FCVS Profile, interruptions or extensions in your medical education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ekimalito

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m an IMG. I completed my training back in the Dominican Republic where there’s no undergraduate or premedical studies. You simply sign up for the 6 year long career of medicine. During your first 1.5 years you go through basic courses such as math, chemistry, biology, etc.. then eventually you get to start your “medical education” for the rest of the time (4.5 years). The initial portion of the career is described as “pre-medical courses” at my university.

Anyhow, long story short, during my second semester, while I was still in pre-medical studies, I got a green card, I left to the US with the idea of getting into med school here (how naive). Anyways, that didn’t roll, so I lost two years of my life doing odd jobs before I decided to get back to school. Went back to my country and completed my premedical and medical education without any further breaks.

Now there’s a question at the FCVS profile where they ask “did you have any interruption(s) or extension(s) in your medical education?”

I mean, I didn’t take any pauses during my medical school. However, im kinda haunted by the fact that I did take a pause during my premedical.. I don’t know what to do? I’m being asked a ton of extra info by the Texas Board for answering yes to that question. They want my school to issue a letter stating the nature of my leave.. they don’t even keep track of that stuff up there.. any insights or recs on this?

I called FCVS and explained and they said that technically they only care and would ask for verification to the medical school, not any undergraduate schools. However, there’s no such thing in the Dominican Republic as an undergrad school.

Anyhow, could I just choose no? I didn’t take breaks in my “medical education” per se. I just don’t wanna be caught in a technicality where they could imply I hid info, however, I don’t want the extra scrutiny, my school makes everything very difficult and this could translate into months of issues.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I’m an IMG. I completed my training back in the Dominican Republic where there’s no undergraduate or premedical studies. You simply sign up for the 6 year long career of medicine. During your first 1.5 years you go through basic courses such as math, chemistry, biology, etc.. then eventually you get to start your “medical education” for the rest of the time (4.5 years). The initial portion of the career is described as “pre-medical courses” at my university.

Anyhow, long story short, during my second semester, while I was still in pre-medical studies, I got a green card, I left to the US with the idea of getting into med school here (how naive). Anyways, that didn’t roll, so I lost two years of my life doing odd jobs before I decided to get back to school. Went back to my country and completed my premedical and medical education without any further breaks.

Now there’s a question at the FCVS profile where they ask “did you have any interruption(s) or extension(s) in your medical education?”

I mean, I didn’t take any pauses during my medical school. However, im kinda haunted by the fact that I did take a pause during my premedical.. I don’t know what to do? I’m being asked a ton of extra info by the Texas Board for answering yes to that question. They want my school to issue a letter stating the nature of my leave.. they don’t even keep track of that stuff up there.. any insights or recs on this?

I called FCVS and explained and they said that technically they only care and would ask for verification to the medical school, not any undergraduate schools. However, there’s no such thing in the Dominican Republic as an undergrad school.

Anyhow, could I just choose no? I didn’t take breaks in my “medical education” per se. I just don’t wanna be caught in a technicality where they could imply I hid info, however, I don’t want the extra scrutiny, my school makes everything very difficult and this could translate into months of issues.

Thanks

Well if you stopped your studies, did random stuff for 2 years, and then went back, i'm pretty sure most people would agree that's a "break." And trust me that you don't want to mess with the Tx Medical board - if there is one medical board not to screw with, Texas would be it.

So if I were you I would say, "Yes, I interrupted my clinical studies because ..... "Come up with a well written, intelligent statement. I took a break as well after PGY-1 and it wasn't the end of the world - and I trained in Texas. I was just honest - told them what I did, the dates, and no one asked me anything more of that.
Since you are an IMG, they will for sure ask more stuff - because you took your break "in between" your studies, inevitably you will have to talk to your DR school about this - perhaps write a statement that they can send out or something like that. The FCVS essentially just officially writes what they are told - they can't help you in this regard.

If I were you I certainly wouldn't write "No." That will come to haunt you long term, particularly since there is going to be a gaping hole in your studies which is hard to hide.

Did you finish school there and now want to do residency? I am confused.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
If your education at one institution that included your medical studies was interrupted, then I would also err on the side of caution and answer yes. You basically need to account for everyday of your life on the FCVS application during your medical training with no gaps in dates.

