Fears about going into pharmacy..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieBaby848

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are yours?

Members don't see this ad.

not being able to handle the workload. I'm thinking of doing pharmd/phd.

Members don't see this ad :)
not being able to handle the workload. I'm thinking of doing pharmd/phd.

Yes that definately will be a large workload..but I'm sure if that is what you choose to do then it will be worth it in the end.

Moving and heavy workload (especially papers-I am not a native speaker and I am not good at writing)

I'd have to say moving. Getting acclimated to a new city can be difficult and it makes it harder to perform at your best. If you knew that new city had your favorite restaurant right around the corner, you might do better in school. For me, if I get into a program that I applied to, out of state, I'll miss the awesome sushi restaurant less than a mile down the road from me. Best priced sushi and awesome quality!

Definitely the workload. I really really hope that all those 1500+ hours we will be having during pharmacy school will prepare me to deal with different situations that come up. I hope I don't disappoint anyone as a pharmacist, like how I approach and treat patients or giving wrong advice about drug treatments. I hope I can handle studying and everything that goes on in my life well in these coming 4 years =)!!

oh and one other concern is my appearing to look younger than my age(blessing and curse of being asian). I heard about younger-looking pharmacists who are looked down upon by patients because they don't look "experienced", thus not able to do their job well.

i will have to agree with all of you. I am scared of not getting in to any of the schools that i have applied to. If I get in to an out-of-state school, I do fear moving to a new state, especially since I will be moving by myself, leaving my friends, boyfriend, family behind. The workload does intimidate me but..it is so worth it. it is what we have all been working hard for these past couple of years. :)

A load of loan!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR

i will have to agree with all of you. I am scared of not getting in to any of the schools that i have applied to. If I get in to an out-of-state school, I do fear moving to a new state, especially since I will be moving by myself, leaving my friends, boyfriend, family behind. The workload does intimidate me but..it is so worth it. it is what we have all been working hard for these past couple of years. :)

I've moved 7 times in my life, four different states. Moving is the least of my worries. My wifes never lived outside a 7 mile Radius from the Hospital she was born in. I do worry for her. I do worry about the finances, but fortunately I got in/out of California real estate with a couple pennies to rub together, so it's not my biggest fear. I've been doing full load plus full/part time work for 8 years, so while I know I'll hate the workload, heck I'm used to it now. That just leaves not getting in. Even then I'll be done with classes and can take it easy, just volunteer and keep on keeping on. I guess fear is all about experience and perspective.

I've moved 7 times in my life, four different states. Moving is the least of my worries. My wifes never lived outside a 7 mile Radius from the Hospital she was born in. I do worry for her. I do worry about the finances, but fortunately I got in/out of California real estate with a couple pennies to rub together, so it's not my biggest fear. I've been doing full load plus full/part time work for 8 years, so while I know I'll hate the workload, heck I'm used to it now. That just leaves not getting in. Even then I'll be done with classes and can take it easy, just volunteer and keep on keeping on. I guess fear is all about experience and perspective.

I think moving is pretty low on my list of worries - the military has you bounce around from one duty station to the next - and 6 month deployments to remote locals are even more common... I would have to say rising to the academic challenges to come. They say Professional school isn't harder - there is just a whole lot more of it... ( how many of us have gone to school Mon-thursday for 8 hours a day recently?)

To be honest though - there is way more excitement than fear - Pharm school is just around the corner...

~above~

I keep having dreams that I didnt get in. Im so excited and everything is going so well it is hard for me to beleive that I got in and I start in a few months. The work load doesn't worry me, I plan on quitting my 40+ hour a week job and focus 100% on studying. Finally my wife can take care of me for a few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm scare of not getting in any school the most, then second is the workloads...and lastly moving :(

not getting in and the amount of loans that I will be taking out...:(

I am an Army brat, so moving is the least of my concerns.

We all have been busting our butts to get into pharmacy school, so the workload shouldn't be a problem either.

.....as for my fear, I know this might sound a little stupid, but I'm just a little scared that I won't get hired once I'm done with pharmacy school.....

Like many of those who have replied, I'm a little worried about moving - not so much for my sake (went to 7 different schools in 6 cities in 3 states K-12), but for that of my fiance/girlfriend. She lived in the same house in Phoenix for all of her life until coming to DFW for college; she has just now become fully acclimated after 2 full years here:laugh:!

I wouldn't have applied to pharmacy school if I didn't think I could handle the academics involved with the program and continuing education throughout my career. That said, I know that PharmD programs - any PharmD program - is cut-throat and very challenging.

