Feeling awkward & depressed in MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i_o

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I wanted to ask about you guys' experience as MS3/4 going through clinical rotations and maybe get some advice. It's my third month in and I'm having mixed feelings about working with residents and attendings. I had a great time with one of my surgery teams -- woke up super motivated every day and looked forward to going in even on weekends. I really felt like I was part of the team and was making contributions to patient care. But on both my other services, I've had a hard time feeling comfortable/accepted. I ask a lot of questions and am very motivated to help the team out, but when I wake up in the morning and think about being ignored or dismissed, I just want to give up. I called in "sick" the other day just because I didn't think I could handle a day of trying to suck up (and failing) to residents who were completely uninterested in me. I don't mind doing bitch work and I don't mind the hours, but this feeling of social rejection is really getting me down. I feel awkward and disliked at every turn, and the feeling sucks.

Is anyone else having this experience? Has anyone gone through this and have advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not what you want to hear, but that feeling doesn't go away. It was the main reason I hated M3 and I'm so happy for it to be over. It sucks to feel unwanted and in the way all the time, having no purpose to be there but at the same time not being able to leave. I never got over that feeling but I learned to focus on other parts of M3 that made the days bearable. This is what worked for me, for some rotations more than others:

1. I tried focusing on all the cool things we got to see, do, and learn that I will probably never do again. I got to poke a human brain, catch a baby, and put in a g-tube. This required me to deal with some very dismissive and/or angry personalities but I told myself that I can handle the surgeon pretending I don't exist if that means I can poke some brains.

2. I stopped trying to impress the residents and attendings and focused on what I wanted to get out of the rotation, whether it was getting better at reading films or working on my oral presentation. Sometimes I got feedback or a teaching session from them, but if not, I would take a stab at interpreting a film (usually in my head) and then compare it to how they had read it. Same with my presentations.

3. I still asked a lot of questions because it helped pass the time and also often forced residents and attendings to acknowledge my presence. Even if they were dismissive on a regular basis, they were very good about answering my questions if I timed it correctly (during down time). Asking about their process for reading films, making a differential diagnosis, etc. was especially enlightening and couldn't be answered with "Go look it up."

4. I continued to bust my butt and tried to find ways to make the team's lives easier, partly because I hate people thinking I'm a slacker but also because it made me feel useful. For most rotations there's a job a med student can do (usually scut) and you'll get better at figuring that out as the year goes on.

5. I put a countdown on my phone of how many days I had left in a given rotation and checked it often when things got really bad. When the especially bad rotations were over, I rejoiced in the fact that I would NEVER have to do that again.

6. I made full use of our sick days, which you're already doing. I saved at least one for the last 2 weeks of each rotation in case I actually got sick. But 90% of them were used as "mental health days", which in my opinion is more important than staying home when you have the sniffles.

M3 doesn't get easier in this respect but you have to find ways to get internal satisfaction from what you're doing otherwise you will turn into a bitter and angry person by the end of the year (if not sooner).

Good luck! And remember, everything is temporary and will be over eventually.

Reactions: 6 users
Asking a *lot* of questions can be very counter productive to improving social interactions with residents and attendings especially if it a question that can be easily accessed with a google or UpToDate search.

You'll appreciate this more in residency and as an attending but for the most part all you want to do is finish work as soon as possible. Having someone constantly asks questions slows you down and may piss you off if you have a short temper as many people do. I'm not saying this is right, I am saying: this is reality.

What I found most effective in my med school years was if I was gonna talk to a resident or attending I'd talk to them about non medicine things. I rarely asked clinical questions and I got great reviews. Also I almost never asked questions during rounds to avoid pissing off residents. It's just human nature with such a subjective bull**** system. Just smile a lot and try to have fun rather than worry about people judging you about knowing clinical crap. Also, don't pull out your phone.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"This too shall pass."
Unless you're repeating the year, you'll never have to relive it again. Residency is a whole other animal to medical school.

What I found most effective in my med school years was if I was gonna talk to a resident or attending I'd talk to them about non medicine things. I rarely asked clinical questions and I got great reviews. Also I almost never asked questions during rounds to avoid pissing off residents. It's just human nature with such a subjective bull**** system. Just smile a lot and try to have fun rather than worry about people judging you about knowing clinical crap. Also, don't pull out your phone.
haha, so true.

It's odd for me to reflect on this now. As a student I thought it was all about learning, which is the obvious part to clinical rotations. After starting residency, i came appreciate the adjustment time I got as a student with getting comfortable in the work environment, and making the most out of social interactions. It's actually important to building and maintaining resilience, healthy work relationships etc. they all contribute to cohesiveness as a team or making referrals to other groups. No one wants to spend the long hours at work with a robot, you want to be with someone human, and fun. Someone to let off steam with.