I reviewed the Texas medical board application and the supplemental Form U they refer to if you answer yes to that question. As Piebaldi said, for part one of the form, write up an explanation for this break just as you described. Something like "in the DR, I was educated at a single institution that included my pre-medical and medical studies. Prior to completing my pre-med courses in the DR, I moved to the U.S. after receiving a green card for 'reasons'. During my time in the U.S. (include dates), I did 'xyz' and returned to the DR on (date) to complete my pre-medical and medical studies."

Hopefully you didn't have any disciplinary actions during schooling, which you would definitely need to have supporting paperwork for in part two of the form. Otherwise, it should suffice to just attach your transcripts from your time in school that includes the dates you attended if you have them. If the board has more questions after you submit your application, then they'll notify you. Did the board specifically ask you for a letter from school or is this what you were inferring from the Form U instructions?

Reactions: 1 users
If your education at one institution that included your medical studies was interrupted, then I would also err on the side of caution and answer yes. You basically need to account for everyday of your life on the FCVS application during your medical training with no gaps in dates.

I reviewed the Texas medical board application and the supplemental Form U they refer to if you answer yes to that question. As Piebaldi said, for part one of the form, write up an explanation for this break just as you described. Something like "in the DR, I was educated at a single institution that included my pre-medical and medical studies. Prior to completing my pre-med courses in the DR, I moved to the U.S. after receiving a green card for 'reasons'. During my time in the U.S. (include dates), I did 'xyz' and returned to the DR on (date) to complete my pre-medical and medical studies."

Hopefully you didn't have any disciplinary actions during schooling, which you would definitely need to have supporting paperwork for in part two of the form. Otherwise, it should suffice to just attach your transcripts from your time in school that includes the dates you attended if you have them. If the board has more questions after you submit your application, then they'll notify you. Did the board specifically ask you for a letter from school or is this what you were inferring from the Form U instructions?

Precisely - and generally speaking, if you write a reasonable and HONEST explanation, the boards tend to be ok with them. If they feel you are being dishonest or otherwise shady, they will go digging which can become painful. So honesty upfront typically leads to better results

Precisely - and generally speaking, if you write a reasonable and HONEST explanation, the boards tend to be ok with them. If they feel you are being dishonest or otherwise shady, they will go digging which can become painful. So honesty upfront typically leads to better results

Agreed. Mostly they are trying to avoid people who were in jail for posing as a doctor while still a med student or for stealing narcotics or something dramatic. Most of the reasons are boring (took time off for sick family member, Did research). They just want to make sure it wasn’t anything crazy.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. Mostly they are trying to avoid people who were in jail for posing as a doctor while still a med student or for stealing narcotics or something dramatic. Most of the reasons are boring (took time off for sick family member, Did research). They just want to make sure it wasn’t anything crazy.
I review these all the time. Account for your time honestly. If your background check comes up negative, nobody will care.

Reactions: 2 users
I review these all the time. Account for your time honestly. If your background check comes up negative, nobody will care.

You review apps for med licenses? You are so versatile dude! I mean taht as a compliment btw.

• Love
How do you explain interruptions in residency? I switched specialties midway through residency. What sort of documentation do I have to sent FCVS?

How do you explain interruptions in residency? I switched specialties midway through residency. What sort of documentation do I have to sent FCVS?

Again FCVS is mostly for foreign grads. If you switched residencies you say exactly that - I transferred from residency x to residency y - dates x to x.

Again FCVS is mostly for foreign grads. If you switched residencies you say exactly that - I transferred from residency x to residency y - dates x to x.

But what sort of documentation do I have to send? Do I ask my prior PD to write a letter verifying my first residency that i did not finish or will FCVS contact that hospital and get the verification themselves?

But what sort of documentation do I have to send? Do I ask my prior PD to write a letter verifying my first residency that i did not finish or will FCVS contact that hospital and get the verification themselves?

Are you a foreign grad? i dont know the answer to that. you'd have to ask fcvs.

Hello!

Thanks

In similar shoes now, had to leave of absence for 2 years for some situation. wondering how did it turn out for you? Did they require more verification?