Feeling a primal urge to answer a certain secondary question with withering sarcasm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XildUpNawth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For instance, the question on most secondaries about what you're doing for the next year if you're not in school. Every time I come across that one, I want to write something along the lines of:

Since I have been working full time while completing my pre-reqs, studying for the MCAT and volunteering for the last two years, I plan to sit on my big ole bottom, complete secondaries and eat bonbons until the second I have to show up for my first day of med school. What's wrong with you people? Haven't you ever heard of rest? Just because I don't want to work my a$$ off during my last precious year before I become a hamster on the berzerk medical education spinny wheel doesn't mean I'm lazy or unmotivated. Anybody ever heard of a mental health year?

I feel like that question is meant to encourage you to foster your workaholic tendencies early, so they're good and ripe when you start school.

Members don't see this ad.

XildUpNawth said:
For instance, the question on most secondaries about what you're doing for the next year if you're not in school. Every time I come across that one, I want to write something along the lines of:

Since I have been working full time while completing my pre-reqs, studying for the MCAT and volunteering for the last two years, I plan to sit on my big ole bottom, complete secondaries and eat bonbons until the second I have to show up for my first day of med school. What's wrong with you people? Haven't you ever heard of rest? Just because I don't want to work my a$$ off during my last precious year before I become a hamster on the berzerk medical education spinny wheel doesn't mean I'm lazy or unmotivated. Anybody ever heard of a mental health year?

I feel like that question is meant to encourage you to foster your workaholic tendencies early, so they're good and ripe when you start school.

ahahah...i was going to put the same thing....like **** we havent we done enough b*ll **** to impress you already....do you want us to have a nervous breakdown then enter your med school only to ruin your school stats by dropping out....... :sleep:

XildUpNawth said:

That's funny...I think you echo the sentiments of many applicants here!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess you just don't get it: med schools want masochistic freaks who don't know how to enjoy anything other than research and service. Shame for sitting on your ass on SDN, shame for partying, shame for sleeping!

XildUpNawth said:

You will be cofounding and running the Pangaea Reformation Project, intended to "bring together the people of the world in a joyous celebration of unity and diversity."

Like most projects started by premeds, that means you will:

1. Get a bunch of people together who think the idea sounds fantastic for their medical school resume but have no intention of actually doing anything;

2. Have one meeting, throw around outrageous ideas, give each person a task to accomplish;

3. Run into each other by accident three weeks later and say you haven't been able to do anything for the PRP (even though your task was to buy napkins) because you're focusing on classes and studying for the MCAT.

That's the joy of cofounding something, I guess.