Feedback on My Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

unspecified

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I am looking for some feedback on my options to complete the requirements for med school. Originally, my career plan was to become a clinical social worker, and I will be graduating with my bachelors in Human Service Delivery and Administration this fall. However, I made the decision to change directions and go into med school.

My question is, what is my best course of action? I have not fulfilled the minimum science requirements for most med schools that I have looked at. I still need 16 hours of chemistry and 8 hours in one of the physical sciences. Should I just take those courses? Or should I try and get another degree in one of the recommended pre-med majors to try and bump my GPA up? My goal after completing my science requirements, is to take a gap year to work and study for the MCAT. Is there anything else I should be doing? Or, doing incorrectly?

My Info

Cumulative GPA 3.72, I do have 4 W’s over the course of a year due to having to move unexpectedly, and then having to change my schedule because of a death that caused extended responsibilities. I am pretty worried about the W’s.

720 hours of non-clinical volunteering during the past 4 years breakdown:

70 hours at a hippotherapy program (Current)

250 hours at a disability resource center

400 hours at an adoption and foster care agency (primarily research and grant writing)

I also have 250 hours (paid) running a homework room for elementary age children

Member of Tau Upsilon Alpha

Scheduled to start shadowing a doctor next month
 
You are in good shape. You could just take the science courses you need as a student at large. In addition to shadowing, getting some opportunities to be engaged with patients rather than just shadowing (watching) could be valuable.

Thank you!