It became eye opening for me, to see residents completely foreign to the hospital start work. Foreign in terms of language, culture, just about everything. It's like entering the workforce from a vacuum. they're forced to adapt very fast to an environment completely different to the one they're used to in too many ways to count. I felt very terrible for some of them, the ones that really struggled with this. Versus, students who've already some limited exposure and training in the system, it's like having a head start of 2 solid years.

It's weird saying this, but you're allowed to be awkward as a student. It's more forgivable to make mistakes and commit a faux pas. Everyone cuts you more slack. It becomes more sink or swim as a resident. It's much harder to hide.

Also, not everyone is suited for students and teaching either, bear with them. Wait till you get onto that next team that loves having students.

Some very useful advice in here in general.

Only other thing I could add - carry sneaky, pocket sized notes with you, if it's really boring. Carry a small notebook to record interesting cases or clinical pearls in. Just to allow yourself to make the most of your time if you're forced to be there anyway on a slower rotation. Just avoid being too obvious about it.

i think its a good start that you wanna help out on your rotation. its better than med students that are completely disinterested and want to leave

Reactions: 1 users
**** third year.

As was said above, unfortunately things may get worse before they get better. But there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Even being a resident (even an intern) is, conservatively, 100000x better than being a med student.

Figure out how to honor the rotation (usually the answer is "just study for the shelf") and do that. That's your job and your mission this year, not to "help the team" or absorb the idiosyncratic, mostly useless "wisdom" of a bunch of random residents and attendings (unless they're actually smart, of course).

This is not what you want to hear, but that feeling doesn't go away. It was the main reason I hated M3 and I'm so happy for it to be over. It sucks to feel unwanted and in the way all the time, having no purpose to be there but at the same time not being able to leave. I never got over that feeling but I learned to focus on other parts of M3 that made the days bearable. This is what worked for me, for some rotations more than others:

1. I tried focusing on all the cool things we got to see, do, and learn that I will probably never do again. I got to poke a human brain, catch a baby, and put in a g-tube. This required me to deal with some very dismissive and/or angry personalities but I told myself that I can handle the surgeon pretending I don't exist if that means I can poke some brains.

2. I stopped trying to impress the residents and attendings and focused on what I wanted to get out of the rotation, whether it was getting better at reading films or working on my oral presentation. Sometimes I got feedback or a teaching session from them, but if not, I would take a stab at interpreting a film (usually in my head) and then compare it to how they had read it. Same with my presentations.

3. I still asked a lot of questions because it helped pass the time and also often forced residents and attendings to acknowledge my presence. Even if they were dismissive on a regular basis, they were very good about answering my questions if I timed it correctly (during down time). Asking about their process for reading films, making a differential diagnosis, etc. was especially enlightening and couldn't be answered with "Go look it up."

4. I continued to bust my butt and tried to find ways to make the team's lives easier, partly because I hate people thinking I'm a slacker but also because it made me feel useful. For most rotations there's a job a med student can do (usually scut) and you'll get better at figuring that out as the year goes on.

5. I put a countdown on my phone of how many days I had left in a given rotation and checked it often when things got really bad. When the especially bad rotations were over, I rejoiced in the fact that I would NEVER have to do that again.

6. I made full use of our sick days, which you're already doing. I saved at least one for the last 2 weeks of each rotation in case I actually got sick. But 90% of them were used as "mental health days", which in my opinion is more important than staying home when you have the sniffles.

M3 doesn't get easier in this respect but you have to find ways to get internal satisfaction from what you're doing otherwise you will turn into a bitter and angry person by the end of the year (if not sooner).

Good luck! And remember, everything is temporary and will be over eventually.

This was an excellent post. Very true

Especially the stop trying to impress the residents. I found that once I didn't care what they thought, they ended up accepting me more!

Hey all. I wanted to ask about you guys' experience as MS3/4 going through clinical rotations and maybe get some advice. It's my third month in and I'm having mixed feelings about working with residents and attendings. I had a great time with one of my surgery teams -- woke up super motivated every day and looked forward to going in even on weekends. I really felt like I was part of the team and was making contributions to patient care. But on both my other services, I've had a hard time feeling comfortable/accepted. I ask a lot of questions and am very motivated to help the team out, but when I wake up in the morning and think about being ignored or dismissed, I just want to give up. I called in "sick" the other day just because I didn't think I could handle a day of trying to suck up (and failing) to residents who were completely uninterested in me. I don't mind doing bitch work and I don't mind the hours, but this feeling of social rejection is really getting me down. I feel awkward and disliked at every turn, and the feeling sucks.

Is anyone else having this experience? Has anyone gone through this and have advice?

I thought third year of medical school was one of the longest and most depressing years of my life. That feeling of dreading going into the hospital every day is all too familiar. I too started third year with a great attitude, only to develop that "what's the point feeling" early in the clinical years. I am glad you managed to get through three months before it set it. I started on Ob/Gyn, so my soul was crushed within 4 hours of arriving at the hospital.

I am now the senior resident at my program, so I have run the full gamut of all the rotations. Some things never change no matter where you are, but I have come to realize that student, intern, and resident experience is more about hospital culture than anything else.

