Federal Direct Loan Deadline Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1nygiantsfan

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I was awarded a federal direct unsubsidized loan recently to an MD school and have to respond within 30 days whether I’ll accept/reduce/reject it. I’m still waiting to hear back from other MD schools post-interview and am on the waitlist for other MD schools. I’m wondering, what is advised in my situation?

1. Should I wait until close to the 30 day deadline to accept the loan?
2. Can I reject/return the loan after initially accepting it?
3. Can I transfer the loan to another school if I choose to matriculate into a different MD school than the one I accepted the loan for?