Just wanted not to leave you hanging with regard to the questions you have. My original plan for the school of pharmacy (coincidentally, since it was brought up in this post) came while I was a researcher. We worked alongside several pharmacist researchers at developing a drug delivery system that was effective to deliver vancomycin to the site of an orthopedic/biomedical device. Pharmacists with expertise who were available to work in this area were a valuable commodity to advancing our research, and in helped us to procure the foundational data that led to several patents.
Several years later, we began to explore the potential for a school that prepared students for careers both in and beyond the traditional. We hired and retained three separate consultants to do a fiscal analysis, a viability study and extensive research into the needs within the state. We have visited AACP, the NJ Pharmacists Association, APhA, NJSHP, Garden State Pharmacy Owners, the heads of pharmacy at 21 hospitals, the pharmacy district managers from 11 retail chains (including supermarkets, retail, major market, etc.). Additionally, we spoke to human resources folks from every big pharmacy corporation with a presence in the state, have spoken at length with about 8 biotech corporations (including the key industry leaders), have had extensive conversations with representatives from both HINJ and BioNJ, two major networks of healthcare and biotech industry leaders, and have spoken with the state lobbyists for both the retail and health systems folks.
The "majors" or concentrations were developed in direct answer to what these folks said the most lucrative pharmacy candidates would attain...these include skills and expertise in the areas of informatics, communication, genomics, regulatory, clinical research and business. As I stated earlier, it was these people and not I who stated the difficulty of filling pharmacist jobs in these areas. Believe me when I tell you that we, as a University, would have no desire to enter into a venture that is non-sustainable and destined to die on the vine.
With all this said, I intend this to be my last post. I welcome each of you with legitimate questions to contact me personally. However, I do not have the luxury of hurling comments behind the guise of anonymity. I don't feel that much of the content put forth in these discussions is valuable or productive in attaching my name to.
I wish you all the best in your professional endeavors.
Best Regards,
M
[email protected]