Some thoughts:

- Most of the residents are just trying to stay afloat themselves. The interns are brand new this time of year, so they are pretty much drowning. The junior residents are also new to that role and sudden uptick in actual responsibility, so they are preoccupied. The senior resident (like me) are now seasoned veterans of not being around unless necessary, so you don't see them as much. This is a tragedy because they are the ones who can actually teach a student something real.

- Interns are lousy sources of learning. They are newbies. You should beware of the intern who seems like they know everything (this is true if you are a patient as well!) Some of them are very smart, but all of them are inexperienced. Ironically, the medical students seem to spend most of their time paired with an intern, which is just stupid. It's like the blind leading the blind. Hanging around the intern all day is a guaranteed way to get the least out of your rotation. I mean...arn't you sick of watching them type progress notes already?

- The senior resident on the service is the person you want to pay attention to. Ask them to text you whenever anything cool is going on. Tell them you want to stay in the loop, but it's hard because students are often an afterthought. Ask them to go see any new patients first, and if you can present them to the senior separate from the intern, so you can get some practice. Not all seniors are approachable or available, and often that is just the way it is, but I had several amazing senior residents who I remember fondly to this day, and they really can turn a rotation around.

- you need to be reading....I am NOT talking about studying for exams ( you need to pass the exams too). I am talking making the connections between clinical practice and academic medicine. This comes from reading up about cases. This advice is is true when you graduate and are an intern, when you become a resident, and when you are an attending. You are still a newbie, but soon you will develop an eye for who is a good doctor or not, and the defining characteristic is that the bad doctors don't read, and are not up to date. If you are NOT reading, it will show. No one likes the medical student who is too stupid or lazy to read about something, and tries to cover up their knowledge by being buddy buddy, Drives me crazy. Don't be that guy.

- Start to focus on the Assessment and Plan. Identify the problems the patient has, and what interventions we are doing to fix them. Taking this step into the larger world is critical to making the transition into clinical medicine

- If you want skills, you need to be aggressive about getting them. If nothing is going on, see if you can go down to ER and start some IV's. I am now really good at starting IV's, because I have done hundreds. This required me asking a lot of nurses for help, I often got rejected. I often got laughed at. I made some damn bloody messes out of a few of them. Some patients had a less than good experience.....O well. Now I am the guy who can get any IV, especially with an ultrasound (havn't missed one in two years).

- Realize that it will take years to fully develop into what you want to be, the journey is hard, its depressing, but in the end totally worth it. I remember feeling just like you did. I remember thinking only about when it would end. I remember drinking too much. I remember being bored out of my F'ing mind, sitting in the library doing nothing while my team who paid students no attention was whoknowswhere. It's been 5 years since then, and now I make the calls. I walk in and the Attending says "Thank God your here, the department is a mess" It's kinda fun really. You will get there too.

Reactions: 12 users
I feel like a complete tool too.

For one, my first rotation is surgery (fml) and our rotations are only 1 month (CCC system), and we are expected to take shelf. I just did uworld for surg, got 60% correct on first time and that put me at 20th percentile. Real bummer.

Have to remember it is a job and not a social club. IF you have never had a real job before, then you might not know that usually you do not like your coworkers and many are dinguses. So just show up and do your best.

Personally, I hate being a resident more. I still feel more like a student than a physician. Except for doing all the work. Then, it is time for me to be a physician. The whole process sucks. Med school and residency. Shame we can't do this whole thing better.

I try not to ignore students and get them involved as much as I can. But, sometimes, I have so much work to do I just have to get it done and they just have to get out of my way. So, try and think about it from all perspectives if the residents seem stressed out and overworked.

Reactions: 3 users
Everything said above.

Also, learn this mantra and live it. "I can do anything for 4 weeks." A rotation is only so long. Even if it is a certain kind of hell, it has a defined end point that you can look forward to, and that isn't going to magically extend itself. Maybe it is that I've worked some really awful jobs where there was no end in sight, but just knowing that, no matter how bad it may be, it will, inevitably stop, has been an enormous comfort to me. I've also heard it said "They can't stop the clock." But I like mine, better.

I can do anything for 4 weeks. And the first day of the next rotation is a whole new experience, a new set of opportunities. So, when what I'm doing is not meeting my expectations, I can make the best of it and try to learn as much as I can, and keep my attention on the long term... I can look outside the frame of the rotation for whatever I'm missing inside it. If the education isn't great, that is an easy fix with all the resources to which we have access. If the residents are cold toward me, I can reach out to friends and mentors to meet those kinds of needs. Meanwhile, get through the month one day at a time and then it is over.

That was the pattern of thought that I used to get through some really horrible nursing school rotations, where the grade was entirely subjective, based the evaluation of a clinical preceptor who was peeved by the very existence of students (only, those were 8 weeks at a time.) It has served me well so far in med school, too, where at least some of the grade comes from the shelf and where more of the preceptors actually do want to teach.

Reactions: 1 users