Feedback Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mvince89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in my second year as student at Virginia Tech's Honors program.

My top choice is university of pittsburg or columbia. I choose these based on fit. Please let me know if I am competitive at these schools and others of similar caliber based on my credentials listed below. Keep in mind I will not be applying for another two years since I am a sophomore and am planing to take 1-2 years off to do teach for america or peace corps or something else. I mainly chose these schools since I want to do neurology. If anyone knows of an other good neurology programs please let me know!

* I am looking to apply to second tier schools (those just below Harvard, hopkins, mayo etc.) For example, Georgetown, NYU, BU, Tufts, Pitt, Columbia). Hope I am competative! I just want a good education so that I can go on to make a difference practicing medicine!

My credentials are as follows:

3.9 cGPA

3.8 sGPA

GPA excluding first semester freshmen year= 4.0

20+ credits per semester (8-9 classes)

Majors: Biochemistry, Psychology, Chemistry

Paying for entire education on own

Full-ride on scholarships

Resident Adviser (for Honors housing)

Working on independent research project with head of chemistry: synthesis of anti-cancer, anti-hiv, and fuel addittive compounds

participated as a research assistant in psychology during my freshmen year

conducted independent study on psychoanalysis (personal interest)

conducted a literature review with microbiology professor on bacteriological basis of lyme disease

co-founded a huge organization on campus

teaching excellence selection committee

honors system board member

university honors student representative for open houses

1st year excellence seminar student instructor

medical experience:

hospital preceptorship- program through our pre med program which sets
20 students up with different docs to shadow for one semester (i do this next semester)

shadowed family physician

shadowed podiatrist

currently shadowing an ER doctor

volunteering in the ER once per week during school year and 3 times per week during summer

internship at temple podiatry school

Teaching experience:

TA for 3 statistics courses

tutor for gen chem

TA for organic chem

1st year honors excellence seminar (required course for incoming honors students) volunteer student instrcutor

* all my TAing and tutor is done pro bono- that is free of charge to help the students

Awards:

many scholarships including the college of science rising senior scholarship which goes to one student per year. This is the topmost scholarship within the college of science. I received this as a sophomore since my credits qualify me as a senior.

also many awards including the outstanding service to campus leadership award which goes to one student per year for commitment to giving back to the university

Thanks in advance for your help. Please be critical of me. I appreciate all and any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt and Columbia are among the top ten most selective schools in the US. With a 35-36 MCAT score and your current GPA, with strong leadership, consistent substantive research with the same PI, some noncampus/nonmedical community service, teaching, and the usual and customary medically-related activities, you have a decent shot at your dream schools. This assumes supportive LORs, good PS, and appropriate interview skills. You've got a lot of that going and Peace Corps/Americorps/Teach for America will add the rest.

Thanks for the feedback!

You say I have a decent shot. Is there any advice you can offer to help me understand what is required to be more competative. I am in no way insinuating the I feel I am already very competative. I do not. I understand how extremely competative these medical schools are. I just want to know how you feel they will evaluate me based on my current record. And, what I can or should do to improve my chances.

Do you think I should add anything else to my plate? Honestly, I dont feel I could do much more without sacrificing the quality of work I do in each of my activities.

In any event, I sort of anticipate that my competitiveness will be determined by the mcat and not GPA or extracurriculars (assuming I finish with a 3.9 and continue all that I am currently doing). Please, let me know if I am incorrect.

Any feedback will be wholeheartedly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you get an MCAT of 40, you are not a shoo in. Strength in research (with pub if poossible), community service, and leadership are desirable. If you have all that, you get down to the intangibles: compelling PS that resonates with a given reader, LORs, maybe one from a guy who came from that institution, personal charisma and ability to sell oneself with interviewers, publication in a area that your interviewer feels is wow-level. All you can do is try to be the best.

I do suggest that you stick with the same PI and not jump ship, consider starting some nonmedical/noncampus community service even if only for two hours per week, start new initiatives with the large organization you founded, keep your grades high. Kill the MCAT.