FCVS and medical license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsdothis2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in the process of obtaining my medical license in a state that requires us to use FCVS. Any comments on how long it takes FCVS to process and verify all the documents? My school, residency program and I have all submitted the required documents weeks ago and am still waiting...worried that I won't have my license by the start of fellowship!

Members don't see this ad.

[rattle] [rattle] *tosses contents of Scottish highland horn (carved into a cup) onto dirt floor of a sod roofed wood beam, single room home*
The bones say... wait, this is strange... ahh... yes, the bones say all will be relieved once you are packed and traveling to your state of fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't get the reference above from Sushi...but using FCVS took me <30 business days once all documents were submitted to my state board, and this was peak COVID time last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll take as long as it takes, there is no predicting it. And its a mystery - like mystically reading the signs in bones.

FCVS state requirement like most government laws was well intended but a complete waste. Unless you are applying for licensure in 3 states or more at the same time, FCVS is the same amount of time suck as if the state just had you do the application from their old version. Oh, and don't be surprised if they still have supplemental component for your state in addition to FCVS - further defeating the merits of FCVS.

It took nearly 6 weeks for me one year ago

Once all the required documents were sent in, it took about 8 business days to get processed.

Took less than a month once all documents were in. Took almost 2 months for my med school to submit documents to FCVS.

This varies a lot by state boards though.