feeling jaded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudentwannab111

Reaction score
I'm feeling jaded about the premedical process. Advice on bouncing back after a bad semester/several bad premedical experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In several of my classes, I'd always end my first exam with a grade few points lower than what I wanted. I'd work harder for the next few exams, knowing I am capable of doing better, and end up scoring better on the subsequent exams. I found the first exam to be the most meaningful, because it is what brought about the motivation to do better on the next ones in the first place.

Use the bad semesters as motivation. There's no changing those grades or experiences now, so instead, use them to your advantage. When working through your new semesters, ask yourself if you want a repeat of the previous one. It helped me a lot.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hi! I just got accepted to a top tier program so I think I can now say, with confidence, that (at least for me) my premed process worked out. But I don't think your experience is entirely uncommon. Personally, the experience that stands out to me is the end of my sophomore year, because when I got my grades back I felt defeated. I'd averaged a 3.5 my first semester of sophomore year and was just bummed bc that wasn't good enough, so I'd spent all of spring semester working hard and I thought I was going for at least a 3.75 but I ended up w another 3.5. That was a hard moment for me, because I felt like I'd poured everything I had into that semester at the expense of my own emotional wellbeing and it hadn't been good enough, so I didn't know where to go.
This is where I think I'm going to sound corny but I honestly think sometimes you need to prioritize your own needs and figure out what you really want. After that feeling of failure, I took a step back and let myself think about what I needed, not what my classes need from me. I think it was because of that moment that I learned how to be a good student without feeling like I was losing myself, and I think that's kinda the key. The next semester my GPA went up to like a 3.75 I think, and then the rest of college after that I averaged like a 3.9/4.0, which is kind of a surprising GPA trend bc that's when I took all my 300/400 level classes. I honestly don't think I saw that growth by running myself into the ground. I saw it because I actually stopped to take inventory of the ways I needed to grow, and realized many of them weren't classroom based.
Figure out what you need, and who in your life you have to support you (for me it's my current partner who I actually met literally the day after I got those sophomore year grades and he's been instrumental for helping me take care of myself and not get lost in the hard times.) I also think if you're an undergrad right now, figure out whether dealing with the hard times and the bureaucracy is worth it for you. I think for all of us who stick with it, it's because we've discovered a deep rooted drive that (at least for myself) means that when I see my life in 20 years I can't see myself being happy doing anything other than medicine, and that keeps me going when things are hard.
This ended up being a long post, but good luck! I hope any some of that resonated with your journey, and I hope you find things and people that make it feel worth pushing through the premed process!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
frustrated because working hard but not seeing the results in grades, dealing with bureaucracy, etc.

You've taken physics I assume or some version of it. The best analogy I've heard is related to physics.

W = Fdcos(theta).

If your force isn't directly parallel to the direction you're trying to move, then you're losing force to a different component. So sometimes, it's important to re-evaluate whatever strategy you're using. Whether it's study strategies, where time is going (order of priorities), etc etc.

Most times, being the finance chair of that silly pre-med club isn't worth a B in a chem or physics course. Sometimes, it's important to zoom out to see what actually matters and what's just fat.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I'm feeling jaded about the premedical process. Advice on bouncing back after a bad semester/several bad premedical experiences?
Your feelings are familiar. This is a tedious process that sometimes puts us in a not so great mood. So, first of all, know that it’s okay to feel that way sometimes.

Second, what part of your premedical experiences are causing you these feelings? Are you undertaking these experiences with your cohorts, on/off campus etc? Sometimes it’s better to diversify your experiences so that you are not in the same setting and with the same group of people both for your education and for your ECs. So if that is the case, consider venturing out a bit more and putting some distance between yourself and these experiences. Also check if you are around ‘gunner’ culture. It’s okay not to be in that environment. As generic as the premed experience looks most times, it’s also about following your own path so try to personalize your experiences to yourself and what interests you personally.

Third, this being the beginning of a new semester, embrace the new start. Even though it’s not strictly a clean slate, it’s somehow of a fresh start so try to look ahead and try not to dwell on past semesters.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
As a threshold matter, being a premed is not for everyone. Many people start as a premed and find wonderful careers and lives outside of medicine. Assuming that premed IS for you, learning how to study efficiently and effectively is the key. Spending more time studying ineffectively will not solve the problem. For example, you may be relying on rote memorization in areas where it would be more helpful to understand the underlying principles (because there is simply too much information to memorize without being able to put it into a paradigm). One way to institute positive change is to go over your shortcomings on an exam with your professor or a TA during office hours to discuss the problems you had, and get their suggestions for how to address those problems. Another way is to make use of the tutors/consulting services you have on campus so that you can work through problems and get suggestions from them. Do not be afraid to let go of what is comfortable and try something new. That may be difficult at first but rewarding in the end.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
You've taken physics I assume or some version of it. The best analogy I've heard is related to physics.

W = Fdcos(theta).

If your force isn't directly parallel to the direction you're trying to move, then you're losing force to a different component. So sometimes, it's important to re-evaluate whatever strategy you're using. Whether it's study strategies, where time is going (order of priorities), etc etc.

Most times, being the finance chair of that silly pre-med club isn't worth a B in a chem or physics course. Sometimes, it's important to zoom out to see what actually matters and what's just fat.
This is really wise. Thanks for your post.

• Care
I suggest everyone who feels exhaustion, apathy, disappointment in themselves, and so on, step into an empty room, make sure no one distracts you, comfortably sit down, and meditate for at least 5 minutes (using any favorite method, as there are countless). After that, write a short motivational text something like this https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/my-goal-to-become-a-psychiatric-nurse-practitioner/ about why you do certain things.
Personally, this exercise has always helped me, and at one point, I switched from a polytechnic university to medicine and psychology. The advantage of this exercise is obvious, as it is universal and can be used for any purpose. Who already uses this method of self-soothing? Please share.

Last edited:
jaded is the appropriate response to the premed process

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Being premed sucks, and honestly, most of the classes you're taking aren't even marginally related to clinical medicine.

Medical training is a crucible though, and I'm not sure there's another way to demonstrate who can handle it. Plus, you'll learn good study skills.

I was a 4.0, 520+ premed student and I still wound up with counseling, marriage troubles, and propranalol for test anxiety in medical school. Admittedly, I go to a crappy school, but still. You have to prove to us adcoms that you can handle the workload/stress.

Pay attention in all your biology classes and, surprisingly, physics II (your heart, lungs, and kidneys are all one big fluid dynamics system). Ochem I've found to be useless. Biochem comes back up

Edit: also, use Anki, and suddenly you will have more free time

• Love