Federal Position and Title Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some federal jobs are posted as generic, throw everyhting at the kitchen sink position, with no job descriptions. What is the best way to find out what the job description and job position coding is, and what these codes mean? What documents would have this information, e.g. SF50?
Is it possible for find out what a pharmacist is coded as and what other information is used to determine job function and skills in the federal system when applying to new jobs and transferring.
I assume prospective managers use these codes and your resume? What else do they use? Is it customary to talk to your current federal manager? Is it true that HR disregards prior non-federal work experience/skills?

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes the announcement says nothing about what the job is and you might be able to reach out to the HR person for more info. Other times it's there but you have to dig for it (example: in the preferred experience section, it might mention what kind of experience they're looking for). To make matters worse, what positions are what grade isn't standardized...So a 12 at one VA could be doing the same thing as a 13 at another VA.

Thank yo ufor the response. I am also asking because I want to know what prospective federal employers utilize to vet current federal candidates. For instance, I was told by a fellow employee that one's performance reviews and resume are all that prospective employers look at--this has the site specific job description, along with the metrics and if one met them? What else do prospective federal employers utililze to make hiring decisions? is current manager standard, unlike the private sector? (I heard one can not check the box to contact current manager--is this frowned upon?)
If a pharmacist is unlucky enough to work in a clinic with few disease states or sick patients, how is this reflected in any documents utilized by prospective federal employers? Are federal pharmacists pigeon holed in their jobs, for lack of relevant experience to new positions--how strict is this? For new positions, how does "vetting" work, and do employees have to go through probationary periods again? Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think my boss was contacted for my current position until I was hired. However, I did have to provide several references. I think people often realize that it's common decency not to tell your current boss that you're applying to another job. However, It all depends on the individual workplace.

As far as probation, when you're done your probation, you don't have to do this again in a new position. I think the exception is if it's a supervisory position, you might need to do "supervisory probation".

Honestly, for positions, a lot of times they already have someone handpicked. If not, yeah then it's up to you making the resume reflective of what the position entails, and what the hiring manager wants, just like any other job. For the VA, some positions have "regional preference" for hiring in the same region, but not sure how that works at DoD.

I don't think my boss was contacted for my current position until I was hired. However, I did have to provide several references. I think people often realize that it's common decency not to tell your current boss that you're applying to another job. However, It all depends on the individual workplace.

As far as probation, when you're done your probation, you don't have to do this again in a new position. I think the exception is if it's a supervisory position, you might need to do "supervisory probation".

Honestly, for positions, a lot of times they already have someone handpicked. If not, yeah then it's up to you making the resume reflective of what the position entails, and what the hiring manager wants, just like any other job. For the VA, some positions have "regional preference" for hiring in the same region, but not sure how that works at DoD.
Thank you. I appreciate your knowledge. HR is pretty crummy across the board and I am reliant on talking to non-department personnel about these things. It's possible the man how gave me wrong info on the repeat probationary periods was mistaken in my context because he had a very varied federal career across many disparate dpts.
I was told by such a person that it would behoove me to participate in the crafting of my job description (site specific, as opposed to the OPM one) and the metrics, not only to be successful in the job here, but for the future, where I can add some clinical roles that are woefully lacking at the current clinic I've been pushed into. What is the best way to do this? This sounds crucial.
Also, he mentioned "vetting", as in how many years experience for that position are needed? We are pharmacists, therefore, I assume that it's clinical inpatient vs. ambcare and inpatient vs. outpatient staffing? Does "vetting" apply or is it more resume and job performance (with requisite job description and metrics)?
Basically,

A. When is it acceptable to move to another position for a new hire

B. What documents and references does the hiring manager utilize and in what order, resume, performance review, references, etc.

C. How much does the job description and metric lists pigeonhole a pharmacist into one type of position, diminishing chances to transfer/get a new job?

Thank you. I appreciate your knowledge. HR is pretty crummy across the board and I am reliant on talking to non-department personnel about these things. It's possible the man how gave me wrong info on the repeat probationary periods was mistaken in my context because he had a very varied federal career across many disparate dpts.
I was told by such a person that it would behoove me to participate in the crafting of my job description (site specific, as opposed to the OPM one) and the metrics, not only to be successful in the job here, but for the future, where I can add some clinical roles that are woefully lacking at the current clinic I've been pushed into. What is the best way to do this? This sounds crucial.
Also, he mentioned "vetting", as in how many years experience for that position are needed? We are pharmacists, therefore, I assume that it's clinical inpatient vs. ambcare and inpatient vs. outpatient staffing? Does "vetting" apply or is it more resume and job performance (with requisite job description and metrics)?
Basically,

A. When is it acceptable to move to another position for a new hire

B. What documents and references does the hiring manager utilize and in what order, resume, performance review, references, etc.

C. How much does the job description and metric lists pigeonhole a pharmacist into one type of position, diminishing chances to transfer/get a new job?
Answer to all of the above: it depends on the hiring manager, and who else is applying. I feel like people are pigeonholed mainly because other people are applying that have more relevant experience for a job (or because the hiring manager already has someone in mind and crafted the announcement to specifically prefer that person).

Sometimes the announcement says nothing about what the job is and you might be able to reach out to the HR person for more info. Other times it's there but you have to dig for it (example: in the preferred experience section, it might mention what kind of experience they're looking for). To make matters worse, what positions are what grade isn't standardized...So a 12 at one VA could be doing the same thing as a 13 at another VA.
Had a friend who got screwed over this, a VA 'clincial pharm" position, with KIAs almost exclusively clinical, talked himself out of the job by stressing clinical, while the job was totally inpatient staffing.

Is there a solution to finding out the job before the interview? Or what you are applying to? Is asking HR good, or it makes you look like a fool, etc.?

Reactions: 1 user
Just ask the person who is going to interview you, when you get the interview invite. I've definitely done that before (and found out the position wasn't what I thought).

Just ask the person who is going to interview you, when you get the interview invite. I've definitely done that before (and found out the position wasn't what I thought).
Has already happened to me; however, definitly leaves a sour taste in an interviewer's mouth. I found out all VA positions are referred to as clinical. One clue is that GS13s are real clinical, e.g. not filling. How strict is VA with credentials as opposed to experience with those roles? Any other clues per individual agencies? Thank you for your support?