Fear of heights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would writing about my previous fear of heights and how I got over it be an appropriate and unique response to the prompt:

" .The Committee on Admissions invites you to share important and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.".

If you want to be laughed at it would be a good choice. Pick something else. That response doesn't even aswer the question.

I would definitely not write about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford? Yeah I'm sure they would prefer you to talk about a meaningful experience which allowed you to realize how much you would like to pursue medicine...or something along the lines of that (don't take my word for though because I don't remember how I responded). I would personally share that then combat the negative initial tone with one of triumph and succession. I'm sure someone else on here as a better idea though...with all of the hoot and holler about interview invites. Good luck:thumbup:

Stanford? Yeah I'm sure they would prefer you to talk about a meaningful experience which allowed you to realize how much you would like to pursue medicine...or something along the lines of that (don't take my word for though because I don't remember how I responded). I would personally share that then combat the negative initial tone with one of triumph and succession. I'm sure someone else on here as a better idea though...with all of the hoot and holler about interview invites. Good luck:thumbup:

dude! I totally used the same book when I took cancer bio =)
great book isn't it? I love chapter 15

Very unique take on it. I just don't know how you would connect that to influencing your career in medicine w/out making it sound like a stretch. I read somewhere that, in response to these diversity essays, someone wrote about how her clumsiness always ended up taking her to the doctor. That seems like a much easier connection to make in response to this specific prompt.

From reading through the Stanford thread, it seemed that they just want to know what makes you different from other applicants.

Notice that it says "IMPORTANT and/or challenging factors" so while most eyes immediately glare over to 'challenging,' I don't think that you need to write about an adversity. I'm sure there was some significant experience or activity that you had that might have been pivotal in your understanding of medicine and how you could contribute to it.

The only way you can truly test how scared you are of heights is to experience it. Go find the tallest building you can, jump of it, and talk about how you overcame your fear after……but I think you would either be telling God or Satan.

dude! I totally used the same book when I took cancer bio =)
great book isn't it? I love chapter 15

Awesome book....Loved the course. It changed my life and made me want to pursue Oncology. Before it I was just another Pre-Med who wanted to be a doctor. Ch 15 was cool but 13-14 I thought was the best. I think 14 wraps up the whole book and all the ideas that Dr. Weinberg speaks of in the book. 15 and 16 are purposed methods of future research...immunological treatments, chemotherapy targets, ect. I tell you though...I am a molecular bio master because of this book and course. Good call gloves

oh yea dancingthrulife...I totally agree with you. I was just giving an example. Just as long as its meaningful you know?? It can be challenging, challenging and important, or just important in the eyes of the writer but if "important" is the only concern then shouldn't she just write about her fear of heights??? It was obviously important enough for her to post the topic of heights on the world wide web. Hemichordate...just make it about something unique,challenging, important, and meaningful to YOU.

No harm, no foul intended dancingthulife

The only way you can truly test how scared you are of heights is to experience it. Go find the tallest building you can, jump of it, and talk about how you overcame your fear after……but I think you would either be telling God or Satan.

haha.....u better watch it man. Emotions are high during these months for all students.

Awesome book....Loved the course. It changed my life and made me want to pursue Oncology. Before it I was just another Pre-Med who wanted to be a doctor. Ch 15 was cool but 13-14 I thought was the best. I think 14 wraps up the whole book and all the ideas that Dr. Weinberg speaks of in the book. 15 and 16 are purposed methods of future research...immunological treatments, chemotherapy targets, ect. I tell you though...I am a molecular bio master because of this book and course. Good call gloves

oh yea dancingthrulife...I totally agree with you. I was just giving an example. Just as long as its meaningful you know?? It can be challenging, challenging and important, or just important in the eyes of the writer but if "important" is the only concern then shouldn't she just write about her fear of heights??? It was obviously important enough for her to post the topic of heights on the world wide web. Hemichordate...just make it about something unique,challenging, important, and meaningful to YOU.

No harm, no foul intended dancingthulife

No offense taken here! :)

I agree with your post. It should be something meaningful. Maybe something that, somehow, connected you with your patients. Maybe something that allowed you to see the adversities that they might face in the medical system?

OP: Your fear of heights still sounds like a stretch. I'm sure you can think of something else in the next few days. Ultimately, write about with what you feel the most comfortable with and hope for the best. Good luck! :)