IHS/Federal Bureau Prison Jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1114150

New grad with only retail exp and no residency but looking to transition into the military or public service pharmacy. Any insight on how competitive it is to obtain an IHS pharmacist position/FB prison pharmacist position?

I have some underserved volunteering and lots of pharmacy research. Not sure if this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

For a new grad with no residency, any government job is probably very hard to get. I once applied to a State prison and found out that they required a min. of 5 years exp & 3 years as a manager !!!
Well, there is no hurt to try. You may get lucky at remote locations.

what would u recommend in pharmacy for new grads w/noresidency that want to leave retail?

Members don't see this ad :)
what would u recommend in pharmacy for new grads w/noresidency that want to leave retail?
You have a few options:
_ Rural/remote safety net hospital: hopefully since no residency-trained RPh wants to live there, you may have a chance. Work there for a few years, get exp and maybe BCPS then you can apply for bigger hospital in metropolitan area.
_ Get a per diem job at a hospital.
_ Be a manager at a retail pharmacy. Learn to play the corporate game. Get a few years RXM exp on your resume, you will have a better chance to leave.

If you want lucrative jobs at desired location, you somehow have to make yourself a better candidate. That does require some serious hard work.

Reactions: 1 user
My recommendation to you would be to go on USAjobs and just apply to everything. See if anything pans out. Good thing about that is that you only need to be licensed in one state.
so we don't need to be licensed in the state we're applying for thru USAjobs?

so we don't need to be licensed in the state we're applying for thru USAjobs?

For fast track routes, many pharmacists who end up applying and receiving a federal job within the year graduating from school do a quick turn-around and apply to Idaho to take the MPJE (spoiler alert - there is no exam). Once you fill out the application for said state (Idaho), then you qualify for any position in the 50 states so long as you keep the license active.

Idaho State Board of Pharmacy License Application

Reactions: 1 user
Our intern applied for a fed prison job when he was a P2. I filled his background check and did a phone interview with the recruiter or back ground check guy. I was surprised that he got the job as a P3. I would love to leave my retail job for this.