Feedback prior to match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myostatin

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Seems like most programs have completed their interviews. I've been told by several people that many programs will, if they're very interested in you, inform you of this. Wondering if people have gotten phone calls / emails from PD's yet (not just replies to thank you notes), or if most of this manuvering is yet to come...

Members don't see this ad.

I got responses only to thank you letters. Most of them are generic.
These were some of them
"Good luck to you"
"We were very impressed with your interview"
"Hope to work with you in the future"
"Thanks for visiting us"
"Good luck with your fellowship search"- think this means go somewhere. We are not interested :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

One thing I understood from the interview process is we can be decieved from the big names pretty easy. Each program is different.
I guess we have to wait till June 18th.

I wonder when most programs complete their rank lists? I know at least one of my potential programs told me they decided just a few days after the last interview date. Some programs are just finishing up now, of course, but others finish up in late March and I wonder whether their ranks are already decided and all my emails and phone calls will have no impact on the outcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most programs will tinker with their list up to the deadline (6/4). We've started to hash out a tentative list already and will jostle it around until the deadline.

Some tips....

If you are really interested in a program you should let them know. Be specific if they are your top choice or in your top few. General interest notes aren't as powerful as saying, "You will be my top choice." Although that says something to us (more than the generalized notes/emails), understand that we won't necessarily believe it 100%. Everyone has been burned before!

If you haven't sent a note or an email and you are interested in the program you should definitely sit down and do that immediately. We take it as a sign that you aren't interested in us if you don't send a follow-up after your interview. Although we may love you, your ranking will reflect the fact that we haven't heard from you.

If you have a mentor who is willing to reach out to a program for you, ask them to do that for your top choice. They may start with an email in which they talk about how awesome you are and let the program know that it's your first choice. Then, if we have questions, we can write back or call.

Hope this helps.

If a program on my match list is listed as WITHDRAWN FROM MATCH and I know they give out spots outside the match, and haven't heard from them lately, does that mean I didn't get the spot? Or perhaps they are still deciding who to give the spot(s) to? I didn't know programs could do this (register to give 3 or 4 spots in the match, then at interviews just mention that they fill everything outside the match). There is so much subverting of the Match, I don't know why there even IS a Match. It seems silly to pretend you have a particular system, create a system, and then subvert it like so many programs do.

dragonfly... it sounds fishy that it says " withdrawan" on NRMP It seems while there's a lot of informal politicking, and essentially non-binding contracts that get made between programs and applicants, that it would be a violation to officially fill outside the match (?). I have heard of several programs that have unofficially made offers to applicants at this point. Perhaps there's some other reason for the withdrawal? At this point seems like it wouldn't hurt to email the PD and just ask them directly what the story is...

Actually the program did withdraw from the Match totally.
They can do this if they do it before a certain date/deadline.
I received a generic email from them that they will be giving out their spots within the next couple of weeks.
I haven't heard from them personally, so will assume soon that I didn't get one of their spots.
Drat! One less place to rank.