Also, when I did some pharmacy shadowing at Walgreens, one of the pharmacists had procured a BS degree back in 1973. After (at the time of the conversation) 33 years in pharmacy, he told me that I'd better be prepared for continuing education because he still can't believe all of the changes he has seen in his working career.

I have to agree with him. I know community pharmacy has changed a lot since the 60's. My dad worked at a drug store 40 years ago and he had no license or official title of any kind. He filled prescriptions and delivered what would now be schedule II and III drugs to nursing homes in his community! Plus he tells me stories of the pharmacist having to frequently compound drugs with the mortar and pestle, which as I see it is mostly extinct in the community setting. And then the integration of computers and the progression of health care in general?

It'll be tough, but I'm sure glad to be doing a PharmD.

I'm a little worried about moving - not so much for my sake (went to 7 different schools in 6 cities in 3 states K-12), but for that of my fiance/girlfriend.

yup yup...I feel the same way. I'm worried about moving, but not for my sake either!!!

By the way, fiancee/girlfriend?? She can be both at the same time? :D

Moving, not being able to handle the workload, and not having enough time to keep in touch with friends/family/fiance, etc.

By the way, fiancee/girlfriend?? She can be both at the same time? :D

Jeez... That's a tough question to answer. If you mean from the gramatical standpoint that me as a man in a heterosexual relationship has a "fiancée" instead of a "fiancé," then "my grammatical bad" :laugh:!

Otherwise, I do not know of a better way to describe a long-term, live-in relationship with no set date for official, IRS and court admissible union:D.

Did you put a ring on her finger yet? If you haven't, then I don't think fiancee is the right word...lol...

If you did, how many karats? hahaha

Afraid not, KellyBean:). But due to personal beliefs against huge weddings and typical marriage traditions, a concern such as the mass of Carbon molecules affixed to a platinum/gold alloy band will likely never cross my mind :laugh:.

mass of Carbon molecules affixed to a platinum/gold alloy band will likely never cross my mind :laugh:.

how dare you call a diamond ring (a girl's best friend) with such an ugly name..."mass of carbon molecules"??? *Gasp* such an ugly description!!!

tsk tsk tsk..shame on you :D

how dare you call a diamond ring (a girl's best friend) with such an ugly name..."mass of carbon molecules"??? *Gasp* such an ugly description!!!

tsk tsk tsk..shame on you :D

While I don't share the same aversion to marriage, it is a mass of carbon molecules, and in my case dialuminum trioxide on my wifes' finger. The ring was ordered from a sporting goods store in Montana if that disgusts you any further.:D

While I don't share the same aversion to marriage, it is a mass of carbon molecules, and in my case dialuminum trioxide on my wifes' finger. The ring was ordered from a sporting goods store in Montana if that disgusts you any further.:D

:thumbup: Right on! Shopping mall kiosk jewelry store, here I come!

Oh, and it's not an aversion to marriage. Rather, I recognize that throughout North American society the religious aspect of marriage, like a holiday such as Christmas, has been removed for years. Plus, I just don't care for the ceremony =).

I'm feeling light-headed...I'm gonna faint

:thumbup: Right on! Shopping mall kiosk jewelry store, here I come!

Oh, and it's not an aversion to marriage. Rather, I recognize that throughout North American society the religious aspect of marriage, like a holiday such as Christmas, has been removed for years. Plus, I just don't care for the ceremony =).

I'm such a hijacker:rolleyes:

Personally sounds like a copout, but that's just me. I'd say marriage is exactly what you think it is. If you think it just another reason to have a ceremony and yearly treat-yourself to anniversary presents, then that's all it is. If you treat it like a serious commitment, requiring give and take and special attention, then you'll have a serious relationship-building experience. Besides JPs can do as private as you like.

You must have a lot of something to stand up and tell a woman no to diamonds haha. Either you found a great one or you love living in misery :)

As for my biggest fear....Staying at my job and actually being a good employee when I am counting down the days till I wave goodbye. of course me gone will be as productive as me sitting here at work typing this up.

You must have a lot of something to stand up and tell a woman no to diamonds haha. Either you found a great one or you love living in misery :)

As for my biggest fear....Staying at my job and actually being a good employee when I am counting down the days till I wave goodbye. of course me gone will be as productive as me sitting here at work typing this up.

HA...I am in the exact same position. However...I'm giving my notice in the next 30 minutes - CRAZY. I've worked here for two year, but spent the entire time looking forward to Pharm school. Finally, now that I'm accepted, I decided enough half-assing it at work, too exhausted to do either my work or prereqs well, too stressed to be nice to my hubbie...I quit.

Next up: part-time pharm tech making less than half of what I do now:(