AKA timing the market? I disagree. I think what builds the most wealth is time in the market. Most investment authorities agree (including Buffett, Lynch etc). Consider this thread:
http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/forums/1/120432/ShowThread.aspx
Heh, you can link all the random threads you'd like or get all the mutual fund groupies in the world to tell me, but I know what works for me.
I'm not a fundamental investor, or one who will just allocate among a few funds and plan to leave my $$ there for years on end.
If that's what works for you and that's what you are comfortable with, then please by all means.
Most bull markets last for 39 months on average and most bear markets last for 16-18 months. To hang on to your investments on the way down to me just doesn't make sense, especially when 3 out of 4 stocks follow the direction of the major trend.
Even if I setup my allocations for a bull run 1-2 months after it starts, I'll be ok. But in the mean time I'll hang on to my current returns in safer investments.
To a technician, timing the market or trading off of technical formations isn't nearly as crazy as some of you make it out to be. Some of (and most of) the most successful investors ever are actually more along the lines of traders as opposed to buy and hold forever investors like Buffet.
Also, I'd like to add most American's aren't financially savvy enough to invest in the first place, not to mention know when to sell their investments. How could any mainstream "authority" recommend anything but buy and hold?