Feedback From Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJWxMan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who has not received feedback from the places I have interviewed at? It seems like everyone else gets nice emails stating that they will be ranked high.

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only person who has not received feedback from the places I have interviewed at? It seems like everyone else gets nice emails stating that they will be ranked high.

Some programs have a systematic method for contacting applicants. Other programs are a little less transparent about it.

-AT.

have only gotten feedback from one or two programs I've interviewed at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only been to 3 places thus far, but they each seemed to handle feedback differently.

Lol. I am not ashamed to admit that I have been on several interviews and I have not heard a word... If that is any consolation. I like to think I am a fairly strong candidate--although osteopathic in nature. *gasp*;)

To make you feel better, I didn't know you could get feedback. I haven't heard from any of my programs. The only "feedback" I've gotten was during the interview at 2 programs. All the interviewers at both program said that they would hope that I would rank them highly. Which really doesn't mean anything.

A nice email from a program saying they will rank you highly means as much as you emailing a program saying you will rank them highly.

The bottom line is that my rank list won't change based on a email.

What if they've sent flowers and a Thanksgiving card?

That a good sign?

From my perpsective -- having been in your shoes a few years back, and now participating in the selection process for my own program, I wouldn't worry too much. I would guess that a number of the selection committees have yet to meet, and program rank lists don't appear to get firmed up until January/February... if you're not hearing back from your top programs during those months you might be right to worry a bit. But for now don't let your anxiety get the best of you! Good luck!

I can understand a quick email from a PD a few days after an interview, but a program contacting an applicant weeks or months after their interview? It just doesn't make too much sense, plus it's against the match terms. Tomato, I find your comments somewhat comical. "you might be right to worry a bit"? I just have a really hard time believing that ten or twenty applicants are emailed back about how highly a program thought of them. Are you suggesting that your program regularly contacts said interviewees with disregard for the match?

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that your program regularly contacts said interviewees with disregard for the match?

It is 100% NOT against the match terms for a program to offer information to an applicant about how they are ranking them, and many if not most programs do so. It is against the match terms for programs to inquire about rank position or to make conditional statements. You are likewise absolutely free to let a program know your opinion of them as well. However, there is a a special level of hell for applicants who tell more than one program that they are ranking them number one. On the flipside, there are programs that give very little information, and many of them are upfront about that as well.

I think Cambridge famously holds its cards close to its chest, while I think MGH's match list could easily be reconstructed as a function of the number of emails and Saturday morning phone calls you receive.

Most people understand that program feedback is not very meaningful. It's meant to make you feel good about the program, and to give the program the best chance of getting as high on their rank list as possible.

At my program, I was given the feedback, "If you rank us number one, we will see you in July." That's not a conditional statement, because where I ranked them would not affect how they ranked me, and whether I told them or not would also not affect my ranking. There was nothing unethical or against the match terms in that, and it made Match Day a comfortable experience.

I was on a pre-interview dinner and we were just talking about applying to residency programs in general. The two residents said that they were contacted by programs in January, ranging from e-mail, letters, and even phone calls.

Just in case there are any PD's reading this - feedback that you liked me might work!

The program I got into ranked me as #1 on their match list. I was told this by the program director after I got in.

I got no feedback whatsoever from the program, but worked there as a medstudent and residents would call me up & tell me they were supporting me.

It really depends on the program. Some as mentioned above do it in a systemic manner--several get a letter, even ones that are not favored. Others give none.

I don't know if this helps any, but all the program directors & coordinators I've seen during the interview process up until all spots are filled are up to their eyeballs in stress over this. Several would want to give favored candidates feedback but do not have the time to do so.