaun is a good one- This is the Rabbi
20050117-0.gif

You know about it? The Junoon- the great Paki Rock band (who also sang Sayonee and others)
junoon_azadi.jpg
did sing the same song in a different music, and i like that one better.
The lyrics are by the Baba Bulle Shah
images%5Cbooks%5Cthumbs%5Cpo118.jpg
who used to be a medieviel times Fakeer. most probably of the times of Ameer Khusro!
110_Amir-Khusro-portrait.jpg

DrGarfield said:
Ya- Bulla ki jaana main kaun is a good one-
You know about it? The Junoon- the great Paki Rock band (who also sang Sayonee and others) did sing the same song in a different music, and i like that one better.

Really!!!!!!! I didn't know Junoon also shaked their vocal cords for that song. I have only heard Sayoneeby junoon. Oh man it rocks!!! I would really like to follow more of Junoon, I alway wanted to but somehow I didn't. I follow more of Strings . They perfomed at DY Patil Med. Coll. last year.

Do u also follow KK? I recently seen this movie called My Bother Nikhil there is one anthem by KK in it. Surely listenable. If someone had seen the movie I would like to know what they think about it.

you can listen to Bulleya by Junoon at this and try other songs too- I love that band!

Junoon songs

KK is so good at his vocals
kk_pal.gif

He sung the sad song from the movie Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam Tadap Tadap ke----so well!!
And his other ventures are pleasant enough too!

I don´t know about that movie though-may be it has released in last 2 months- while i am beating bushes of Germany!!

Strings is another good gift from Pakistan!!
up2_STRINGS2%5B1%5D.jpg

The lead singer is Faisal Kapadia- they have made some real good onew- like Dhaani
They also appeared in the Indian dubbed version of Spiderman 2 as a movie soundtrack- song Na Jaane Kyun- and it was a pleasant track. I don´t know weather they include that song in International Spiderman soundtrack

Thanx for the link Garfield. The movie I mentioned is just launched in India it will take some time before it go on showing in Germany if at all. But its good movie.
I am observing a trend in Indian cinema in which many medical topics are dealt in movies. Yo have got Munnabhai MBBS (life of medical students) then Black (deafness-mutism and alzheimers) phir milenge( AIDS) my brother nikhil ( homosexuality and AIDS). I also recently watched to Marathi movies called shwaas which dealt with cancers (retinoblastoma) and Devraai about schizophrenia. Am I imagining up this trend or it is just a normal level at which medical topics are handled in cinema.

I also remember seeing Anand, Khamoshi, Khamoshi - the musical (its a different movie directed by Sanjay leela bhansali), Ek doctor ki maut many years ago. besides these few movies i dont remember any other movie which dealt with medical topics.

any additions to this list folks???????????