Feedback-informed treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biscuitsbiscuits

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What Your Therapist Doesn’t Know

Thoughts?

I've always been drawn to this sort of thing (metrics, data- I loved Moneyball) so to me, this seems like a really exciting next step. Curious to hear thoughts from those with more experience in the field. Does anyone use anything like this in their therapy?

Members don't see this ad.

What Your Therapist Doesn’t Know

Thoughts?

I've always been drawn to this sort of thing (metrics, data- I loved Moneyball) so to me, this seems like a really exciting next step. Curious to hear thoughts from those with more experience in the field. Does anyone use anything like this in their therapy?

I'm not a therapist but as an RA for an inpatient psychiatric unit I know that one study I was in we developed feedback forms for both patients and the residents to see how well they matched up. Hopefully this would shed some light on how to help decrease the likelihood of suicide attempts but despite this goal it wasn't always well-received. I think it would be beneficial even for training doctoral students especially since more programs use video-recordings to analyze practicum performance.

We used a type of FIT in our graduate training clinic; it was mandatory for all patients. Despite being told that we were liable for any safety issues reported in the feedback measure (regardless of session content) most folks did not typically use the data collected, consistent with the findings reported in that news piece. But this was largely due to logistics rather than deliberate attempts to ignore them. Anecdotally, I recall a patient telling me weeks after the fact about her NSSI, which at the time appeared to come out of left-field. I went back and tracked her recent weekly responses on the feedback measure, and there it was.