Feedback, ideas, suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adenine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for feedback, anything that I can reasonably do to improve my resume. I'm just beginning to tutor for TutorChatLive and I'm also interested in Habitat for Humanity (when the weather becomes a little warmer.) Currently working anywhere from 25 to ~55 hours a week (no school, already graduated), so anything that I can squeeze in between would be awesome. :)

Thanks in advance.

My basic resume:

cGPA: 3.79
MCAT: 11/8/11 - 30

Honors and Awards:
Graduated summa cum laude from CCSU
Biology Departmental Honors - Spring 2011
Dean's list at CCSU, Fall 2008 - Fall 2010
Member of Golden Key International Honour Society
Member of Phi Theta Kappa - Honor Society

Research Experience
Worked on a novel experiment involving RNAi, in vivo muscle stimulation and muscle ablation.

Associated presentation:
An in vivo model to examine the action of giant sarcomere associated proteins during muscle force production and plasticity.

Work Experience:
Specimen Processor
September 2011 - present
Responsibilities include: Ordering tests, verifying patient and test information, triaging specimens according to priority, communicating errors and mislabels to supervisors, delivering specimens to appropriate laboratory benches

Emergency Department Volunteer
November 2009 - present
Responsibilities include: Assisting medical staff, delivering patients to other departments, assisting patients and family members, making patients and family comfortable.

Laboratory Technician
May 2011 - present
Responsibilities included: Testing milk products for pathogens, butter fat and solid content, taste and viscosity, communicating with plant managers to resolve issues, organizing samples for plating, chemical and sensory testing

Job Shadowing - Pathologist
Summer 2009
Actively participated in making diagnoses and identifying diseases, assisted pathologists while preparing samples to be sent to the pathology lab.

Job Shadowing - Emergency Dept Physician
Various instances, basically followed the doc around for a few hours during various times

Other Activities:
Biology tutor at CCSU - January 2010 - December 2010, September 2011 - present
Taught basic biology concepts, helped students with biology and science related questions, homework and projects.

Treasurer for NORML@CCSU - Spring 2010 - Fall 2010
Planned and organized school-wide events, invited and organized vendors for events, contacted local and international businesses for donations, planned club activities, placed orders, maintained the budget.

Member of the Computer Club at CCSU - Fall 2008 - Fall 2010

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your application quite honestly looks great. Your GPA is fantastic, your ECs are very good, and your MCAT should be good enough. I think both of the above suggestions (tutoring and HFH) would be solid additions to your application.

(On a side note, you may want to remove the verbatim title and authorship of your presentation for anonymity :)).

What is your school list? You can definitely bank on an interview and acceptance if you apply early and broadly.
GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for feedback, anything that I can reasonably do to improve my resume. I'm just beginning to tutor for TutorChatLive and I'm also interested in Habitat for Humanity (when the weather becomes a little warmer.) Currently working anywhere from 25 to ~55 hours a week (no school, already graduated), so anything that I can squeeze in between would be awesome. :)

Thanks in advance.

My basic resume:

cGPA: 3.79
MCAT: 11/8/11 - 30

Honors and Awards:
Graduated summa cum laude from CCSU
Biology Departmental Honors - Spring 2011
Dean's list at CCSU, Fall 2008 - Fall 2010
Member of Golden Key International Honour Society
Member of Phi Theta Kappa - Honor Society

Research Experience
Worked on a novel experiment involving RNAi, in vivo muscle stimulation and muscle ablation.

Associated presentation:
An in vivo model to examine the action of giant sarcomere associated proteins during muscle force production and plasticity.

Work Experience:
Specimen Processor
September 2011 - present
Responsibilities include: Ordering tests, verifying patient and test information, triaging specimens according to priority, communicating errors and mislabels to supervisors, delivering specimens to appropriate laboratory benches

Emergency Department Volunteer
November 2009 - present
Responsibilities include: Assisting medical staff, delivering patients to other departments, assisting patients and family members, making patients and family comfortable.

Laboratory Technician
May 2011 - present
Responsibilities included: Testing milk products for pathogens, butter fat and solid content, taste and viscosity, communicating with plant managers to resolve issues, organizing samples for plating, chemical and sensory testing

Job Shadowing - Pathologist
Summer 2009
Actively participated in making diagnoses and identifying diseases, assisted pathologists while preparing samples to be sent to the pathology lab.

Job Shadowing - Emergency Dept Physician
Various instances, basically followed the doc around for a few hours during various times

Other Activities:
Biology tutor at CCSU - January 2010 - December 2010, September 2011 - present
Taught basic biology concepts, helped students with biology and science related questions, homework and projects.

Treasurer for NORML@CCSU - Spring 2010 - Fall 2010
Planned and organized school-wide events, invited and organized vendors for events, contacted local and international businesses for donations, planned club activities, placed orders, maintained the budget.

Member of the Computer Club at CCSU - Fall 2008 - Fall 2010
I would suggest adding a primary care doc, office-based if possible, to see that side of medicine (and more living patients interacting with their primary caretaker). If your total shadowing hours are less than 50 hours, bring it up to that mark. If over, then a day in a physician's office should be enough to add.

Last edited:
(On a side note, you may want to remove the verbatim title and authorship of your presentation for anonymity :)).

Lol, thank you for mentioning that. I remembered that little detail as I was driving off to work, oops! :)

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I will be sure to snag some more shadowing and follow through with habitat for humanity.

What is your school list? You can definitely bank on an interview and acceptance if you apply early and broadly.
GL.

I am not sure yet. I am still doing some research on schools in my GPA/MCAT range. I'm not certain that I have much of a preference - maybe UConn because I live so close, and I can stay near my family, but aside from that I'd be happy to go anywhere. Any suggestions?

Apply early and prewrite your secondaries if you have free time! You look really good :D

Here was my methodology when narrowing down my list:

1) # of applicants (I did not apply to any > 8000)
2) Average MCAT (+2 = reach, -2 = safety, all others = match)
3) Location, cost, etc

... I did not even look at average GPA since they are so similar between schools (and your GPA won't be the limiting criterion anyway)

Here was my methodology when narrowing down my list:

1) # of applicants (I did not apply to any > 8000)
2) Average MCAT (+2 = reach, -2 = safety, all others = match)
3) Location, cost, etc

... I did not even look at average GPA since they are so similar between schools (and your GPA won't be the limiting criterion anyway)

I've been using % interviewed and matriculated instead of applicant #. Is there any reason you went with the amount of applicants instead of the percentages?

I've been using % interviewed and matriculated instead of applicant #. Is there any reason you went with the amount of applicants instead of the percentages?

Nope, that works just as well. :) I just wanted to emphasize that #applicants/%accepted/etc is more important than any other factor (IMO).