MSW Feedback needed on practicum choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goobernut

LCSW
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just had an interview for a competitive stipend. The stipend is for students who go to primary care integrated sites (medical home sites for example). I was asked not to interview for the VA practicum as it is not one of the qualifying sites. I can understand this, they don't want me to waste their time by reviewing my materials and choosing me as a recipient only to turn it down and go with an offer from the VA. They will pick recipients for the stipend next week, but the VA interviews won't even start until mid Nov. So, if I don't receive the stipend, I can still interview for the VA.

I'm really conflicted. When I decided to go to grad school, it was with the end goal of working with military families as a therapist. I took the health practicum last year because I wanted a well rounded experience, and in part because I knew that the VA was attempting to move to a medical home/PACT model. In last year's practicum I really grew to love working in the primary care setting. Its face-paced, I really enjoyed working as part of a team, I really think the team model is the future of health care. I've also had more experience with the local military base and they underutilize their LCSW therapists (mostly commander referred visits etc). I've also heard mixed feedback about how the VA utilizes their social workers -- i.e. primarily as case managers. I've heard this varies by location, as some social worker interns are carrying a patient case load. It would help if I had facts about my local area.

I think what's really happening here in this post is that I'm trying to tell myself that it's okay to change my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course it's okay to change your mind :)

Is there a way for you to reach out to alumni of your program who interned at the VA? That way you can ask them what there experience was. It seems as if you may get the stipend that you just interviewed for. You have experience with the DoD and healthcare settings so if you go with a non VA placement you still have relevant work history when it comes down to applying for gov jobs after graduation.
I know this is a difficult decision. I would see if I was offered the stipend and ask how long I have to accept or decline. In the meantime reach out to current/past interns at the VA or even the intern coordinator to get a better picture of what an internship there can look like. Depending on your findings, make your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say go with whichever placement provides you with the best learning opportunity; if there's a possibility that this VA doesn't provide the internship experience you're looking for and one of these PCIS do, you can always take that experience with you after graduation and get into a VA that does. You don't need to intern there to work there (although I'm sure it helps). Plus, you seem to know what you want to do already :p
$0.02

Members don't see this ad :)
Wesley -- I think my anxiety comes from the fact that all I really want is the best learning opportunity, but I am unable to determine which site will really provide that. If I knew exactly what was going on at the VA, I think I'd feel better.

I can't decline the stipend at this point. Well past today anyway. She said that me turning down the stipend is what she was trying to avoid. If I don't get it, I can still interview at the VA. I have tried to locate students but people aren't getting back to me. Sooooooooooo really unclear about what goes on at the VA still. I thought I had more time to research this. The good news is the health stipend is more money than the VA stipend, so at least I'll have that. ugh...

I didn't know how to ask about the amount of the healthcare stipend without sounding awful...

Right?! You could have asked, we're all students lol. I had a long talk with a friend who is currently in the mental health field, and in her past career was HR for private mental health agencies. I asked her if taking the primary care placement would be detrimental to getting my licensure -- she said absolutely not. She gave many reasons that I won't bother to go into here (too much) but they made a lot of sense.

I would vote for the placement with the stipend. I selected my first practicum placement based on money and I was really conflicted about it because it involved teens and I didn't want to work with angry, resistant adolescents. Fast-forward a few years and I have a level of expertise in adolescent treatment that led to being the clinical director of an adolescent treatment program and loved every minute of it.